Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wow. She's going for longer than I am. I'm done on Tuesday, and everyone else is done at the end of the week. Is she a freshman too? There is something to be said for being a commuter. Get to go home to Mom's cooking every night, see my cat (oh gosh, the way she's been acting when I get home...can't imagine what she would be like if I had gone away!), get away from the germs...of course I guess the whole "experience" is what some people want. I just don't want to dish out an extra 10 grand a year for housing.

Yep, this is the latest I remember her University going on Winter Break, last final I believe December 20th, they went back late this year. I think her housing is more than 10 grand a year. She is a graduating senior this semester with a double major, done a semester early. When she figured out she could pull it off and save $15,000 on the final semester she did just that. I encouraged both kids to go away to school, I found it to part of the growth process plus better Universities than locally commutable.

MOXOMUMD

As it turns out, all proceeds from said bake sale are going to benefit deer conservation, habitat, & research.
The baked goods were made from an excellent doe. Most of the recipes are from a deer grandma. People are fawning over the buck/cherry muffins.

*free jerky with every purchase

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Yep, this is the latest I remember her University going on Winter Break, last final I believe December 20th, they went back late this year. I think her housing is more than 10 grand a year. She is a graduating senior this semester with a double major, done a semester early. When she figured out she could pull it off and save $15,000 on the final semester she did just that. I encouraged both kids to go away to school, I found it to part of the growth process plus better Universities than locally commutable.
My parents didn't want me living in dorms, partially for health reasons. If I had gone to Central Florida, I would have done dorms, but other than that...I applied to Charleston, SC as well, and if I had gone there, I would have lived with relatives. Those dorms I would not have been able to do; buildings are too old. I'm fortunate in that there are 4+ schools that are commutable from my house. My school offered me such a hefty scholarship that it's only costing 4 grand this semester.

Congrats to your daughter on her pending graduation!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My parents didn't want me living in dorms, partially for health reasons. If I had gone to Central Florida, I would have done dorms, but other than that...I applied to Charleston, SC as well, and if I had gone there, I would have lived with relatives. Those dorms I would not have been able to do; buildings are too old. I'm fortunate in that there are 4+ schools that are commutable from my house. My school offered me such a hefty scholarship that it's only costing 4 grand this semester.

Why Thank You on her behalf.

DD did a lot of research on dorms. She is at U of I here in Illinois. Her dorm is almost 100 years old and maintained like Buckingham Palace. Brick building, pillars handcarved wood, french door parlors. Amazing.
With all of my DD medical issues, the old plaster building was best suited. The dorms 30-50 years old she couldn't do. She almost moved to a brand new dorm for her last semester which were so pretty but opted to finish where she started and she has had a room of her own as even perfume sets off issues for her. Her room is set up as a suite, bigger than she has at home. I have a lot of stuff that I usually put in a storage locker down there to haul home. I took one load when I picked her up for Thanksgiving.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Why Thank You on her behalf.

DD did a lot of research on dorms. She is at U of I here in Illinois. Her dorm is almost 100 years old and maintained like Buckingham Palace. Brick building, pillars handcarved wood, french door parlors. Amazing.
With all of my DD medical issues, the old plaster building was best suited. The dorms 30-50 years old she couldn't do. She almost moved to a brand new dorm for her last semester which were so pretty but opted to finish where she started and she has had a room of her own as even perfume sets off issues for her. Her room is set up as a suite, bigger than she has at home. I have a lot of stuff that I usually put in a storage locker down there to haul home. I took one load when I picked her up for Thanksgiving.
I'm glad she found a dorm that works for her. She sounds a lot like me; I have severe issues with perfume (especially Axe...ugh! That stuff shuts me down) and would have had my own room had I lived in dorms. The dorms at my school are really new, but my room at home is bigger even than the single rooms. And the food at home is better:hungry:. I'm pretty independent even though I live at home. Grocery shop for myself and do my own laundry.

acishere

My school had special accommodations for people who suffered allergies and placed them on floors that got more attention from cleaning, better air systems, and zero tolerance toward people using sprays and such. I lived in a dorm one year that was built specifically for that and the remaining floors that still were for that use were held to a good standard (I was on a lower floor where anyone could live and our conditions were a lot dirtier). You did have to share the rooms, but it was someone who had similar issues that you would. So you still got the experience of living away and having the shared experience that I think is important to have. And this is coming from someone who HATED their 1st roommate.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
My school had special accommodations for people who suffered allergies and placed them on floors that got more attention from cleaning, better air systems, and zero tolerance toward people using sprays and such. I lived in a dorm one year that was built specifically for that and the remaining floors that still were for that use were held to a good standard (I was on a lower floor where anyone could live and our conditions were a lot dirtier). You did have to share the rooms, but it was someone who had similar issues that you would. So you still got the experience of living away and having the shared experience that I think is important to have. And this is coming from someone who HATED their 1st roommate.
Interesting. For me it was also a cost issue for living away. My parents said no more than 6 grand a semester, including room and board. I want to do the Disney CP, so I will eventually get the experience of living away. For now though, I'm happy at home with my cat:cat:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
The selfie craze continues. Even Darth Vader is catching on...
star-wars-selfie__131203120236-575x510.png

donaldtoo

Yep, that is what he is saying too. Thanks. Better too much work than not enough. Now if they would have a nap room for those working 14-15 hours days that would be awesome.

Power naps are GOOD! I've been known to take a few a' those myself at lunch, from time to time. ;) :)

Here's one about work hours that has always given me a good chuckle...

Secretary of Labor: The Department of Labor wishes to note that the workers of Freedonia are demanding shorter hours.
Rufus T. Firefly: Very well, we'll give them shorter hours. We'll start by cutting their lunch hour to 20 minutes.
:D ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom