• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
Really? They don't have them here in the Netherlands either, but there was always one at every school I ever went to or taught at. I was sent to the school nurse many times for scraped knees, fevers, getting sick, etc...and the school nurse administered mouthwash once a week in each class, checked for polio and lice once a year, and she taught us all about what to expect in puberty when we were in 5th or 6th grade.
I asked my husband what kids do here if they get sick, because we were always sent to the nurse's office to go lie down and she would check our temp, give us aspirin, etc. He said they just call you and you come pick them up. I asked where they waited because our nurse's office had 2 of those paper-lined beds that doctors' offices always have. He said you just had to go wait by the front doors. Yikes...I can't even imagine having to stand there while you feel awful. I was usually sound asleep by the time my mom came to pick me up. Sure enough, every time one of my kids got sick, it was the teacher who called and they had to stand by the door to wait for me.
What do you do in Canada if you get sick at school?
Same.

HouCuseChickie

Advertisement
Maybe it’s the socialized medicine thing up here.

Is the nurse full time? What medicine or treatment can he/she dispense?
All of our schools have full time nurses here and I'm so thankful for it. DD12 has life threatening food allergies and the nurse will be the one responsible for getting her full medical plan into action if she were to have a reaction at school. The nurse would have to cover at least her first injection from her epinephrine injector as well as the oral antihistimine. If emergency services took a while to get there, the nurse would also have to do the second epinephrine injection.

Then you have DD10 who plays hard at recess and PE...and really everything. I get calls from their nurse whenever she overdoes it and has some kind of epic wipe out :hilarious:

Tick Tock

Nurses and office staff are the unsung heroes of schools.
Well said. We also can't forget the janitors.

My elementary school had a school nurse. It was a small room adjacent to the Principal's office. I always found that a bit comical, considering that if you got an upset stomach over being sent to the Principal's... you had the nurse to run to just next door.

Throughout my K-5th grade years there... I never once had to visit either the nurse.

PUSH

Original Poster
Well said. We also can't forget the janitors.
Our custodians aren't great... they don't care and none of them fully do their jobs. The day one never checks bathrooms for soap or paper towels that need replacing, and he once took 3 hours to come to my room and clean up #1 that was on my floor (wasn't any of my kids... I think a kindergartner came in and did it while I was at a meeting and my kids were at a special). Our night custodians miss our rooms half the time, and they make messes in the workroom and leave it a disgusting mess so nobody wants to go in there.

But I'm taking nothing away from good custodians! Those ones are amazing!

Goofyernmost

School nurses. Not a thing in my experience.
Any one else?
We had school nurses in elementary school. I don't think they were real nurses, I think they were just Nuns that were assigned that job because they knew how to apply band-aids. Mostly though they were there to check and see if you were bleeding from the ears. If you weren't you were sent back to class. If there was no blood coming from the head area, you weren't sick. In High School, we did have legitimate nurses, but, they acted pretty much the same as the Elementary ones did.

Tick Tock

Our custodians aren't great... they don't care and none of them fully do their jobs. The day one never checks bathrooms for soap or paper towels that need replacing, and he once took 3 hours to come to my room and clean up #1 that was on my floor (wasn't any of my kids... I think a kindergartner came in and did it while I was at a meeting and my kids were at a special). Our night custodians miss our rooms half the time, and they make messes in the workroom and leave it a disgusting mess so nobody wants to go in there.
Wow. Sounds like they need to get on the ball or get out the door. No excuse for that.

PUSH

Original Poster
Wow. Sounds like they need to get on the ball or get out the door. No excuse for that.
Yeah... but there aren't a lot of people around here who want to fill those positions. Especially a night custodian who works from 2-10pm. That's not the most attractive job. Very mundane. Same exact thing every night.

SteveBrickNJ

We had school nurses in elementary school. I don't think they were real nurses, I think they were just Nuns that were assigned that job because they knew how to apply band-aids. Mostly though they were there to check and see if you were bleeding from the ears. If you weren't you were sent back to class. If there was no blood coming from the head area, you weren't sick. In High School, we did have legitimate nurses, but, they acted pretty much the same as the Elementary ones did.
As I'm sure you know, I'm a instrumental music teacher in a public school. I'm pleased to report that our school nurse also works as an ER nurse at a nearby hospital.

Eric1955

For my last night we went to my favorite restaurant.
1F9855D0-8777-4551-B57C-9B2AD001282D.jpeg

FC7F3E0B-E693-4DB9-A322-AD70B12395C6.jpeg

1A4D1DDE-0CF0-4529-9CEF-1072446DC7E3.jpeg

I had Wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, and potato salad. So good!F5050E9B-68A5-4F25-BD8F-7C07075371C7.jpeg

E1E9AB35-E495-424F-9B83-7F4526FCA94B.jpeg

And the amazing live entertainment.
F0849740-B71F-4C71-A321-42A0DFA0AC0F.jpeg

6674D38E-7887-4FF3-82A6-1CC8408F921C.jpeg

It was a great last night. I love this place so much. If you’re in the Orlando area you should try Hollerbach’s in Sanford. It’s much better than Biergarten at Epcot, and it’s a lot cheaper.

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
For my last night we went to my favorite restaurant.
View attachment 340684

View attachment 340689

View attachment 340683

I had Wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, and potato salad. So good!View attachment 340686

View attachment 340687

And the amazing live entertainment.
View attachment 340685

View attachment 340688

It was a great last night. I love this place so much. If you’re in the Orlando area you should try Hollerbach’s in Sanford. It’s much better than Biergarten at Epcot, and it’s a lot cheaper.
Road trip!

Songbird76

I can't imagine not having a school nurse. Nurses and office staff are the unsung heroes of schools.
Amen to that! They are the first responders to any emergency that happens at school, and having a trained medical professional on site can really make a huge difference. I also remember having an ambulance and EMTs stationed at football games in case someone got hurt, because sometimes you can't wait for an ambulance to arrive. Of course, in our case, the hospital was 40 miles away, so having the ambluance on site and ready was kind of crucial. I don't know if other schools in the district did that, or if it was just ours because we were so far away from the hospital.
But I really wish we had school nurses here. I got a call when DS was in 2nd grade...the teacher looked at him and he was stark white (well, he's ALWAYS pretty white....the kid is practically albino) and suddenly he was swaying and then he collapsed out of his chair. It would have been nice to have a nurse there to check him out right there rather than the teacher having to leave him to go get the phone and call me, and then wait for me to get there. At least if there's a nurse on sight, you can tell a kid "Go get the nurse!" and it's pretty quick. Even if she can't really treat him, she could at least assess the situation and decide if an ambulance should be called or what.

Top Bottom