When will Disney buy out Universals Marvel?

lazyboy97o

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Didn't I read that Disney has a Guardians of the Galaxy ride planned for EPCOT? If they can add that, why wouldn't they be able to add one or two rides based on other Marvel properties to other parks? A Black Panther stunt show in AK? An Iron Man simulator in HS? Dr. Strange's Wild Ride in Fantasyland?

Universal has the rights to all the characters that currently used as a part of the land in IOA and all the characters in the same "family", so they basically have the rights to all the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man and Avengers characters. Guardians is allowed because it doesn't fall into one of these families. The GotG team seen in the movies wasn't even in the comics until after the licensing agreement was made. Iron Man would definitely be out since he is part of the Avengers and Black Panther is likely our for the same reason. Hollywood studios has done a Dr Strange meet and greet, so this characters is probably ok for Disney to use.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would either side want a return of the rights to happen?

Universal has always been perfectly happy with renting other people‘s IP for their parks. They have no reason to not want to continue to have Marvel in that park. The only way it makes sense for them to sell the rights back and re-theme the land would be if the cash received was enormous. Enough to pay for another popular IP and also pay for re-theming the land....

... and since the licensing cost is only allowed to go up by the rate of inflation, Universal is probably paying a bargain price for what is currently one of the hottest IP's going. If they were to license something else, I would not be surprised if they would have to pay more then the Marvel license for something that is no where near as popular.

drizgirl

Universal doesn't own anything to sell. Universal pays Disney a licensing fee to use what they have under an exclusivity contractual agreement.
The rights. I'm talking about ending the rights. Just clumsy wording.

My point stands. Why would Universal ever want to facilitate Disney being able to add more Marvel to their parks? They have something Disney would no doubt love to have. They're not giving it up.

Htown

Why would Disney pay to stop making money?
Currently they are making $$$$$ from Universal so why do we think they will stop this cash flow to add a ride, attraction or IP meet and great at WDW. If you want to see Marvel then you will need to visit Universal or one of the other Disney parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The contract stipulates they can add, say Ironman, to the land. If they wanted to dump the lands theme then yes, it’d be a time to sell.

But why would they? Spider-Man was a worlds best when Marvel was a has been. Disney have pushed the IP into a public frenzy and Comcast reap the benefit in Orlando.

IOA will see more additions and other re themes before Marvel is looked at.
Agreed. In my opinion Spider-Man is probably the most well known Marvel property and his popularity far exceeds the current buzz from the recent Disney/Marvel Avengers movies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
... and since the licensing cost is only allowed to go up by the rate of inflation, Universal is probably paying a bargain price for what is currently one of the hottest IP's going. If they were to license something else, I would not be surprised if they would have to pay more then the Marvel license for something that is no where near as popular.
Agreed. The math would likely never work without Disney pitching in a boat load of extra cash which Isn’t going to happen. It’s a mildly entertaining academic debate with no real basis in reality.

lazyboy97o

Why would Disney pay to stop making money?
Currently they are making $$$$$ from Universal so why do we think they will stop this cash flow to add a ride, attraction or IP meet and great at WDW. If you want to see Marvel then you will need to visit Universal or one of the other Disney parks.
$, not $$$$$, is more likely. Currently it is in all likelihood a lousy deal for Marvel.

Walt_Disney

Original Poster
Everyone has all made Very good points.
I guess my main thing is, if I were Disney would be to pull the rights so that guests don’t get confused into thinking that Universal is part of the Disney company.

But I guess I have to also realize that these days money speaks more then anything. Perhaps back in Walt’s time it would have been different, although he was a businessman too, he cared about maintaining the Disney image. Which I don’t see the current management caring as much about.

Jon81uk

I guess my main thing is, if I were Disney would be to pull the rights so that guests don’t get confused into thinking that Universal is part of the Disney company.
Disney cannot pull the rights. Unless Universal seriously mess up and run the area into the ground, there is no method in the contract for Disney to remove the rights from them.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Everyone has all made Very good points.
Realistically speaking I doubt that over 10% know or give a damn about who owns Marvel in relation to theme parks. Only obsessed folks like ourselves even have a thought about it. And also factor in the number of people that still think that Disney and Universal are one in the same and have for years. Even if Spiderman is a popular attraction, theme parks need to fill the desires of other IP's to survive. It's not as big a ticket seller as some people think. Those things are what people go to at theme parks once they are there. (their favorites) Very few go there only because they have some Marvel things in the parks and don't care about the rest. “The whole is greater than the sums of its parts.”

Yes, there are a number of die hard Marvel fans that feel like everything should be "Marveled" but it is much easier to create the fantasy in comic books (sorry, graphic novels) then physically make them believable in full dimensions.

britain

If you want to look at it coldly, Disney wants two things:

1) Protect the Marvel brand
2) Get money from the Marvel brand

Right now, as long as Uni doesn't screw up how the Marvel characters are represented at IOA, then objective 1 is fine. Yes, they aren't in their MCU costumes, but they aren't off-brand from the comics, so all good on that front. And for number 2, Disney's getting a licensing fee AND a cut of sales from IOA Marvel merch.

There isn't any financial downside to this other than: a hiccup in Disney's Marketing machine that would appreciate a place to promote upcoming Marvel films/TV alongside the attractions; and less shared costs in cloning attractions across the coasts.

And that last one could be seen as a positive.

The only downsides here are ...sentimental? Trying to find the right word.

Eamethyst

Since Disney has spent Billions buying Marvel but it doesn’t have the rights the theme park rights East of the Mississippi how long until they do something about this?

I would assume that Disney would want full control over the Marvel properties. And rather then confuse guests by having Marvel at the competitions park do something about it. I would imagine that Universal would sell the park rights to Disney for the right price.

if I were Bob Igor or someone in the Disney corporate world I would be doing everything possible to get those park rights so that guests aren’t confused and think Disney owns Universal or Universal is another Disney park. Which I’m aware that there’s a large population out that already think this. So perhaps buying the park rights would help this somewhat.
Universal ended the Marvel deal at their California theme park, which is west of the Mississippi River, Disney can use them at their Disneyland Park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom