Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
From experience? Lol. Then you have never dealt with sugar ants in the deep South.
There's various kinds of ants (I just read, 15,700 species!), and maybe the ones (sugar ants) in more humid climates might be more problematic, year round. Although there's always ants "around" up here in the North -- I don't really notice them until the hotter, summer months.

I was just wondering if the smell distance might also vary, from one species to another. Or another thought might be that there may be many more (visible) ants in your area (either with/without food to attract them). So, I could understand how that might lead people to think that the ants could have a longer range sense of smell, leading them directly to the kitchen.

Lilofan

There's various kinds of ants (I just read, 15,700 species!), and maybe the ones (sugar ants) in more humid climates might be more problematic, year round. Although there's always ants "around" up here in the North -- I don't really notice them until the hotter, summer months.

I was just wondering if the smell distance might also vary, from one species to another. Or another thought might be that there may be many more (visible) ants in your area (either with/without food to attract them). So, I could understand how that might lead people to think that the ants could have a longer range sense of smell, leading them directly to the kitchen.
We could have less than an inch of whatever food particle on the kitchen floor and the ants come out and converge. We have pest control , continue to clean kitchen daily but in humid climates ants come out for the slightest thing. One thing we never do is leave trash sitting overnight in our trash bin in the kitchen or food left on kitchen counters. One critter that is hopeless to catch is the leaping lizards. Once they get in your house through the open front door etc the next time you see them is when you see the shriveled up body of them in a corner days later.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ants can smell food a mile away so that is why we don't put dirty plates in the dishwasher . In the 30 years we've owned the home built new we must have used the dishwasher 3x just to make sure it still works. It does. Dishes is a task I like doing with the finished product sparkling clean. Paper plates we use from time to time.

Ants can smell 3 - 5 meters not a mile .
Ants smelling food up to a mile, I think you are using a bit of a hyperbole there. Gave me a nice chuckle.

As King Racoon points out (and his friend at the Trust pointed) out ants can smell about 3-5 meters. Not that I doubted you @King Racoon 77 but this science teacher did a quick Google search and I could only find the 3-5 meter fact too.

Sounds like things like peppermint , thyme and lavender help deter ants. That might help with any swarming problems.

Goofyernmost

Another big reason is I didn't want to do dishes. I just wanted to put a plate in the dishwasher.
Mine requires 1 small pot for water, 1 small pot for sauce, small paper plate to nuke the meatballs(takes less than a minute to clean the prep tools), one spaghetti bowl, a fork, serving spoon. When finished, tossed in the dishwasher and run on rinse and hold. It usually takes at least five times longer to eat then prepare and cleanup. Still easier that putting on a coat, walking to the car, driving to the the fast food, driving back, walking back in at home. Some utensils might be needed but even if you don't use any you still have to gather up the left over paper products and throw them away to eventually have to take out the trash. Sorry, I have probably spent most of my 75 years figuring out the easiest way to do everything, and in my mind, making my own spaghetti requires a lot less energy than your way. :);)

PUSH

Original Poster
Mine requires 1 small pot for water, 1 small pot for sauce, small paper plate to nuke the meatballs(takes less than a minute to clean the prep tools), one spaghetti bowl, a fork, serving spoon. When finished, tossed in the dishwasher and run on rinse and hold. It usually takes at least five times longer to eat then prepare and cleanup. Still easier that putting on a coat, walking to the car, driving to the the fast food, driving back, walking back in at home. Some utensils might be needed but even if you don't use any you still have to gather up the left over paper products and throw them away to eventually have to take out the trash. Sorry, I have probably spent most of my 75 years figuring out the easiest way to do everything, and in my mind, making my own spaghetti requires a lot less energy than your way. :);)
I don't put my pots in the dishwasher. I hand wash them.

Time-wise, it's probably pretty similar. I live in a rural town, so everything is within a few minutes of me. Mentally, it's a lot easier to just get in a car and let someone else make your food for you. It might sound strange, but after the mental exhaustion I had from teaching that day, it was too much to cook food. As simple as the food may be.

Goofyernmost

I don't put my pots in the dishwasher. I hand wash them.

Time-wise, it's probably pretty similar. I live in a rural town, so everything is within a few minutes of me. Mentally, it's a lot easier to just get in a car and let someone else make your food for you. It might sound strange, but after the mental exhaustion I had from teaching that day, it was too much to cook food. As simple as the food may be.
I don't put them in a dishwasher either. I wash them in the sink separately. One tiny squirt of liquid let them sit for about 10 minutes and whip them clean with one swipe. Air dry and put them away the next day when I allegedly will have more energy.

SteveBrickNJ

Just to do something different, my wife and I are at a Greek Buffet Night hosted in a historic B & B. Now the meal is done and it is "ABBA theme karaoke". I got my courage up because the winner wins a night's stay in the B&B. I sang : The Winner Takes It All. I'd grade myself at an 85. Could've been better ...but it least it was fun.

PUSH

Original Poster
Just to do something different, my wife and I are at a Greek Buffet Night hosted in a historic B & B. Now the meal is done and it is "ABBA theme karaoke". I got my courage up because the winner wins a night's stay in the B&B. I sang : The Winner Takes It All. I'd grade myself at an 85. Could've been better ...but it least it was fun.
I've only ever gone to karaoke once, and it was a few months ago with coworkers. I didn't do anything solo, but we did Sweet Caroline at our table, and the microphone got put up to my mouth once. One of my coworkers said I nailed the line, and she wasn't being sarcastic. I take that as a win.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Tomorrow's high temp is 63 degrees. On Tuesday it's 64, but possible severe storms. On Wednesday it's down to 29.
Mother Nature is off her meds here too. Yesterday was ridiculously cold. Daisy wore a sweater burrowed in a blanket all day, and then I cranked the heat for her when we went out last night. Today, she sunbathed on the front steps for a bit.

IMG_6099.png

IMG_6100.png

PUSH

Original Poster
Mother Nature is off her meds here too. Yesterday was ridiculously cold. Daisy wore a sweater burrowed in a blanket all day, and then I cranked the heat for her when we went out last night. Today, she sunbathed on the front steps for a bit.

View attachment 770229

View attachment 770230
All of my windows are wide open right now. It's 58 degrees. And it's February. We're supposed to hit 64 degrees in February this week. That's insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom