Where does Cinderella's Castle rank as a landmark in the USA?

majorrfb

Where to place the Castle

It all really boils down to ones interest and personal prefferences. I love American history. Washington D.C. in itself is an American icon with all the fabulous buildings, monuments, memorials and museums. However, you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't recognize the Castle. So, regardless of where you place the Castle on your list, it would be on the list as an American icon. :sohappy:

Wilt Dasney

So, regardless of where you place the Castle on your list, it would be on the list as an American icon. :sohappy:
I think icon is actually a really good word for it. It sounds better to me than landmark, which as I've already said makes me think of structures associated with specific geographical spots. I would say the castle is more associated with an idea. Its location is almost irrelevant.

sweetpee_1993

I think icon is actually a really good word for it. It sounds better to me than landmark, which as I've already said makes me think of structures associated with specific geographical spots. I would say the castle is more associated with an idea. Its location is almost irrelevant.

Well said.

jeffk410

hmmm I think we need family feud to do something like this. Because I think a lot of people on here are not thinking about the average person / where you are in the country. Things like the hoover dam and alamo, yes they are important, but think of people in NE. Most people wouldn't first think about it, but I really would love to see something liek this. It would be interesting to break down the demographics of peoples votes from region to region.

MagicMegan

Living in Western NY and only being maybe an 1 and half away from Niagara Falls I would say since I've been there I would put Cinderella's Castle above the Falls. At least on the American side since I have since it both on the Canadian and American side (Canadian side is MUCH better trust me at least for photo taking).

Again this is only IMO but I still say Cinderella's castle ranks at the top even above the White House but then again I never cared much for the White House anyways.
I was soooooo about to write the same thing! The Falls is pretty lame after seeing it for, oh, 10 minutes.

MKCP 1985

As much as Cinderella's Castle is a photographed American Icon, I just can't believe that in a nationwide survey it would even make the list when you consider such things that stir national pride such as the D.C. memorials and White House and Capital building, the Liberty Bell, Mount Rushmore, etc.

:shrug: Maybe I am wrong, but I would put Cinderella's castle in a list of "Pop Culture Icons," which would be a totally different type of list and would include things like the Hollywood Sign,
images

Time Square neon billboards;
images

Las Vegas Cowboy
images

and things like that . . .

Dads 2 Boys

In thinking about what most people would say, I'd say the following landmarks would rank above the castle without a doubt (in no order):

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Golden Gate Bridge
3. Empire State Building
4. Gateway Arch
5. Grand Canyon
6. Mt. Rushmore

These would would probably be there too:
7. White House
8. Washington Monument
9. Willis Tower (i.e. Sears Tower)
10. Hoover Dam
11. Alamo

We have to keep in mind that the sample size of contributers here may be a bit skewed on a question like this and put the Castle higher than the average person.

I agree with this list with the exception of 9 & 11 albeit my order would differ. Most people won't recognize either the Sears Tower or the Almo IMO but the others on your list are right on. My addition to it though would be the Lincoln Memorial?

I think Cinderella Castle is bordering on the top 10 but certainly not #1.

mickey2008.1

I would say that due to all the commercials and advertising wdw does with the castle, it would be number 1 because it is seen everday even if you are not there. How often do we see these other landmarks on tv? They may not know what state or city its in, but they know what is, fron kids to adults.

BigRedDad

We kind of talked about this at work this morning. People were shocked that this icon is one of the top Terror Threats in the nation. I do not know where it ranks in the list, but I remember it is high.

EaglesfanNJ

For me the answer would have to be in 2 parts...

1) Where does the castle rank for ME? I'd say just out of top 5 for US Landmarks, but absolutely top 10. Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Empire State, (not sure if we can include the World Trade), and especially since i live in Philadelphia i am a little partial, the Liberty Bell would get the nod. If you get a chance, walk through the constitution center and to see that bell, so much deep history. I'd probably give Cindy's the nod at #6 or #7

2) Where does the caslte rank for everyone else (specifically non Disney fanatics like us on these boards)? I'd have to imagine top 10 no? I mean, everyone knows the castle right? Even if you don't like Disney or have never been?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom