Which is the safer option at this point???

Laura

Premium Member
To drive or to fly, that is the question.

I'm really conflicted over this. I leave for Disney in exactly 3 weeks. All along we have been planning to drive. I am not really concerned about the cost of gas, but the availability. I'll need 4 full tanks to get there and back.

But on the other hand, if we flew, there's the possibility of Orlando airport closing now??

So which is the safer bet at this point?

I did the calculations and found I could fly my family of 4 roundtrip instead of drive, and stay another night at Poly (Lagoon view) and spend another full day in Disney for only $300 more than the cost of not having that extra night and day and having to drive each way. The problem is I think I'd lose my mind having to use Magical Express and bus transportation for 11 days, so a rental car would be another $300 on top of that.

Anyway, I'm just trying to decide what is the safest option. I'd have to decide quickly as we are leaving in only 3 weeks!

mousebymarriage

swimmom said:
I am almost certain that there will be a shortage of gas and I would feel much safer flying, especially with small children. When you are driving, you just don't know where you may encounter gas stations out of fuel or limiting purchases.

I agree with swimmom. Getting stuck on the side of the road with no gas and a couple of little kids is not the way to start a vacation!

Upvote 0

ernste40

I'm driving from Wisconsin on the 21st to WDW, but I am not concerned. Most of the shortages currently are media-panic induced. Rumors of runs on gas, ridiculously high prices and stories like "my so-and-so friend saw a station empty and gas at $15/gallon" cause people to go nuts and not realize that much of it is hyperbole.

Is gas more expensive? Yes, that is expected in the wake of a 8% decrease in production from the storm.

In three weeks will the whole country be bone dry of gas and will their be mass anarchy all over from gas shortages like Road Warrior? I doubt it.

I am not worrying. I am assuming by the 21st, gas will have settled down a bit. We'll probably pay 2.65-2.90/gallon on the way down, but that is worth it for the beautiful areas of the country we get to pass through and visit on the way down.

The point is, if people would settle down and not pay attention to rumors and the media frenzy that fuels panic, we'd all pay a bit more for gas than usual, but we'd also avoid a whole bunch of craziness.

Upvote 0

abe_bb

Driving from wisconsin? Wow. I don't think I could... not with a five year old and my mother in law. The care would seem just a little too crowded after a while.

So we are flying out, and no concerns (mainly thanks to brich and a wonderful manager at Disney Travel). I really do not think there is going to be any problems with the flight, EXCEPT maybe a delay (or even bumped up to an earlier flight) due to the airlines "merging" flights to fill empty seats.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

No way would major airports close. Worst case scenario would be cancellations or 'merging' flights like abe_bb stated. Gas is expesive, and will be more expensive. I live in the northeast, and there are no shortages or anything like that here. I agree that most of it is media driven insanity and it should all pass soon. I am leaving in 25 days and am not concerned about flying. I would be more concerned about driving within the next couple of weeks, only because you are already experiencing gas outages/shortages. I say book the flights and give the rental car a miss. Disney transportation is not all that bad, and it will save you a couple hundred dollars that you don't need to spend. Going to WDW and putting it on credit is better than no trip at all, but saving the most money you can and still going is the BEST!

Upvote 0

mhead

ernste40 said:
I'm driving from Wisconsin on the 21st to WDW, but I am not concerned. Most of the shortages currently are media-panic induced. Rumors of runs on gas, ridiculously high prices and stories like "my so-and-so friend saw a station empty and gas at $15/gallon" cause people to go nuts and not realize that much of it is hyperbole.

Is gas more expensive? Yes, that is expected in the wake of a 8% decrease in production from the storm.

In three weeks will the whole country be bone dry of gas and will their be mass anarchy all over from gas shortages like Road Warrior? I doubt it.

I am not worrying. I am assuming by the 21st, gas will have settled down a bit. We'll probably pay 2.65-2.90/gallon on the way down, but that is worth it for the beautiful areas of the country we get to pass through and visit on the way down.

The point is, if people would settle down and not pay attention to rumors and the media frenzy that fuels panic, we'd all pay a bit more for gas than usual, but we'd also avoid a whole bunch of craziness.

WELL SAID and I TOTALLY agree!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

I plan to call AAA a few days before my trip to check on gas availability along the route. Since I prefer going state roads rather than interstates, I will feel better knowing in advance I can fill up in the small towns in south Georgia. If there is any doubt, I'll take the interstates instead. There will always be gas at interstate exits.

Upvote 0

MSTINKHERBELL01

hcswingfield said:
I plan to call AAA a few days before my trip to check on gas availability along the route. Since I prefer going state roads rather than interstates, I will feel better knowing in advance I can fill up in the small towns in south Georgia. If there is any doubt, I'll take the interstates instead. There will always be gas at interstate exits.

Hcs when will your next visit be?

MSTINKHERBELL01

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

we live in tallahassee and they are running out of gas here. alex's family in miami says that there are some shortages. last night on the news gov. bush said that there is enough fuel for the weekend and after that it will depend largely on the shipments that come in next week. here in town and in miai the prices have really gone up

traci

Upvote 0

phichi17

I booked a flight from Pensacola to MCO last night after reading this thread. My thoughts are it is better to be safe than sorry. Sure, I am paying more for a flight, but geting strandd on the side of the road does not appeal.

I agree with a previous poster in that most of this shortage in panic induced - everyone filling every last container thy can find with gas - but I am trying to err on the safe side and ensure transportation there and back.

Upvote 0

RickEff

If you're concerned about gas for your vehicle, don't let it get below half before filling up again. That gives a couple of hundred miles to play with. A few more stops, and a little less economy would put your mind at ease.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We leave in a little over 80 days. I have already checked into alternate routes since I10 is in question. We checked into flying and even if gas is double what we budgeted, driving is still more economical. I would rather deal with higher gas prices and a 16 hour drive than get through airport security with cary-ons, stroller, kids, etc.....you have to open and start all electrical equipment, cameras, laptops, its too much of a hassle....

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

hakunamatata said:
you have to open and start all electrical equipment, cameras, laptops, its too much of a hassle....

Geez, I've never had to start up any of my electrical items and I always travel with my laptop and digital camera.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Laura,
While I really prefer flying and using Disney transportation, you are clearly in a different position with the little ones and the way you do the parks. While I don't believe there will be any problem with the airports, I don't think the gas problem will last beyond this week...mostly panic and hype IMHO.

So with that said, I would suggest you stick with driving, it allows for the type of vacation you are used to timing, transport and flexability wise. As was suggested previously, to increase your comfort, call AAA before leaving to get trip route information.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ClemsonTigger said:
Laura,
While I really prefer flying and using Disney transportation, you are clearly in a different position with the little ones and the way you do the parks. While I don't believe there will be any problem with the airports, I don't think the gas problem will last beyond this week...mostly panic and hype IMHO.

So with that said, I would suggest you stick with driving, it allows for the type of vacation you are used to timing, transport and flexability wise. As was suggested previously, to increase your comfort, call AAA before leaving to get trip route information.

Very sound advice.....

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

now with all this going on ,what about when we do getto the disneyworld resort...for those of us using the disney transportation..how will that be affected?? will they havea shortage as well?? we are leaving next friday...sept 9th...just curious...anybody have a clue???

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dixiegirl said:
now with all this going on ,what about when we do getto the disneyworld resort...for those of us using the disney transportation..how will that be affected?? will they havea shortage as well?? we are leaving next friday...sept 9th...just curious...anybody have a clue???

I would not worry about that.....

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and opinions. Helps me so much!

I talked everything over with my husband and we've decided to stick to the original plan of driving. I like the idea of never letting gas get below half a tank, that should give us plenty of leeway.

But, after doing all my figuring I figured out I could still stay an extra night at Poly with the Lagoon view for only $133 more! So I called Disney and added another day to my trip. I'm so excited!

I just hope the gas situation will get better soon!

Upvote 0

MrBearr

the safer option

We are like the others who have posted here have concerns. We leave for WDW in 2 weeks. We have had air tickets for over 3 months and have reserved a rental car for a 2 day usuage. We have to re-adjust our budget for fuel increase costs, but I have read everything there has been to read whether or not Orlando will be functioning when we are due to arrive, is most likely that it will be operating, Everyone from industry analysts (oil) to the airline leaders, to the governer of Florida, are commenting that shortages may occur and only because of logistics of trying to get the fuel from point A to point B. and on that note, we have to just trust and believe the powers to be have or are working on alternatives to keep things going. We are not going to let worries get the best of our magical moment. Make alternate backup plans if that will help calm your worries.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom