Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
Valentines and Halloween are my least favorite toI. I hate dressing in costume and valentines always seemed fake.
Dress up days are the worst at school. I hate them so much. I didn't even like Halloween costumes as a kid. Really, the only holiday I couldn't live without is Christmas.

And actually I dislike Thanksgiving the most. But that's because it was always super boring for me as a kid. We'd always go to my dad's side where my brother and I had no cousins and just sat listening to adults talk. The "cook" always made the food super dry and only cooked what he liked. He'd get fussy when someone wanted to do anything different or bring something on their own. So terrible food with no fun has led me to dislike the holiday. You can be thankful for things every day.

Then probably Valentines Day and Halloween.

Mike S

It’s not a real holiday. It’s manufactured by the greeting card, chocolate, restaurant and floral industries to make people feel bad about themselves or obligated to show fake affection to others. Love those who mean something to you EVERY day and tell them EVERY day. Not when it’s 3x as expensive to do so.
I’ll take this view to feel better. Thanks.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Halloween: I like the season, as it's usually when we're climbing out of the "kick your hiney" ridiculous heat and into cooler, comfortable temperature. The day itself was fun when I was a child, but am pretty indifferent now.

Thanksgiving: Shouldn't even be a holiday (imo) but a daily mindset to pause and have gratitude for what we have.
The feasting & family get-together as an annual kickoff to the Christmas season is fine.

Christmas: Like the holiday, but love the season leading up to it much more. Wouldn't mind if the season, as far as decor & music is concerned, lasted until the end of February. That way, there'd be no winter doldrums blah period in Jan & Feb.

Valentine's Day: Indifferent.

Easter: This one's complicated. While it's nice to be climbing out of the miserable cold gray part of winter, in the back of your mind you know the summer heatwave is lurking not far behind.
Valentine’s Day - EVERY day is Valentine’s Day ...
or NO day is.

St. Paddy’s - who cares?

Easter - I love what the holiday represents. (Christmas is the beginning of the story. Easter is the punctuation mark.)

May 2-4 - generally anniversary weekend, and the unofficial start to summer in Canada. What’s not to love?

Thanksgiving - I’ve told you all a thousand times - not that big a deal up here. Can be celebrated on any of the Saturday, Sunday, or Monday - whichever suits your schedule.

Hallowe’en - didn’t even like dressing up as a kid 🤷🏼‍♀️

Christmas - I love everything about the holiday - the music, the food, the feelings of the season, the anticipation ....

New Year’s Eve - again another non-entity for us, although this past one was quite enjoyable.

Goofyernmost

Ah, yes... the Holidays...

I guess the older I get the grumpier I become.

Of all the holidays I like Christmas the best but with a slight caveat. When I was in print advertising I never got to enjoy the season because it was our busiest time. Same with retail. Now other then family time, which I love, it is just a time to spend money I don't have, on people who don't really appreciate it and will probably never use what was purchased.

Halloween was a lot more fun as a kid before our society started doing things like razor blades in candy. It was extremely cumbersome though due to the fact that living up north usually meant having to wear a jacket over what ever lame costume one had. I always enjoyed watching Disney on TV with the Adventures of Ichabod Crane or aka Sleepy hollow.
1581766357944.png

Thanksgiving is another family thing. The big meal I can do without and (this may sound strange) ever since the Kennedy Assassination, which happened just a few days before Thanksgiving that is more the focal point for my memories then anything else.

Which brings us to Valentine's Day. Strangely enough, I didn't really mind that fake holiday because by the time I matured it was almost impossible to show affection without stirring up paranoia. If you, in particular, bought your wife flowers just out of the blue the first question that would be thought was "OK, what did he do?". Valentine's Day, ironically abbreviated VD, was a time when you could express and show your caring without anyone thinking about what one is trying to cover up. :oops: It became more of an obligation then a real sentiment. I like that! You can't go wrong fulfilling an obligation.
Unless, the florists puts the wrong name on the accompanying card. 😱

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh my. Guess I'm the only one who likes the holidays -- all of them.

Let me see if I can cheer up this group. Since yesterday was Valentines Day (which I LOVE), today all the stores will be marking down all the Valentines candy, by at least 50%. I'm gonna stock up, and there will still be plenty for all of you to buy, too!! :joyfull:

NYwdwfan

Goofyernmost

I saw this story on the news yesterday. What a romantic and wonderful man. ❤

I know I am sounding like a negative Nellie this morning, but two things struck me when I read that. Actually I couldn't get past the part that said he had arranged to send flowers on Valentines Day for the rest of her life. My questions immediately was how was he going to pay for that and even if he intended to pay in advance how does he know how long she was going to live. Nice story, but it has a couple of glitches.

The second thought I had was if she was of the same dedication as he was, would I want to have that yearly reminder of my painful loss? One of the first things that came to mind for me was that my Mother always gave me a box of chocolate covered cherries for Christmas. They were my favorite and before she died she wrote a note to my sister and left it where it could be found easily after she passed away. She asked my sister to make sure that I got those candies every Christmas.

The thought was sweet and made with Love, but, for a number of years after her death every Christmas I got a wrapped present to me from "Mom". Being aware that my mind may well not conform to normal thought patterns, after the first year it just became creepy to me. I asked my sister to stop doing that because it just came with to many memories and none of them comforting. I probably just shouldn't have posted this but you know the old saying.. "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus". We don't always react the same way to the same thing.

Goofyernmost

Home Alone 2? Sure, why not?

Saturday afternoon tv stinks. At least until baseball season starts. 🙂
Then it will just be the Blue Jays stinking up the place! ;) Just guessing, but it seems like I remember a lot of whining last season. Almost the same cry of desperation that I heard from my Son in law and Grandson about the Baltimore Orioles every season. :p

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Then it will just be the Blue Jays stinking up the place! ;) Just guessing, but it seems like I remember a lot of whining last season. Almost the same cry of desperation that I heard from my Son in law and Grandson about the Baltimore Orioles every season. :p
The Jays are re-building. My understanding is that the Orioles just plain old suck. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom