Where does Cinderella's Castle rank as a landmark in the USA?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Just got me thinking, even the folks who have never visited WDW can pick Cinderella's Castle out of a crowd. When I was 10 and I first heard my parents tell us we were going to Disney World I immediately thought of the castle. I knew what it looked like, who didn't?

SO lets rank the landmarks but I'm going to keep it strictly to the USA. The list might get a little long if we include the world and I don't want to leave something out. Let me know if you agree with this ranking (I used WDW, not Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL, sorry)

White House
Niagara Falls
Cinderella's Castle
Empire State Building

So would this be accurate enough? Other ones to consider would be sports venues like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. Spaceship Earth is another one, the Sears Tower, etc. But that's irrelevant. Would you agree that Cinderella's Castle would rank at about #3 in America?

HouCuseChickie

Just got me thinking, even the folks who have never visited WDW can pick Cinderella's Castle out of a crowd. When I was 10 and I first heard my parents tell us we were going to Disney World I immediately thought of the castle. I knew what it looked like, who didn't?

SO lets rank the landmarks but I'm going to keep it strictly to the USA. The list might get a little long if we include the world and I don't want to leave something out. Let me know if you agree with this ranking (I used WDW, not Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL, sorry)

White House
Niagara Falls
Cinderella's Castle
Empire State Building

So would this be accurate enough? Other ones to consider would be sports venues like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. Spaceship Earth is another one, the Sears Tower, etc. But that's irrelevant. Would you agree that Cinderella's Castle would rank at about #3 in America?

I think it depends on you. Cinderella's Castle is in my list for sites in the US- but my list would have to include things like the Statue of Liberty, Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Old Faithful, Golden Gate Bridge, etc. before the castle. There's one more big one- but it just won't come to my mind. :brick:

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I think it depends on you. Cinderella's Castle is in my list for sites in the US- but my list would have to include things like the Statue of Liberty, Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Old Faithful, Golden Gate Bridge, etc. before the castle. There's one more big one- but it just won't come to my mind. :brick:

Dumb, dumb. Sorry, I really should put the Statue of Liberty above Cindy's castle. My bad. I thought of Grand Canyon but I don't think it makes the cut about the Castle. Golden Gate Bridge is another one I thought about but if you showed a 10 year old pictures of the castle and the bridge he is going to know the castle more. Most adults are aware of where the Golden Gate bridge is located but I would think ALL would know where the Castle is. Nice call on Mt. Rushmore though.

bamillerpa

As much as I love the castle, the sad truth is that most people would recognise (did I spell that right?) the castle even before the White House.

ThinkTink721

I have heard that Cinderella's Castle is one of the most photographed buildings in the world.

I am not sure how it ranks as a US landmark.

powlessfamily4

White House
Niagara Falls
Cinderella's Castle
Empire State Building

Technically you should have two lists. One for natural wonders the other for man made wonders. How can you compare the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls to something like the empire state building or the white house. Two can be renevated, repaired or destroyed on a moments notice the other two have stood the test of time. I say two lists. :p

Note:
Statue of Liberty
Cinderella's Castle
Wrigley Field (GO CUBS!!!!)
Mt Rushmore
Have any of you seen the courthouse in Waxahatchie Texas??

Yeah... lots of beauty here in the U.S. we are blessed

jeffk410

Eh IMO the grand canyon must be. Seeing as it is one of the big 7. According to US. I would do-

1. Grand Canyon
2. White House
3. Cinderellas Castle
4. Lib

Even tho historically speaking I think 3 and 4 would be flip flopped. Isnt cinderella's castle still the most photographed landmark though?

Oh and my reasoning for no Niagra falls is because the good ones are in Canada!

mike10

White House
Niagara Falls
Cinderella's Castle
Empire State Building

Living in Western NY and only being maybe an 1 and half away from Niagara Falls I would say since I've been there I would put Cinderella's Castle above the Falls. At least on the American side since I have since it both on the Canadian and American side (Canadian side is MUCH better trust me at least for photo taking).

Again this is only IMO but I still say Cinderella's castle ranks at the top even above the White House but then again I never cared much for the White House anyways.

Chape19714

It has been said by Kodak that Cinderella Castle is the most photographed building in the world. I would say it ranks about the national landmarks, however sad that is. But the influence of Disney reaches all corners of the globe. It is a part of Modern Americana.

Wilt Dasney

One problem to me is the castle might be recognizable as "Disney" but that doesn't mean people know where it is.

I'm guessing more people would know Mt. Rushmore is in SD or the Empire State Building is in NYC than would be able to tell you that Cinderella Castle is at the Magic Kingdom in central Florida. I'm guessing a lot of people would say it's at "Disneyland", "Disney", or "Disneyworld." If you pinned them down for a location, most of them would probably guess Florida, but I'm guessing you'd get a lot of California guesses too.

I think CC is recognizable more as a marketing icon than as a symbol of a real geographical place.

rct247

It was said twice already above me, but yes, Cinderella Castle is the #1 photographed thing/building/place in the entire world. #2 is the Mickey floral at Magic Kingdom at WDW. Even though Disneyland's has been there longer, WDW gets more visitors and from more parts of the globe.

Added trivia bonus. Cosmic Ray's is the busiest restaurant in the Magic Kingdom/in Walt Disney World/in Orlando/in Florida/in the United States and 2nd busiest in the entire world!

Tazer19

In thinking about what most people would say, I'd say the following landmarks would rank above the castle without a doubt (in no order):

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Golden Gate Bridge
3. Empire State Building
4. Gateway Arch
5. Grand Canyon
6. Mt. Rushmore

These would would probably be there too:
7. White House
8. Washington Monument
9. Willis Tower (i.e. Sears Tower)
10. Hoover Dam
11. Alamo

We have to keep in mind that the sample size of contributers here may be a bit skewed on a question like this and put the Castle higher than the average person.

rkelly42

There are so many to choose from, but like it was said before chances are most young people would pick out Cinderella's castle before a lot of other great landmarks. You could go from Fenway Park to Statue of Liberty out to Mt. Rushmore and onto Old Faithful. There are hundreds to choose from and all so important in their own way.

ryno1982

For being such a landmark, it's too bad that the Walt Disney Company doesn't even know what the castle looks like. The morph castle in the commercials is hideous. :brick:

HouCuseChickie

Thank you! Those were the things I was forgetting- Hoover Dam and the arch in St Louis! I kind of agree about the White House part. It had an impact, but Every time I'm in DC...the Washington Monument and the Capitol building have much more WOW factor (even though everyone in TX is quick point out that the TX Capitol bld is bigger). The Brooklyn Bridge is also on a lot of lists. Also in a agreement that natural wonders might be categorized separately.

Wilt Dasney

In thinking about what most people would say, I'd say the following landmarks would rank above the castle without a doubt (in no order):

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Golden Gate Bridge
3. Empire State Building
4. Gateway Arch
5. Grand Canyon
6. Mt. Rushmore

These would would probably be there too:
7. White House
8. Washington Monument
9. Willis Tower (i.e. Sears Tower)
10. Hoover Dam
11. Alamo

We have to keep in mind that the sample size of contributers here may be a bit skewed on a question like this and put the Castle higher than the average person.

I'd throw in the Lincoln Memorial as well.

sweetpee_1993

Also in DC, I'd put the Vietnam War memorial well above the castle. Being there & seeing it in person for those who truly understand the significance makes a very lasting impression.

I love WDW dearly & the castle is quite an icon to take in.... but for me historical sites, memorials, etc. will always be trump.
:animwink:

fireworkz

I'm not an American so I'm not really qualified to make a list I guess, but consider this angle: If all of the people in the USA, Toddlers to Seniors were asked the OP's question, now how would the castle rank? My daughter for example knows some local landmarks, but outside this city the only thing she knows is the Castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom