Where can I go for positive news?

Californian Elitist

I call myself a Pixie Duster and am OK with it. I know many here mean it as a criticism or insult, but, to me, it’s just a way of framing a particular attitude to Disney that not everyone shares.
And that’s okay. :) I don’t use the expression on a regular basis, but I have used it a few times. I think it perfectly describes certain fans, and I don’t even mean it to be insulting.

Outside of not going at all, there is nothing we can do about anything the company is doing. I still enjoy Disney World. I don't agree with every change but I will keep going and try to enjoy myself until I am unable to do so. Negativity is like a snowball going down a mountain and it's very easy for people to join in and create

drizgirl

Outside of not going at all, there is nothing we can do about anything the company is doing. I still enjoy Disney World. I don't agree with every change but I will keep going and try to enjoy myself until I am unable to do so. Negativity is like a snowball going down a mountain and it's very easy for people to join in and create
There are more options than go or stay home. I’m not big on cutting my nose off to spite my face so I don’t choose entertainment to make a stand. So I still go to Disney because I’m very nostalgic and find some joy in still going. But I have changed the way I visit. I have gone back to universal for the first time in almost 20 years. They are now getting at least half of my Orlando budget. I still pop over to Disney for a day or two, so the 7-10 day trips are over. I used to have 1 or 2 ADRs a day now maybe just one total.

Prices are indeed up but my Disney spending is way down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are more options than go or stay home. I’m not big on cutting my nose off to spite my face so I don’t choose entertainment to make a stand. So I still go to Disney because I’m very nostalgic and find some joy in still going. But I have changed the way I visit. I have gone back to universal for the first time in almost 20 years. They are now getting at least half of my Orlando budget. I still pop over to Disney for a day or two, so the 7-10 day trips are over. I used to have 1 or 2 ADRs a day now maybe just one total.

Prices are indeed up but my Disney spending is way down.
Indeed. I’ve been preaching this (to little avail) for years…

We can’t control the whole market…but we can limit what we choose to buy.

But it’s a struggle when people can’t find the ground with their feet during vacation planning

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

Discussions like that taking place now about after-hours events bear out the OP’s point. It’s one thing to say that you personally don’t find value in a particular product, but quite another to declare that product a scam that only the ill-informed would buy into. Many times on these boards, there is a totally gratuitous rush to negativity and knee-jerk condemnation of others’ preferences.

Californian Elitist

Discussions like that taking place now about after-hours events bear out the OP’s point. It’s one thing to say that you personally don’t find value in a particular product, but quite another to declare that product a scam that only the ill-informed would buy into. Many times on these boards, there is a totally gratuitous rush to negativity and knee-jerk condemnation of others’ preferences.
I believe the phrase was “casual traveler,” not “ill-informed.”

The OP and others should understand that not everyone will agree that what Disney is offering is okay. And the same vice verse. Everyone should be allowed to express how they’re feeling about the parks, whether negative or positive.

The scam comments weren’t towards anyone in particular. It was a general comment, and one that I happen to agree with. If people here enjoy the parties and are willing to spend their money on them, by all means. Spend your money the way you like. If others think it’s a waste of money and a scam, they should be able to say that comfortably.

eliza61nyc

The OP and others should understand that not everyone will agree that what Disney is offering is okay. And the same vice verse. Everyone should be allowed to express how they’re feeling about the parks, whether negative or positive.

The scam comments weren’t towards anyone in particular. It was a general comment, and one that I happen to agree with. If people here enjoy the parties and are willing to spend their money on them, by all means. Spend your money the way you like. If others think it’s a waste of money and a scam, they should be able to say that comfortably.
i think the problem becomes when poster infer (and yes they know exactly what they mean to say) that purchasing the product some how makes you stupid or ill informed. It's the same slickness they do when they tell those of us who stay on site that we are "wasting" our money or my favorite, the times when they say "people" who stay at deluxe are stupid or rich.
And if it's how they feel why is the sentence never framed as "in my opinion"??? Yes you should be allowed to voice your opinion, I just dont understand why it can't be done without name calling, either directly or sneakingly.

But that's why I told the op to filter out a lot of the negative news. Just my opinion lol

dreday3

i think the problem becomes when poster infer (and yes they know exactly what they mean to say) that purchasing the product some how makes you stupid or ill informed. It's the same slickness they do when they tell those of us who stay on site that we are "wasting" our money or my favorite the times when they say "people" who stay at deluxe are stupid or rich.
And if it's how they feel why is the sentence never framed as "in my opinion"??? Yes you should be allowed to voice your opinion, I just dont understand why it can't be done without name calling, either directly or sneakingly.

But that's why I told the op to filter out a lot of the negative news.

I believe it's because they assume other posters are too dumb to figure out they are being insulted. ;)

LittleBuford

The poster I'm referring to wrote, "But AFTER hours is 100% a 'pyramid scheme'.. But only apparent to older travelers/student of history." I think that "ill-informed" is a fair characterisation of the kind of person he's describing.

Absolutely. But one doesn't need to preach (not my word) to others about how unwise their own personal Disney purchases and preferences are.

It was a general comment, and one that I happen to agree with. If people here enjoy the parties and are willing to spend their money on them, by all means. Spend your money the way you like. If others think it’s a waste of money and a scam, they should be able to say that comfortably.
I'm not disputing anyone's right to speak freely. I just don't understand what is achieved by portraying one's fellow posters as ill-informed individuals who are falling for a scam. It's negativity for negativity's sake.

Disstevefan1

I am not so against the afterhours events at WDW. I would never use up a day ticket on a day I have afterhours event ticket.

It's obviously not as hot at an afterhours event, and there are special things that go on you do not get during the day, and potentially could be lower crowds than during the day these days.

Br0ckford

Well we are going to MVMCP in December on my wife's birthday and we are gonna enjoy the heck out of it.
Angry Arms Crossed GIF by Big Brother

Californian Elitist

i think the problem becomes when poster infer (and yes they know exactly what they mean to say) that purchasing the product some how makes you stupid or ill informed. It's the same slickness they do when they tell those of us who stay on site that we are "wasting" our money or my favorite, the times when they say "people" who stay at deluxe are stupid or rich.

But that's why I told the op to filter out a lot of the negative news. Just my opinion lol
But why take offense to that? If you disagree, no problem. If I say “such and such is a waste of money,” it’s indirect and an opinion. How else should I express my opinion in a way that would be preferable? I’m genuinely asking. Why do people have to say “in my opinion?” Isn’t it already clear that it’s an opinion?

I would argue that people constantly taking it personal aren’t helping. If you don’t feel the same way, who cares what others think about how you choose to spend your money?
The poster I'm referring to wrote, "But AFTER hours is 100% a 'pyramid scheme'.. But only apparent to older travelers/student of history." I think that "ill-informed" is a fair characterisation of the kind of person he's describing.

Absolutely. But one doesn't need to preach (not my word) to others about how unwise their own personal Disney purchases and preferences are.

I'm not disputing anyone's right to speak freely. I just don't understand what is achieved by portraying one's fellow posters as ill-informed individuals who are falling for a scam. It's negativity for negativity's sake.
I’ve seen preaching from both sides, as well as backhanded comments.

If I think something is a scam, but posting something like that would be negativity for negativity’s sake, what should I say instead? I’m honestly trying to understand where you’re coming from.

LittleBuford

If I think something is a scam, but posting something like that would be negativity for negativity’s sake, what should I say instead? I’m honestly trying to understand where you’re coming from.
In a thread entitled “Do you think Disney after-hour events are worth it?”, such posts would be relevant (though I still think they can and should be framed less judgementally). In a thread like this one, however, the only thing that such posts achieve is to inject negativity for no good reason. It’s like when someone starts a thread about vegetarian dining options and a handful of meat-eaters come along to declare how gross meat substitutes are (this has happened a few times on this site). It’s irrelevant to the topic and just poisons the discussion. I can’t explain my feelings better than that.

LittleBuford

And just to add, @Californian Elitist, the problem with a word like "scam" is that it's a highly subjective value judgement when applied to things that aren't literally scam. A true scam is a scheme that swindles you out of money but doesn't give you what you paid for. That isn't my relationship to after-hours events at all, however: I am getting exactly what I pay for and am left very, very happy with my purchase. I have no issue with someone saying that they personally don't see the value in a particular product (this is how I feel about the Disney hotels, which I never stay in), but using derogatory and loaded terms to criticise others for their choices seems uncalled for to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom