When it rains....

ScottEG

We have an upcoming trip in June to the parks. Knowing the central florida weather in June, I pose the following question.....

What is the best park to be at when the typical afternoon rainshower arrives? and why?

:veryconfu :cool: :lol: :sohappy:

wcox377492

Anyone where you're sitting in a nice restaurant while the showers cut loose. :)

Seriously, while the summer rains are heavy, they don't last long-- frequently less than an hour.

Upvote 0

Yukinon

Every time we go it has to be in the summer, so we know all about those daily rainstorms.

Really any park is fine, just wait it out! A lot of people do freak out when it gets kinda bad and evacuate the park, but that makes it better when it does stop that a lot more people are gone :p

Favorite rain-time places - in MK its nice to hang out in the Tomorrowland terrace (even tho its noodles there now, we used to get garlic bread and hang out); in Epcot it seems we always get stuck up in Japan, but its good b/c the shop there is great! Also, there is a lot of outdoor covered area for my grandma (she hates the A/C); in MGM we seem to hang out in the ABC Comisary or something or duck into the Muppets; in AK, hmmm, we've never been in AK in the rain now that I think of it...

Just make sure to pack a poncho at all times - even after the daily storm and you think the evening will be okay -- sometimes it will rain again that night and its no fun to try running around in wet clothes. Yes the ponchos get smelly and feel gross on your body, they still feel better than soaking wet jean shorts!

Upvote 0

jesserin

Just not Animal Kingdom...

All the rest of the parks have lots of indoor areas/rides/restaurants to keep you dry... but AK is mostly outdoors - and quite boring in the rain...

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you are going in the summer I would highly recommend a $6 investment in a mini umbrella. They are about the size of your average flash light and can be worth their weight in gold.

Upvote 0

Kadee

I love being in MK when it rains. We got caught in Frontierland somewhere and ended up on a porch in rocking chairs. It was one of the best times I've had at WDW.

ALSO.....go to Dollar Tree and get rain ponchos before you go. They are in packs of 2 for $1. Can't beat the deal! They are also a bit thinner that the WDW ponchos and take up less room in your bag.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Kadee said:
I love being in MK when it rains. We got caught in Frontierland somewhere and ended up on a porch in rocking chairs. It was one of the best times I've had at WDW.

ALSO.....go to Dollar Tree and get rain ponchos before you go. They are in packs of 2 for $1. Can't beat the deal! They are also a bit thinner that the WDW ponchos and take up less room in your bag.

Don't you just love those moments?

We were actually a little bummed out that last year we had such perfect weather and didn't get to use our ponchos...

We'll be leaving POR just as you're coming in...

Upvote 0

3dwarfs

About 10 years ago I went to Disney during April vacation with my high school band. We got caught in a rain storm that lasted about an hour and I loved it. My friends and I bought ponchos and went on all of the good rides at the Magic Kingdom multiple times with no wait. It was great.

Upvote 0

imamouse

Epcot is great in the rain due to all of the indoor attractions. It takes about 45 minutest to do UoE, and we could spends hours in TLS, especially now that TTWC is there.

Our family also likes to go to HISTA and then wander around the Imagination pavilion when it rains. We can spend about an hour doing both, and by then the rain has stopped (usually).

Upvote 0

pinjim

For go the rain gear (makes life easier moving around parks) and skip through the rain and jump on the rides as the lines thin out. With the temps in June, you'll be dry sooner than later and the waits will be so much more enjoyable. Should you get too wet, which you shouldn't mind, then head back to the hotel and dry off before returning that night when the rains are gone.
Have fun, maybe make a game of it with the rain and see how many rides you get get completed while most everyone else is sitting watching the drops hit you as you're having fun.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

With a little experience and a good map reader you can get from one side of the MK to the other barely wet. My cousin is an expert at getting us from Frontierland to Tomorrowland (we had a FP for Space) in a downpour without ponchos and barely getting any of us damp. We dodged through stores, under the TTA, around stroller, umbrellas etc. It was one of our quickest routes (single file of course) through the park. My advice, no matter how many times you've been and not matter how well you know a park, get a map for rain days, you may find a new path you never new existed.

Upvote 0

rileyspaw

WDW Rain

I've found when getting caught in a rain shower at WDW that you can do one of two things: get all bummed out about it or turn it into one memorable adventure you'll never forget. Be creative and check out something you've never done before or haven't done for a long time.

You make the MAGIC happen!!!!!! :king:

Upvote 0

Kadee

cowboibabyy said:
I read the tip about the Dollar Tree ponchos on here last year. They are great. Cheap but get the job done and when you are through with them you can throw them away with no guilt!

EXACTLY! We can by 10 at Dollar Tree for the price of 1 at WDW. I have used the big yellow ones, but kept them because I'm so cheap. At 50cents each, I have no problem tossing them when the rain clears.

Upvote 0

Kadee

d'Isigny said:
Don't you just love those moments?

We were actually a little bummed out that last year we had such perfect weather and didn't get to use our ponchos...

We'll be leaving POR just as you're coming in...

Too bad you're leaving when we get there. I am hoping to meet some of the great people on here. We are getting there at about 7am and having breakfast at Boatwright's......Perfect start for a vacation at WDW....then heading to MK.

Upvote 0

Fantasmic!329

I personally like to be in Innoventions when it starts raining. Lots to do there.

ScottEG said:
Does the MK train operate when it rains?
I don't believe so. I was boarding the train once when it looked like it was going to rain, and we had to exit the train.

Upvote 0

EpcotGrl

Definitely not AK! A friend and I were once trapped on a small ledge of concrete over a river of mud (wow, that was very Indiana Jones of us...) for almost an hour during a storm. Finally we decided our shoes weren't that important and just ran for it :) All the other parks I'm quite happy to be in the rain :)

Upvote 0

jeffs10

I would invest in a lightweight rainjacket with a hood that you can carry in a backpack or etc so when it does rain you can still enjoy the park and not worry about looking for a place to get out the rain unless its a bad storm.

I think animal kingdom is the hardest place to find cover in the rain.

But if there is a downpour as soon as the rain lightens up you can put your jacket on and beat all the crowds to the next ride or attration.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Definitely Epcot. It has the most indoor areas and you can go into any pavillion, for the most part, and by the time you are done, it's back to being sunny--especially in June. There are not nearly as many wash-out days in June as in July and August (I've had some pretty wet days in early August...not as bad in late May/early June).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom