Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo14

No, I knew how to make crystal make noise, what I said was how does one learn to make music in the degree that we listened to on the video? And what makes one desire to become a professional at it? There doesn't seem to be much call for it. Case in point the one you posted and the one I posted were both playing the same piece of music. My point is what would "Twist and Shout" sound like on those things.:happy:

I like to monkey around with that kind of stuff - I could picture myself doing that if I had absolutely nothing else to do.

acishere

Where to begin? The fact that he's been caught on tape doing drugs, but claims he was too drunk to remember? There are sooooo many stories!
His response to the sexual harassment claims is just downright hilarious and totally inappropriate to share on here.

donaldtoo

American Smarties:
th

Canadian Smarties
th

American Smarties vs. Canadian Smarties, all next week on...JEOPARDY!

donaldtoo

The freezing rain is really coming down now here in SW Ontario.
Thankfully, the kids are done school, hubby has the day off tomorrow, and the fridge and pantry are fully stocked. I am certainly not anxious to go anywhere once the temperature drops and everything freezes solid.

For all those affected by these wide bands - stay safe.
For those whose temps are 50, 60, 70 degrees - I don't want to hear about it.

Does the fact that I'm currently wearin' a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops qualify as "I don't want to hear about it." o_O :D ;)

donaldtoo

Today was half-day Friday, but I didn't leave the office 'til 3-ish. It was just so hard to pull myself away from the 3-D modeling. That stuff is just sooooo *expletive deleted* fun!!!!! :joyfull:

donaldtoo

Do you have a 3D printer?

No, I do not, but those things sound...uhmmm...interesting. :cool:
The 3-D modeling I was referring to is a program called SketchUp. We import CAD files into SketchUp and create a model in a day or two. this way we can fly the client in, around, and through a design even before we ever get to full-blown construction documents. It is so helpful in solving so many potential problems that sometimes won't be caught through regular 2-D architectural elevations. Massing, proportion, lines of site, etc. Back in the day we might have just done one two-point perspective or an isometric view. With SketchUp we can, virtually, tour them through and around their house/buliding in a few seconds once the model is built. And, because a lot of clients tend to have issues with visualization (no problem, not their fault, we all have different mind sets and skills, and that's what they pay us to do anyway ;)) it is infinitely awesome for them, too! :)

Zweiland

The 3-D modeling I was referring to is a program called SketchUp. We import CAD files into SketchUp and create a model in a day or two. this way we can fly the client in, around, and through a design even before we ever get to full-blown construction documents. It is so helpful in solving so many potential problems that sometimes won't be caught through regular 2-D architectural elevations. Massing, proportion, lines of site, etc. Back in the day we might have just done one two-point perspective or an isometric view. With SketchUp we can, virtually, tour them through and around their house/buliding in a few seconds once the model is built. And, because a lot of clients tend to have issues with visualization (no problem, not their fault, we all have different mind sets and skills, and that's what they pay us to do anyway ;)) it is infinitely awesome for them, too! :)
I have Sketchup, but just for fun. I use it sometimes during the rare moments when I have spare time. It's helped me a lot on the Imagineering section of these forums.

Nemo14

That sounds so neat! I fully admit to having visualization issues. I can read blueprints and whatnot and get a general feel for what they represent, but I've never been able to really visualize them in a 3D sort of way.

PUSH

Original Poster
I just Googled SketchUp quickly, and it looks really cool! Kind of reminds me of The Sims, but more professional and not in a gaming format.

donaldtoo

I have Sketchup, but just for fun. I use it sometimes during the rare moments when I have spare time. It's helped me a lot on the Imagineering section of these forums.

Yes, you can get a free version off the internet that's pretty good, too! It's great!
You can download tutorials from the internet and it's really not that hard of a program to learn, at all.
We tend to get pretty detailed, for obvious reasons, and then we take about 9 out of 10 of them into Piranesi for color rendering to really make them little works of art for the client. :)

Zweiland

Yes, you can get a free version off the internet that's pretty good, too! It's great!
You can download tutorials from the internet and it's really not that hard of a program to learn, at all.
We tend to get pretty detailed, for obvious reasons, and then we take about 9 out of 10 of them into Piranesi for color rendering to really make them little works of art. :)
What are the differences between the free and paid versions? Is it worth an upgrade?

donaldtoo

I just Googled SketchUp quickly, and it looks really cool! Kind of reminds me of The Sims, but more professional and not in a gaming format.

Yep, it's very cool stuff! :) There are about 30-ish tutorials online.
The tech for my profession these days is off-the-charts!
Us older dudes at the firm still reminisce about when we first started in the business back in the day. T-squares, triangles, lead, and ink. Sometimes doin' so many changes to a drawing that you eventually erased right through the velum and had to redraw the whole sheet or copy it onto sepia paper, which usually ended up lookin' like doodoo. Now, all we do is copy the drawing over to the side and modify it or do a "save as" to create a new CAD file and just move it along. We can move things, stretch things, etc. with one hot key now. When we first got into CAD our first pen plotter took, roughly, 45 minutes to plot out one floor plan, then we got a new one that did it in less than 2 minutes and we were like kids in a candy shop watchin' that thing go! :joyfull:
Now, of course, we can plot out an entire set of CD's in mere seconds.
Most of the younger folk in the office say they would NEVER have gotten into architecture if it was still that way. Wimps. :p :D ;)
And, I really still do sometimes wonder how we made any money back then...?!?!?! :confused:

Zweiland

@PUSH, I present your Christmas avatar!

This could be taken 3 ways by your fellow WDWMagicians who do not post on this thraed:
  1. You are making fun of Matt Forte by replacing his head with Meg's.
  2. You are making fun of Meg by replacing her body with Matt Forte's.
  3. You like the Bears and Meg, and thus included them in your avatar. :eek:
I hope that they take it the third way. There could be some interesting reactions there. :devilish:

Meg Forte 2.JPG

donaldtoo

What are the differences between the free and paid versions? Is it worth an upgrade?

To be honest, I really don't know for sure. I've watched some of the tutorials, but have never actually downloaded the free version. I've mostly learned on-the-job at the office. The firm pays for those through a licensing agreement and we have both the 7 and 8 versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom