Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

SteveBrickNJ

We had school nurses in elementary school. I don't think they were real nurses, I think they were just Nuns that were assigned that job because they knew how to apply band-aids. Mostly though they were there to check and see if you were bleeding from the ears. If you weren't you were sent back to class. If there was no blood coming from the head area, you weren't sick. In High School, we did have legitimate nurses, but, they acted pretty much the same as the Elementary ones did.
As I'm sure you know, I'm a instrumental music teacher in a public school. I'm pleased to report that our school nurse also works as an ER nurse at a nearby hospital.

Eric1955

For my last night we went to my favorite restaurant.
1F9855D0-8777-4551-B57C-9B2AD001282D.jpeg

FC7F3E0B-E693-4DB9-A322-AD70B12395C6.jpeg

1A4D1DDE-0CF0-4529-9CEF-1072446DC7E3.jpeg

I had Wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, and potato salad. So good!F5050E9B-68A5-4F25-BD8F-7C07075371C7.jpeg

E1E9AB35-E495-424F-9B83-7F4526FCA94B.jpeg

And the amazing live entertainment.
F0849740-B71F-4C71-A321-42A0DFA0AC0F.jpeg

6674D38E-7887-4FF3-82A6-1CC8408F921C.jpeg

It was a great last night. I love this place so much. If you’re in the Orlando area you should try Hollerbach’s in Sanford. It’s much better than Biergarten at Epcot, and it’s a lot cheaper.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
For my last night we went to my favorite restaurant.
View attachment 340684

View attachment 340689

View attachment 340683

I had Wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, and potato salad. So good!View attachment 340686

View attachment 340687

And the amazing live entertainment.
View attachment 340685

View attachment 340688

It was a great last night. I love this place so much. If you’re in the Orlando area you should try Hollerbach’s in Sanford. It’s much better than Biergarten at Epcot, and it’s a lot cheaper.
Road trip!

Songbird76

I can't imagine not having a school nurse. Nurses and office staff are the unsung heroes of schools.
Amen to that! They are the first responders to any emergency that happens at school, and having a trained medical professional on site can really make a huge difference. I also remember having an ambulance and EMTs stationed at football games in case someone got hurt, because sometimes you can't wait for an ambulance to arrive. Of course, in our case, the hospital was 40 miles away, so having the ambluance on site and ready was kind of crucial. I don't know if other schools in the district did that, or if it was just ours because we were so far away from the hospital.
But I really wish we had school nurses here. I got a call when DS was in 2nd grade...the teacher looked at him and he was stark white (well, he's ALWAYS pretty white....the kid is practically albino) and suddenly he was swaying and then he collapsed out of his chair. It would have been nice to have a nurse there to check him out right there rather than the teacher having to leave him to go get the phone and call me, and then wait for me to get there. At least if there's a nurse on sight, you can tell a kid "Go get the nurse!" and it's pretty quick. Even if she can't really treat him, she could at least assess the situation and decide if an ambulance should be called or what.

Songbird76

Well said. We also can't forget the janitors.

My elementary school had a school nurse. It was a small room adjacent to the Principal's office. I always found that a bit comical, considering that if you got an upset stomach over being sent to the Principal's... you had the nurse to run to just next door.

Throughout my K-5th grade years there... I never once had to visit either the nurse.
That's exactly where our nurse's office was! Right next to the principal's office. I never had to visit either the principal.

Songbird76

Yeah... but there aren't a lot of people around here who want to fill those positions. Especially a night custodian who works from 2-10pm. That's not the most attractive job. Very mundane. Same exact thing every night.
Our custodians were pretty good. I worked as a school custodian one summer when I was 15, and then I was a custodian in the dorms one summer of college. It's NOT a fun job and people really do take what you do for granted. The prevailing attitude of most kids is "That's what the janitor is for." Like...."I don't need to throw this in the trash....that's what the janitor is for." I remember in 6th grade, the custodians got so tired of the messy classrooms that they implemented a sort of star chart type thing. There was a bear cutout that they would hang up if the classroom was in decent shape when they came in to clean. If you didn't get a bear, the next day, you had to clean the classroom yourself. Teachers would get really anxious if it wasn't clean because they didn't want to have to clean it themselves and they couldn't keep kids after because so many of them rode the bus and the bus wouldn't wait....it wasn't fair to the other kids who would always be the ones who had to stay late because the bus kids couldn't.
Here, we don't have custodians at the school during the day. They come in for like an hour or 2 when the kids go home, they empty the trashes and they clean the bathrooms. That's it. They don't wipe down desks or clean floors. The kids have "classroom duty" in pairs. Two kids are assigned each week to sweep the floors, put materials away, put the chairs on the desks, etc. So the janitors here have it pretty easy.

Songbird76

😂 Not every happily married woman takes her husband’s name.
In the Netherlands, you aren't allowed to just take your husband's name. You HAVE to hyphenate. It was an issue for me, because we got married in the US and lived there for over a year before we got here, so I had already taken his name and my documents had his name on it, but my birth certificate still had my maiden name, obviously. They made me switch it back.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yeah... but there aren't a lot of people around here who want to fill those positions. Especially a night custodian who works from 2-10pm. That's not the most attractive job. Very mundane. Same exact thing every night.

Sorry to hear that you and your fellow teachers, etc., are dealing with this situation, and hope things get better in the future for all of you. (I can understand the 2-10 PM shift would be harder to fill. But an earlier shift shouldn't be as much of a challenge, I would presume.)

Although I don't have any facts in your school's example, I would still hope that if they're paying someone (or an outside company) for custodial services, they're at least getting the basics done. Even mundane jobs can be done well, if the correct person is hired. Some people like jobs like that, because they're on their own, and don't have a boss hanging over them.

Nemo14

Really nice, wooden hiking stick (approx. 4.5 ft. tall) has been in our hotel lost and found since late September. Nobody has called to claim it, and here we now sit in January.

I know a Rhode Islander (or two) who possibly would really appreciate this for their outdoor adventures, given the artwork on the top. It may be time to take this fellow home with me, let him mingle with the bear one I use, until I can swing down to a certain Kissimmee condo and release him to new owners...

View attachment 340698

View attachment 340699

View attachment 340700

:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom