Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

Smooth

1642130500516.png

TrippedUp

If you really want this plane preserved long term, the west coast is a much better climate than Florida and there are extensive storage facilities out there that specialize in that. I'd imagine they already have a deal penned with a museum though, for after the expo. We'll see. Lets be real folks, that RCID storage location was a disgrace. Nothing good was going to happen keeping it there.

GimpYancIent

If you really want this plane preserved long term, the west coast is a much better climate than Florida and there are extensive storage facilities out there that specialize in that. I'd imagine they already have a deal penned with a museum though, for after the expo. We'll see. Lets be real folks, that RCID storage location was a disgrace. Nothing good was going to happen keeping it there.
Yes. On all counts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I heard putting things in a block of ice is the best way to get a head on preservation!

muddyrivers

I wonder if they'll actually get this plane certified to fly again or if it's just being restored for display purposes and transported to California. If the former, that takes a lot of money and I believe would require some new technology installed to be compliant with current FAA standards. I would be very impressed if Disney invested that much money in this older plane.

Squishy

I wonder if they'll actually get this plane certified to fly again or if it's just being restored for display purposes and transported to California. If the former, that takes a lot of money and I believe would require some new technology installed to be compliant with current FAA standards. I would be very impressed if Disney invested that much money in this older plane.
*Amazon

TikibirdLand

I very much doubt they'll be really restoring the plane. It's an empty shell, even without cockpit seats. Here's some photos from it's glory days:
gulfstream1.jpeg

And, here's what it looked like on the Backlot Tour. Note the tail number differences: 234MM vs the original 732G:
Disney%20Gulfstream%20I%20G159%2001.jpg

here's the reason for the discrepancy of the tail number. From a site that will go unamed:
Originally, N732G was the tail number when Walt Disney used the Gulfstream, with N234MM belonging to the Queen Air plane used while originally scouting land for the ‘Florida Project’, the tail number then moving to the King Air, before finally settling on the beloved Gulfstream that everyone knows as Walt’s plane.

From this description, I'm not sure this is even the plane used to scout the Florida Project. Sounds like it was used to fly between Burbank and Orlando to ferry Walt and other executives to oversee the start of the project however. IMO, those Beech planes need to be found and honored with the title, "Walt's Scouting Plane".

GimpYancIent

I wonder if the Smithsonian has any interest in his plane. They did just acquire a X-Wing.
A point brought up several times before. Regardless of how folks feel about the plane, or the location people want it stored at, this aircraft is a historic artifact. That equates to it having value. Thus far the low brow, unimaginative, short-sighted Disney brass has allowed the plane to deteriorate, as if hoping it would dissolve and go away. The Smithsonian Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Virginia takes donated aircraft of historic value (in far worse condition than the Disney plane) and restore them to near pristine condition then put them on display for all the public to enjoy. Walt's plane could be in the company of the Enola Gay, Blackbird and the Space Shuttle. So! this "plane" has value (as in $$$$$) in addition to historic. It is good that this attention and restoration / display effort is occurring, the question will be is this just a PR stunt and what is the future of the plane? Current management does not have a record of wise decisions.

Cmdr_Crimson

A point brought up several times before. Regardless of how folks feel about the plane, or the location people want it stored at, this aircraft is a historic artifact. That equates to it having value. Thus far the low brow, unimaginative, short-sighted Disney brass has allowed the plane to deteriorate, as if hoping it would dissolve and go away. The Smithsonian Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Virginia takes donated aircraft of historic value (in far worse condition than the Disney plane) and restore them to near pristine condition then put them on display for all the public to enjoy. Walt's plane could be in the company of the Enola Gay, Blackbird and the Space Shuttle. So! this "plane" has value (as in $$$$$) in addition to historic. It is good that this attention and restoration / display effort is occurring, the question will be is this just a PR stunt and what is the future of the plane? Current management does not have a record of wise decisions.
PR stunt...We're going to be seeing them do restore videos and Amazon this and Amazon that..I need to buy something now...Excuse me..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom