When will Disney buy out Universals Marvel?

Eamethyst

Didn't I read that Disney has a Guardians of the Galaxy ride planned for EPCOT? If they can add that, why wouldn't they be able to add one or two rides based on other Marvel properties to other parks? A Black Panther stunt show in AK? An Iron Man simulator in HS? Dr. Strange's Wild Ride in Fantasyland?
Guardians of the Galaxy will open at Epcot in 2021. There is a Marvels Avenger stunt show opening at Disneyland's California adventure. As of yet for this year for next year Animal Kingdom isn't getting a new show, land or ride but that can always change. I believe Animal Kingdom is getting a grotto. Disney world is putting allot of money into Epcot because Epcot needs to be renovated. Somethings are going on at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. There will be a Star Wars resort coming. Of course Disney Springs. Disney Springs has bloomed and it's making money now compared to years ago. Disney will have actors as the black panther eventually. I believe Disney had done meet and greets with the black panther.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Guardians of the Galaxy will open at Epcot in 2021. There is a Marvels Avenger stunt show opening at Disneyland's California adventure. As of yet for this year for next year Animal Kingdom isn't getting a new show, land or ride but that can always change. I believe Animal Kingdom is getting a grotto. Disney world is putting allot of money into Epcot because Epcot needs to be renovated. Somethings are going on at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. There will be a Star Wars resort coming. Of course Disney Springs. Disney Springs has bloomed and it's making money now compared to years ago. Disney will have actors as the black panther eventually. I believe Disney had done meet and greets with the black panther.

There has been a Black Panther M&G at Disneyland, but due to the Universal contract it's unlikely we will see on at WDW.

phillip9698

Everyone has all made Very good points.
I guess my main thing is, if I were Disney would be to pull the rights so that guests don’t get confused into thinking that Universal is part of the Disney company.

But I guess I have to also realize that these days money speaks more then anything. Perhaps back in Walt’s time it would have been different, although he was a businessman too, he cared about maintaining the Disney image. Which I don’t see the current management caring as much about.

What does that even mean? Universal has the legal right to those characters and Disney cant on a whim just send them a notice that says stop. Also Disney cant buy something from Universal if they arent selling it.

Phil12

Why would Disney want to buy Universal? Universal is a second rate park (as are all the others such as Knott's Berry Farm). All the other parks just serve as examples of second rate competition that sets Disney far and away as the singular example of theme park excellence. If Disney bought Universal, they'd have to spend millions to demolish the existing low quality stuff. One good aspect if Disney bought Universal would be that they could move CBJ and Tiki Room to Universal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would Disney want to buy Universal? Universal is a second rate park (as are all the others such as Knott's Berry Farm). All the other parks just serve as examples of second rate competition that sets Disney far and away as the singular example of theme park excellence. If Disney bought Universal, they'd have to spend millions to demolish the existing low quality stuff. One good aspect if Disney bought Universal would be that they could move CBJ and Tiki Room to Universal.

Who suggested that Disney buy Universal?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since this thread is predictably off the tracks already I’ll add to it. Neither Disney or Comcast has any desire to merge their theme parks. Makes no sense for either side. However, I do think Sea World would have been a good fit for Comcast/Universal. It would have added an instant 3rd gate for Orlando plus another water park and after their next planned expansion is complete would have put them on par with WDW with 4 gates total. Sea World was also probably a bargain to scoop up with its drop in value after documentary. It would have also been nice to see if someone with deeper pockets could have rebuilt and expanded the Sesame Place and Sea World park brands. They are finally building a second Sesame Place in San Diego.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also Universal can't sell something they don't own.
Universal does own the theme park rights under the Marvel contract. They absolutely could sell the rights back to Disney if they wanted to. I don’t think the contract would let them sell the rights to another party other than Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal ended the Marvel deal at their California theme park, which is west of the Mississippi River, Disney can use them at their Disneyland Park.

More accurately, Universal did not exercise their right to use Marvel characters in California in the window of time allotted, and so, they lost the right use license Marvel there.

Thus, with regard to the characters, California can use any and all Marvel characters they want, but can't call it "Marvel." The contract gives Universal exclusive rights to the Marvel brand in theme parks for the whole of the U.S.

lazyboy97o

More accurately, Universal did not exercise their right to use Marvel characters in California in the window of time allotted, and so, they lost the right use license Marvel there.

Thus, with regard to the characters, California can use any and all Marvel characters they want, but can't call it "Marvel." The contract gives Universal exclusive rights to the Marvel brand in theme parks for the whole of the U.S.
Universal Studios Hollywood had a separate deal made after losing the expansion rights outlined in the Florida contract.

NormC

Universal does own the theme park rights under the Marvel contract. They absolutely could sell the rights back to Disney if they wanted to. I don’t think the contract would let them sell the rights to another party other than Disney.
No, Universal Licenses the rights from Disney Marvel. They do not own them. There is a difference.

phillip9698

Also Universal can't sell something they don't own.

Is this where we get bogged down in nomenclature? If Universal has an exclusive license to use something in perpetuity, then for all intents and purposes as far as Disney is concerned Universal owns it. Universal cant sell it to another party but its theirs as long as they want it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom