Which do you recommend?

LinaBelle

My parents and I are planning a trip to the World next year and are in need of opinions. My mom and I want to surprise my father with making reservations at a deluxe resort. We first thought of Polynesian Resort and had a great time when we made reservations for dinner there 2 years ago. But, he also likes the Contemporary Resort.

Opinions are greatly appreciated. :wave:

fractal

We loved the Beach Club and are staying there again in less than 2 weeks.

Great location - especially if you like Epcot. and great pool.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

It really depends on what you father enjoys. If he likes a lodge overlooking animals, AKL. If he likes a northern national forest setting, WL. If he likes the Pacific feel, Poly. What I am getting at is they all have their little niche.

If you are stuck on Poly and CR only, why not split the stay and get the best of both?

Upvote 0

bgraham34

It really depends on what you father enjoys. If he likes a lodge overlooking animals, AKL. If he likes a northern national forest setting, WL. If he likes the Pacific feel, Poly. What I am getting at is they all have their little niche.

If you are stuck on Poly and CR only, why not split the stay and get the best of both?

As BigRedDad said it all depends what he likes, another great option for the laid back feeling is OKW resort.

Upvote 0

Pete C

I have not stayed at either of those, however I can give you this observation: going by the many threads about favorite resorts and least favorite resorts that I have read over the years, the Polynesian consistently lands on the 'most favorite' lists while the Contemporary often lands on the 'least favorite'. That is not to say that the Contemporary is a bad choice, just that its theme does not seem to appeal to as many people as the Poly.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Theme is very important. This is great advice.
I will add to it by saying it also depends on what you want your trip to look like. If you want to spend a lot of time at your resort, look at the different activities they offer. If you want a hot tub or particular pool types, look at that. If you want to spend most of your trip at the MK, pick a monorail resort. If you want to spend a lot of time in the World Showcase (like me), pick the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

LinaBelle

Original Poster
Theme is very important. This is great advice.
I will add to it by saying it also depends on what you want your trip to look like. If you want to spend a lot of time at your resort, look at the different activities they offer. If you want a hot tub or particular pool types, look at that. If you want to spend most of your trip at the MK, pick a monorail resort. If you want to spend a lot of time in the World Showcase (like me), pick the Beach Club.

We plan on staying for a week or so around Christmas time. My father does like a resort with a good theme because he loves to walk around and explore everything, which is why I've been leaning towards the Polynesian.

Upvote 0

Scuttle

We plan on staying for a week or so around Christmas time. My father does like a resort with a good theme because he loves to walk around and explore everything, which is why I've been leaning towards the Polynesian.

Remember how convenient the Poly is when deciding. It is incredibly convenient to be able to walk to two different monorail stations. Also when leaving Hollywood Studios or AK you can choose 2 different buses to get back. You can take the TTC bus or the MK resort bus. That to me is what makes the Poly the best resort on property. I don't think I have seen anyone point this out before either.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

I have got the feeling, that the Wilderness Lodge ist very popular especially among senior citizens. I talked with quite a lot at the WL and got that impression. And although the WL has no monorail it is still a MK resort and has newer and nicer (although quite smaller) rooms than the Poly (in our room at the Poly the furniture looked used and the cleanliness of the room was a little substandard)

Upvote 0

pixargal

We have enjoyed staying at both resorts, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. However, you should consider staying at the Wilderness Lodge, especially since it is around Christmas. The theming is wonderful for that time of year. When we were there several years ago around Christmas, they had different Christmas entertainment in the lobby at night. Also, there was a carriage ride availabe. We took a boat over to Contemporary and then rode the monorail to the different resorts and looked at the Christmas displays. Have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

If he likes a good theme, he'd love the Wilderness Lodge, especially at Cristmas! And as far as exploring goes, there's plenty to do right there, and it's a short walk to Fort Wilderness from there.

Upvote 0

LinaBelle

Original Poster
We have enjoyed staying at both resorts, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. However, you should consider staying at the Wilderness Lodge, especially since it is around Christmas. The theming is wonderful for that time of year. When we were there several years ago around Christmas, they had different Christmas entertainment in the lobby at night. Also, there was a carriage ride availabe. We took a boat over to Contemporary and then rode the monorail to the different resorts and looked at the Christmas displays. Have a wonderful time!
Okay, I'll definitely look into it. Thank you! :wave: This will be my first time at Wilderness if we decide on it.

Upvote 0

lbrad

I too highly recommend WL esp. at Christmas.
You will love the tree/decorations/activities in lobby.
Boat to MK and CR and take the monorail to POLY and GF.
Have a fantastic trip:xmas:

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

If you're looking into a greatly themed area I'd say go for either Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. They both have fantastic theming. I'd also look at the Polynesian which has the added benefit of being on the monorail. Really you can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. They all have their pros and cons.

Upvote 0

LinaBelle

Original Poster
If you're looking into a greatly themed area I'd say go for either Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. They both have fantastic theming. I'd also look at the Polynesian which has the added benefit of being on the monorail. Really you can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. They all have their pros and cons.
I agree. I've always enjoyed every resort I've been to. :)

Upvote 0

PixieMichele

WL v. Poly

I am currently at the end of my first stay at Wilderness Lodge. There are pros and cons but overall Polynesian will always get my vote.
WL is beautifully themed, the common areas are gorgeous and well kept but the rooms are a bit shabby, especially for a deluxe. The courtyard rooms are. Bit noisy bc of he hotel set up and pool location but it's gorgeous and there's lots to do here. You'll find the quiet pool not so quiet because of the DVC building location and there aren't as many dining options at WL as there are at Poly. The buses are hit and miss so having the monorail is a huge benefit. WL is "woodsy" and poly is "tropical" so whichever you think is best!

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

I LOVE Contemporary. My parents Honeymooned there 34 years ago and that's where my family stayed several times when I was a baby (so I always have this strange remembrance of it). My hubby and I also stayed there two nights on my Honeymoon last year. BUT I really only think it's worth it unless you step up to the Castle View room in the tower, which will always be a treat for us. I recall staying in one of the wings when I was in middle school and it being rather uneventful. I don't think we'll ever choose CR over another Deluxe unless we stayed in the tower facing the castle!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom