Which Lodge (AKL or WL) do you like better and why?

redfive13

Planning a rather large group trip to WDW in 2010 andwe are interested in either the AKL or WL. Which one do you like and why? For instance, everyone will say the Savannah view is the reason for the AKL, but what would some other reasons be?

Phonedave

A vote for WL (or even better the villas) here

In no particular order

1) Artist Point, aside from V&A, my #1 spot to eat.

2) Savannah view = meh. I have had crappy savanna views where all I saw was the occasional bird. Really, its not that all fired great. Out of a week, you maybe get 3 hours of what I would call views that is better than a zoo.

3) Transportation at the WL is much better

4) Availability of water recreation options at WL

5) The scale and grandeur of the WL is just very impressive (not that the AKL does not have impressive scale, the WL is just more so)

-dave

Upvote 0

corey154

Both are great in their own...but my vote is for WL....the location is great. You can jump over to Ft Wilderness and enjoy a campfire sing-a-long and movie...or jump over to any of the monerail loop resorts for dining and shopping. At AK you're more secluded too, so if that's what you're going for then you might want to pick it. Other than animal kingdom, it's pretty far from the other parks. I didn't think the food court areas were too much different..maybe different food but both the same type places. WL has soft serve icecream machine, I don't remember that at AKL. Both pools are pretty nice.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

All the advice had been stored and I thank all! I have yet to visit either. Acouple of things have swayed me to WL.
1.) Location..boat or bus to MK for my then to be 4 y.o. and also the boat parade at night!
2.) As a child living out west, I grew up visiting places somewhat similar to the WL, so I would like to "relive" this and want my family to have a tiny feel to that, it also helps that they have bunk beds so my then 4 y.o. can have fun with this!
3.) Food is an issue, but not that big an issue..we will do fine wherever we eat!
4.) I DO want to visit AKL at somepoint and stay..so that will be another "stay"!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

All the advice had been stored and I thank all! I have yet to visit either. Acouple of things have swayed me to WL.
1.) Location..boat or bus to MK for my then to be 4 y.o. and also the boat parade at night!
2.) As a child living out west, I grew up visiting places somewhat similar to the WL, so I would like to "relive" this and want my family to have a tiny feel to that, it also helps that they have bunk beds so my then 4 y.o. can have fun with this!
3.) Food is an issue, but not that big an issue..we will do fine wherever we eat!
4.) I DO want to visit AKL at somepoint and stay..so that will be another "stay"!

As someone pointed out, a great thing about staying at WL is your so close to the monorail resorts and all their food options. The boat ride to the Contemporary is less than 5 minutes. You've got Chef Mickey's California Grille, The Wave. Then, you're a monorail ride from Ohana, Kona Cafe, Narcoosee's, Citrico's, GF Cafe, not to mention the MK restaurants.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

As someone pointed out, a great thing about staying at WL is your so close to the monorail resorts and all their food options. The boat ride to the Contemporary is less than 5 minutes. You've got Chef Mickey's California Grille, The Wave. Then, you're a monorail ride from Ohana, Kona Cafe, Narcoosee's, Citrico's, GF Cafe, not to mention the MK restaurants.
Thank you! I know that we will do at least 2 character meals..(already done Chef Mickey's)..and one of those will be the last day..and the Poly could be the one! Of course, we could always change our mind..I will be with 3 other women...:lol:..just kidding...:lookaroun

Upvote 0

flscooman

I own DVC at AK, and have stayed at WL twice.
and quickly.

As far as pools go, I would have given the nod to WL, until Kidani Village was added. The two pools at the AKL resorts, to me, beat out the WL. Kidani's pool includes a superior slide, and a wonderful kid's play area. The only question I have is: Would you have access to it if you stay in Jambo House, and are not a DVC member or staying in a DVC room?

you are aloud to pool hop between Jambo and Kidani. You do not have to be DVC member to do so. You just have to be regestered at one or the other.

Upvote 0

Maryssa*

I'd say WL.. AMAZING pool, THE best lobby, great restaurants, and a little more conveniently located... AKL isn't near anything except AK so the bus trips everywhere else take a bit longer.

Younger kids may like the AKL better because WL may seem "boring" to them, I dunno =p

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Interesting responses ... I'll be fully qualified to answer this in February! This will be our first stay at WL - we've been to AKL twice. From a high level view, I'm curious about people's opinions here because I find the resorts to be quite similar.

I'm not sure how anyone could favor having no savannah at WL over having the savannah at AKL but that just shows you that different people are interested in different things. Perhaps having the boat transportation and proximity to more parks at WL offsets that perk for some. I found the food to be excellent at AKL but we have a wide range of tastes and really enjoy the variety.

I plan on keeping an open mind since AKL is my fav resort so far but we'll see if my opinion changes in Feb!

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

I have not stayed at AKL, but we have visited and eaten there. We have stayed at WL about a half dozen times.

WL wins hands down. Location, location, location. The most important park at Walt Disney World is the Magic Kingdom. WL is closer to the MK than any but the monorail resorts. That's enough for me.

I realize the same designer did both resorts. I'm just more impressed with the Pacific Northwest style than the African village style.

Sames goes for restaurants. I much prefer the food at WL, though I was pleasantly surprised at Boma. (confessing it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be). My crew is not the most adventurous when it comes to eating.

MK access overcomes the shared buses to other places for me. AKL does have its own buses everywhere and that is a plus. But it is out in a corner of the World.

The lakes and the boats are also a big plus at the WL and unavailable at AKL.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

We was going to leave the Crescent Lake Area for a short w/e trip at AKL Club Level to run the Everest Race this June.

Don't think so any longer. Poor reviews and Savannah seems hit or miss. Also, no fault to Disney (I underastand how nature works) I want to see hippos, elephants, giraffes and big animals outside my window. Not birds and deer/cattle look-alikes. All of which are from a distance and therefore small to the eye. Complete with dirt service roads in plain view.

Stayed at WL before, really liked it a lot, but never returned. We will now.

Upvote 0

Buzzfan86

I have stayed at both AKL and WL . I guess it all depends on what park you like more . I like magic kingdom more so we stay at the WL. AKL does have a great view with the savannah , but like everyone else WL has a good pool . I would choose WL all they way .

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

Both awesome! But I'll give a slight edge to AKL because I'm a bar/lounge guy and Victoria Fall's lounge in the AKL is the best in WDW.
Although WL's Territory lounge at WL may be #2.

I get a kick out of the constant mention of the Poly every time a resort conversation comes up.
I know people love the Poly, and I like it too. But is it Disney's best? CMON? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

I think if people went to Hawaii or the South Pacific and stayed at a real Polynesian resort, the bloom would be off the Poly's rose.
The Poly is a nice place to stay, but compared to a real, quality, beachside tropical resort.
Again, not even close.

On the other hand, resorts like the WL and AKL hold up well and even have some extra ammenities that the real things lack.

Head to Polynesia folks, afterwards very few of you will still pop the Poly into other resort's conversations.
Just my opinion. :shrug:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I get a kick out of the constant mention of the Poly every time a resort conversation comes up.
I know people love the Poly, and I like it too. But is it Disney's best? CMON? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

The Poly is a nice place to stay, but compared to a real, quality, beachside tropical resort.
Again, not even close.

On the other hand, resorts like the WL and AKL hold up well and even have some extra ammenities that the real things lack.

I agree. When we stayed at the Poly in fact, we kept wishing we had stayed at WL. WL is much more of a Deluxe Resort. The rooms aren't as big, but they're big enough. The Poly is very worn down in places, and some of it is just plain dirty.

I really like the grounds at the Poly and the location can't be beat, but that's where it ends for me.

Upvote 0

rainfully

I am not a fan of AKL... it's too far away from everything. WL is beautiful... you get that secluded feeling without actually being secluded.

Upvote 0

fredtom

As always, it will come down to personal choice and what type of theming and atmosphere you would like. Both resorts are beautiful with amazing attention to detail. As has been mentioned, you do have boat transportation to MK from WL-- and AKL does not share busses. WL is closer to MK-- and AKL, of course, is close to DAK.

It will depend on how much seeing the animals means to you. If that's what you prefer, then choose a savana view at AKL. It is a unique experience. It's so fascinating to be able to see the animals in a natural setting anytime day or night, and you will often not want to leave your balcony.

There is no wrong choice. Stay at one this trip, then the other next time. If your trip is for at least a week... stay a few nights at each one. Transferring resorts is easy.

Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

We've stayed at both but we haven't stayed at AKL since they opened up their DVC wing. I'd have problems choosing too, especially if I were paying out of pocket as opposed to using DVC points.

We spent hours enjoying the views of the savannah. We love Boma, a must-do every trip, and while we also love Whispering Canyon, if we had to choose it'd be Boma (especially if you're choosing solely on food, with theming and the colofulness of the wait staff not being a factor). Neither Mara or Roaring Forks is an awesome Quick Service Location, but I found the layout and size and selection at Mara to be better.* Enjoyed the feeling of isolation at AKL as well. Like the gift shop more. Like the design of the lobby and reading up on the artifacts/displays throughout. We always have a car on trips, but when we do use transportation, we thought AKL's was better.

Those are the advantages to AKL. As for WL...

It is a great location, as others have said, and a boat ride to the Contemporary gets you access to the other monorail resorts as well. Also a bus ride or walk over to Fort Wilderness for their amenities, from the animals to the Hoop De Doo Revue to the campfire singalongs and outdoor movies. I prefer WL's pool over AKL's.** If you have kids in your party who will want to spend as much time at the MK as humanly possible, the location at WL is ideal. The boat ride is infinitely more exciting - that buildup of suspense as you approach the main gate - than a bus ride to the drop-off. There were times when my wife wanted to go back to the room and take a nap but I was awake, so I'd hop on the boat and spend an hour in MK doing attractions she's not as interested in visiting (or re-visiting). And then there's the option of renting boats, the Electric Water Pageant at night...

Honestly, I don't think there's a wrong choice to make.

* As I said, I prefer Mara over Roaring Forks, but since I haven't been to AKL since they opened their Vacation Club wing, I don't know if it's become too busy. The DVC wing doesn't have their own food court, so anyone having to trek over to Jambo House for a "quick" meal - and is probably angry for the extra walk or ride - might make eating there significantly less enjoyable. Than again, maybe not.

** - I honestly don't know if the pool/water recreation are is open at Kidani Village. I ALSO don't know if someone staying at AKL but not in a DVC room (or is not a DVC member) will be able to access it, and how stringently they plan to enforce the rule if they're not. I do know, based on sketches and plans, that it looks like it's going to try to give the Beach Club's pool a run for its money as the best on property, and will probably kick the WL's pool's butt.

Upvote 0

GoofyRebel

Like most have we have stayed at WL, AKL Jambo House 2 times, and AKL Kidani last week. Liked them all, but AKL either place was the best. Seemed like we had to share busses all the time when we were at WL. They always seemed crowded. At AKL, I think I had to stand on a bus only a few times during the three trips. At AKL the time between parks may have seemed a little longer, but in the end I think it ended up about the same length of time.
Don't know how large your group is or how they would mind, but we just stayed in a two bedroom savannah view villa at Kidani. We had 7 adults, a 5 year old and 2 year old. We were very comfortable with two bedrooms, three bathrooms and the pullouts in the living room. Were able to send the little one back with the grandparents and they could easily put him to bed. The pool at Kidani was also great. The sprinkler area for the kids was really fun. This option came out cheaper for us as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom