When will the Disneyland Resort reopen? (2021 Version)

What month (or day) will the Disneyland Resort reopen

• April-May 2021

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • June 2021

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • July 2021

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • July 17, 2021 (Bonus points if you pick this one)

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • August-September 2021

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • October-December 2021

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Vegas Disney Fan

Just out of curiosity, what is the average wage of the 1,500 employees who are returning? I don't need specific dollar amounts, just ranges.

Were they at or slightly above the state minimum wage, as in California where most Disneyland ride operators make $15 to $17 an hour on a state minimum wage of $14? Or were they $5 or more above the state minimum wage? $10 above the minimum wage?
Fair enough, the low end is probably $15 an hour but the majority will be $50k plus in a relatively cheap area to live.

The money is only half the reason most of us are returning though, no one has been hiring in the last year so we’ve had no choice but to collect unemployment and patiently wait to be recalled.

Darkbeer1

According to the BLS California has the second highest unemployment rate in the nation at 9.3%, that’s a lot of people still looking for work.

But that includes those collecting the larger unemployment checks.

Plenty of jobs, especially in health care staff, warehouse and delivery, and many other entry level jobs, are available.

TP2000

Fair enough, the low end is probably $15 an hour but the majority will be $50k plus in a relatively cheap area to live.

The money is only half the reason most of us are returning though, no one has been hiring in the last year so we’ve had no choice but to collect unemployment and patiently wait to be recalled.

I was just honestly curious what industry you were talking about and what the pay scale was to have such a robust employee return level after more than a year of closure.

I think it's important to remember what industry we're talking about, amusement parks. I'm sure most of the Dockers-clad managers making 60K to 80K will return, and their middle manager bosses making 110K will return.

And all the TDA cubicle drones have remained "working" on Cabernet-fueled Zoom calls at least 25 hours per week since last April anyway. So if you can convince them to put the Cabernet down and return to actual work, you can count on TDA's cubicle army!

But it's the 25,000 front-line CM's that worry me. The entry-level CM's working in unskilled positions that are routinely filled by 17 or 18 year olds walking in off Ball Road with little to no job experience and no formal education beyond a high school diploma. That's who is hired to fill the majority of positions at Disneyland Resort who wear polyester uniforms and flip our burgers and scan our passes and sell us spirit jerseys and tell us to pull on the yellow tab endlessly.

They work for a buck or three over California minimum wage. And last January there was over 25,000 of them on staff in Anaheim. Will they still be there in May when the call comes for a reopening in July? I don't think a lot of them will still be around, but maybe I'm wrong?

Darkbeer1

I was just honestly curious what industry you were talking about and what the pay scale was to have such a robust employee return level after more than a year of closure.

I think it's important to remember what industry we're talking about, amusement parks. I'm sure most of the Dockers-clad managers making 60K to 80K will return, and their middle manager bosses making 110K will return.

And all the TDA cubicle drones have remained "working" on Cabernet-fueled Zoom calls at least 25 hours per week since last April anyway. So if you can convince them to put the Cabernet down and return to actual work, you can count on TDA's cubicle army!

But it's the 25,000 front-line CM's that worry me. The entry-level CM's working in unskilled positions that are routinely filled by 17 or 18 year olds walking in off Ball Road with little to no job experience and no formal education beyond a high school diploma. That's who is hired to fill the majority of positions at Disneyland Resort who wear polyester uniforms and flip our burgers and scan our passes and sell us spirit jerseys and tell us to pull on the yellow tab endlessly.

They work for a buck or three over California minimum wage. And last January there was over 25,000 of them on staff in Anaheim. Will they still be there in May when the call comes for a reopening in July? I don't think a lot of them will still be around, but maybe I'm wrong?

One issue are the "perks".

With Sacramento controlling the capacity of the parks, how will CM attendance be affected?

Will they be able (at the beginning) be allowed to enter on their off-time. How about family and Friends attendance?

A main reason that potential CM's choose to interview at the DLR are the perks, now including free education, plus it looks good on a resume. And the "cool" factor.

But other places are offering the same type of wage, maybe closer to home, etc.

How many will choose to apply at Disney?

cmwade77

One issue are the "perks".

With Sacramento controlling the capacity of the parks, how will CM attendance be affected?

Will they be able (at the beginning) be allowed to enter on their off-time. How about family and Friends attendance?

A main reason that potential CM's choose to interview at the DLR are the perks, now including free education, plus it looks good on a resume. And the "cool" factor.

But other places are offering the same type of wage, maybe closer to home, etc.

How many will choose to apply at Disney?
Well, they have been blacked out for months at a time before, so it could be no different here. Additionally, they may offer limited entry or something. For example WDW is only allowing CMs to make 3 reservations at a time up to something like 5 days in advance. And they will also have comp tickets that could be used.

DavidNoble

Animal Kingdom is a boring half-day Busch Gardens with a neon dinosaur ride and Avatar. It's massively overrated. Is it all purple haired Millennials pushing this ridiculous AK lovefest. "It's just so incredible. It needs to be experienced. It's clearly the greatest Disney park. Just a mahvel of Imaginearing."

I don't have purple hair. Love AK. My wife isn't a millennial. She loved our trip to AK last year.

I'm changing my vote to sometime in April ;)

Nope, not allowed! :p

Disstevefan1

My latest total guess is that DLR will reopen around July 4th with all the precautions; limited capacity, park reservations, distancing, masks, hand cleaner etc. You know, all the stuff WDW is doing and was done to reopen safely way back in June 2020..

Stevek

Animal Kingdom is a boring half-day Busch Gardens with a neon dinosaur ride and Avatar. It's massively overrated. Is it all purple haired Millennials pushing this ridiculous AK lovefest. "It's just so incredible. It needs to be experienced. It's clearly the greatest Disney park. Just a mahvel of Imaginearing."
Blasphemy! This 54 year old loves the park. Easily the most beautiful Disney park I’ve ever been in. Sparse on attractions and the Dino Rama area kinda sucks but we’ve enjoyed our limited trips there.
PS, you might not see this given you have an extensive ignore list.:p

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom