Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
We're learning about the history of the earth at school right now, and today I was reviewing what the equator is called. I had a globe, and I ran my finger along the line. I asked what the line is called, and a student raised their hand and said, "umbilical cord". 🤣

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
There are very few department store chains in Canada. Almost all of the ones from my childhood are gone. (Okay, I’m old, but most of the stores from my kids’ childhood are also gone.)

Their first baby photos were taken at Sears … gone. My first job was at Woolco … gone. All of their baby clothes came from Zellers … gone. All of the decorations for my first Christmas tree came from Eaton’s … gone. K-Mart blue light specials … gone.

No more Towers, no more Simpsons, no more Lowe’s. And don’t even get me started on Tar-Jay’s epic 22 month/133 store flameout! (To be fair, Target deserved to tank here; they treated the Canadian consumer as if we second rate Americans. We’re not.)

Now you know why so many Canadians cross-border shop. 90% of us live within 160 km (100 miles) of the US border, and 70% of us have passports. Buffalo retailers credit Canadians with keeping their malls and stores in business during your last big economic downturn. Not kidding, they would see the four curved lines on our credit cards (indicating contactless payment YEARS before you guys had it) and they would immediately know we were Canadian and thank us effusively.

I have no idea why I’ve gone on this tangent, but I’ve typed it all out (with one finger!), so I’m hitting reply.

SteveBrickNJ

There are very few department store chains in Canada. Almost all of the ones from my childhood are gone. (Okay, I’m old, but most of the stores from my kids’ childhood are also gone.)

Their first baby photos were taken at Sears … gone. My first job was at Woolco … gone. All of their baby clothes came from Zellers … gone. All of the decorations for my first Christmas tree came from Eaton’s … gone. K-Mart blue light specials … gone.

No more Towers, no more Simpsons, no more Lowe’s. And don’t even get me started on Tar-Jay’s epic 22 month/133 store flameout! (To be fair, Target deserved to tank here; they treated the Canadian consumer as if we second rate Americans. We’re not.)

Now you know why so many Canadians cross-border shop. 90% of us live within 160 km (100 miles) of the US border, and 70% of us have passports. Buffalo retailers credit Canadians with keeping their malls and stores in business during your last big economic downturn. Not kidding, they would see the four curved lines on our credit cards (indicating contactless payment YEARS before you guys had it) and they would immediately know we were Canadian and thank us effusively.

I have no idea why I’ve gone on this tangent, but I’ve typed it all out (with one finger!), so I’m hitting reply.
I really enjoyed your reflecting back as well as the part about the Buffalo malls benefitting greatly from Canadian shoppers.
It was very interesting....even if you typed it out with one finger :cool:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We had thunder and lightning and the power flickered earlier today. I’m in bed, with the window wide open and the drapes open hoping to catch the second round of the light show. Just low ominous thunder rumbling and light rain right now.

When we were kids, my dad used to tell us that rumbling thunder was the angels bowling, and the big sharp cracks were when they got a strike. I forget what lightning was … maybe when God got a strike.

Lilofan

New Yorkers cross border shop also. They cross into NJ ( ie Jersey City, etc ) to shop for clothes. Gotta love NJ no sales tax!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Tomorrow's high temp is 63 degrees. On Tuesday it's 64, but possible severe storms. On Wednesday it's down to 29.
3am and it's July/August loud and midday light. Sleep isn't happening. I went to bed early then James decided he needed to make enough noise while getting his first meal of the day he woke me and his brother up, who then decided he was hungry. I was just back in bed and BOOM:mad: Dh has managed to sleep through all of it:cautious: I have a nap scheduled for later:D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
3am and it's July/August loud and midday light. Sleep isn't happening. I went to bed early then James decided he needed to make enough noise while getting his first meal of the day he woke me and his brother up, who then decided he was hungry. I was just back in bed and BOOM:mad: Dh has managed to sleep through all of it:cautious: I have a nap scheduled for later:D
James made himself a snack at 3 AM?! :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Many of our larger stores from years ago, are also gone. There's probably nothing that you can't get online now, but the shopping experience isn't nearly as fun as before, when you could walk into stores and see items, touch textures, etc. Plus, each large store in particular, had it's own unique merchandise. Again, online shopping has its place, but looking at photos of stuff on a screen isn't the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom