Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So was this plane only ever used for flyovers of the Florida project?

Yes this was the plane. Its last flight landed on World Drive in the 90's. Then it was on the Backlot Tour of Hollywood Studios.
I’m not so sure…the lawyers that handled the property scouting (in secret…can’t remember the names but I could look them up)…flew out of the way connectors and stayed under false names to make sure no press caught wind of it when all the important flights happened. I’m sure the planes were leased to their party.

walts plane would have been PR for the abc shows after the beans spilled

Disney Analyst

I’m not so sure…the lawyers that handled the property scouting (in secret…can’t remember the names but I could look them up)…flew out of the way connectors and stayed under false names to make sure no press caught wind of it when all the important flights happened. I’m sure the planes were leased to their party.

walts plane would have been PR for the abc shows after the beans spilled

I guess my question really is, someone said it has no place in California... did the plane never travel between California and Florida?

I don't know the flight history of this plane, but some seem quite angry that it is going west for D23.

JoeCamel

I actually had pictures of the plane from the backlot tour I will have to ask my mom if she still has them. I am actually surprised to see them even mess with it. I doubt they would have replaced the interior. I would love to see it return to WDW. If they really want to impress Fly it back and land on World Drive again!!! 😍 Return it home to WDW and PLEASE Give it a proper place for Walts Fans to see it. You notice I said WALTS FANS not TWDC fans...........
I would think they gave it a paint job and did nothing to the interior. Any views could be from the outside.

JoeCamel

Aircraft, Walt Disney’s The company plane was a pride and joy of Walt Disney. Throughout his career, the company used three planes, beginning with a Beechcraft Queen Air (1963–1965). The plane was traded in for a new tan and brown turboprop, the Beechcraft King Air (1965–1967), which was chosen for its fast and quiet features and used the N234MM tail number. The Disney pilots would make their initial air traffic call-ups, “Two, three, four, metro metro,” but would also try, “Two, three, four, Mickey Mouse,” an improper FAA communication. Soon, FAA en-route controllers began calling the Disney plane the “Mickey Mouse.” Other corporate pilots became quite jealous of Disney’s special treatment. A Grumman Gulfstream I was put in service in 1964 and was used to survey the Walt Disney World property during the Florida land acquisition along with other corporate purposes. Retired from service, the Gulfstream made its final landing on World Drive at Walt Disney World in 1992 and was put on display at the Studio Backlot Tour at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

brb1006

This is good news.

But there’s a small part of me that says this is DI$ “bringing up the name of the dead guy to try and score points with people we’ve seriously ****ed off in recent years”. Yes, they’ve pushed me to be that jaded.
I hope after D23, Disney might find a way to display the Plane somewhere at Walt Disney World in better condition in honor of Disney's 100th Anniversary for next year (wishful thinking for now).

Cmdr_Crimson

Let's land the plane on world drive, let it be displayed on the backlot tour with all the components gutted, leave out in a field in the backstage area wrapped up and sealed.......ONLY to revive it and bring it back to Anaheim to add the components again..
epic-facepalm.gif

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Throughout his career, the company used three planes, beginning with a Beechcraft Queen Air (1963–1965). The plane was traded in for a new tan and brown turboprop, the Beechcraft King Air (1965–1967), which was chosen for its fast and quiet features and used the N234MM tail number. The Disney pilots would make their initial air traffic call-ups, “Two, three, four, metro metro,” but would also try, “Two, three, four, Mickey Mouse,” an improper FAA communication. Soon, FAA en-route controllers began calling the Disney plane the “Mickey Mouse.” Other corporate pilots became quite jealous of Disney’s special treatment. A Grumman Gulfstream I was put in service in 1964 and was used to survey the Walt Disney World property during the Florida land acquisition along with other corporate purposes. Retired from service, the Gulfstream made its final landing on World Drive at Walt Disney World in 1992 and was put on display at the Studio Backlot Tour at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

If Walt didn't bother to save the old Disney planes for posterity... why are we?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom