When will Disney buy out Universals Marvel?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So again, what terms describes Universal receiving payment to terminate their licensing agreement?

For everyone involved...

I think the nomenclature issue is a difference between "buy" and "buy out".

If you're paying for something that someone owns owns, then you buy it. If you're paying for something that someone has been licensing/renting, then you "buy out" their lease/contract/license.

Of course people do use either term freely for both or the other. So, everyone is right and everyone is wrong.

Language.

Phil12

For everyone involved...

I think the nomenclature issue is a difference between "buy" and "buy out".

If you're paying for something that someone owns owns, then you buy it. If you're paying for something that someone has been licensing/renting, then you "buy out" their lease/contract/license.

Of course people do use either term freely for both or the other. So, everyone is right and everyone is wrong.

Language.
Speaking of nomenclature, what is the difference between "owns owns" and "owns"? Is it like "buy buy" and "buy out buy out"? All these high roller technical terms make it difficult for the layman to understand these deals.
1582658817958.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, Universal Licenses the rights from Disney Marvel. They do not own them. There is a difference.
If Disney wants those rights back they will need to pay Comcast a boat load of cash. That’s all that really matters in the context of this thread. Whether you prefer to call it a sale, a buyout or just a straight up windfall for them Disney would be writing a huge check and that ain’t happening.

Cmdr_Crimson

What I don't get is that I thought they weren't allowed to use the world MARVEL anywhere on WDW property as well even as a store. Yet for some reason they decided to do a name change to the one shop mysteriously with no answer..

Before...
Super-Hero-Headquarters_Full_23984.jpg

After...
maxresdefault.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What I don't get is that I thought they weren't allowed to use the world MARVEL anywhere on WDW property as well even as a store. Yet for some reason they decided to do a name change to the one shop mysteriously with no answer..

Before...
Super-Hero-Headquarters_Full_23984.jpg

After...
maxresdefault.jpg

They realized the contract applied only to theme park attractions in theme parks. And indeed, the language of the contract makes that clear since it had also carved out Marvel creating a type of Marvel arcade as long as it wasn't a theme park thing.

If the ban of using "Marvel" applied to the use of "Marvel" outside of theme park attractions, they'd never be able to advertise a "Marvel" movie in the U.S.

Cmdr_Crimson

They realized the contract applied only to theme park attractions in theme parks. And indeed, the language of the contract makes that clear since it had also carved out Marvel creating a type of Marvel arcade as long as it wasn't a theme park thing.

If the ban of using "Marvel" applied to the use of "Marvel" outside of theme park attractions, they'd never be able to advertise a "Marvel" movie in the U.S.
I guess that's true as they have been placing these MARVEL Adventure labs at the Hotel arcades on property..Like this one at Pop Century..
IMG_8809-e1565181264989-525x700.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom