when did a trip to WDW become a 6 time a year thing? Looking for opinions.

DisneyChik17

I would love to go 4 or 5 times a year, but it just not possible. Time and money just won't allow. I don't hold it against others that they can go often, no matter how they get the money. If you want to go into debt for a few extra trips, go ahead. Personally, I would not want to put myself in that position though.

figment1985

My fiancee and I are college students and we went to disney twice last year with our own money. We worked hard, paid off the trips before we went and everything.

The unshocking truth is that WDW is overly addicting. I was absolutely not going to go in 2007 and wait til our honeymoon, but that seemed to be impossible so we are going in Sept. I might even sell my car and buy a cheaper one to have a little extra spending money in disney! Why? Because WDW makes people insanely happy, it's like a drug for straight-edged people....and we only want more of it.

kirksheppard

Offended

The original poster really got to me with his critical attitude.

Here's why *I* go 2 - 3 times a year: I work 50+ hours a week as a mental health therapist. I see some of the saddest and most frustrating things on a daily basis that you can even imagine. I've seen what people will do to one another and their children as a result of anger, animosity, jealousy, and bitterness. I work extra hours in the emergency room dealing with drug overdoses, suicidal people, and clients who have severe mental illnesses including psychosis so bad they don't even know where they are or what their names are. A few times a year I get a break from all that and head to the happiest place on earth for 4 or 5 days.

Why would you begrudge me that privilege? And trust me, I don't spend 2K each trip... more like $500-$750 including on-site hotel accomodations and airfare from CINCINNATI the most expensive international airport within 500 miles. So before you start criticizing others, you might consider getting the facts straight.

Yellow Shoes

I didn't read the original post as critical of people who go to WDW multiple times per year, just those who get themselves into financial jeopardy to do so.

The criticism could just as easily be aimed at people who buy expensive cars, designer clothes, designer dogs, or have season tickets to any sport--professional or college.

This post actually reminded me of the "When Did Easter Become Christmas II?" thread.

We live in such an "entitlement" society. My parents, and certainly my grandparents, all people of modest means, never went on annual vacations.

(And I admit it, I feel deprived if I don't get on a plane and leave town at least once a year...)

mgraef

I know what you are saying yellow shoes. I remember splitting milk shakes as a kid with my siblings and each of us getting our own ice water. Not saying we were poor, but my first new bike was the one I bought in college.

Never felt deprived though. But since I can generally afford to go on vacation, we usually do and WDW is our first choice. Although this Summer it will be camping in the Black Hills of SD and I am certain we will have a blast.

I still strongly believe that vacation is well down the budget chain after living expenses, then retirement, college savings, and if there is something left over it is off to WDW.

mg

Scooter

We work hard for our money.
We go to Disney World twice a year..in the spring and again in the fall.
I say if you can afford it, go for it.
I paid for 3 kids college tuition, now it's time for Mom and Dad to have some fun.

Having said that, I do wish Disney was more like those sandwich shops that give you a punch card and after 10 sandwiches, you get a free one. :ROFLOL:

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
The original poster really got to me with his critical attitude.

Here's why *I* go 2 - 3 times a year: I work 50+ hours a week as a mental health therapist. I see some of the saddest and most frustrating things on a daily basis that you can even imagine. I've seen what people will do to one another and their children as a result of anger, animosity, jealousy, and bitterness. I work extra hours in the emergency room dealing with drug overdoses, suicidal people, and clients who have severe mental illnesses including psychosis so bad they don't even know where they are or what their names are. A few times a year I get a break from all that and head to the happiest place on earth for 4 or 5 days.

Why would you begrudge me that privilege? And trust me, I don't spend 2K each trip... more like $500-$750 including on-site hotel accomodations and airfare from CINCINNATI the most expensive international airport within 500 miles. So before you start criticizing others, you might consider getting the facts straight.

No one is being critical..I'm just wondering why some people would go to WDW 6 times a year...and why some people put going on vacation over their kids' health and welfare the rest of the year. You don't find it strange that someone would buy their kids all second hand clothing, use dangerous kerosene heaters, and shoot deer for meat to save a few bucks instead of buying meat from a store...just to go to Disney more than once per year? Or not save for a kid's furture when you know they will probably never be able to live independently? That to me just makes no sense, yet I know these very people personally.

As for me, I could most likely go a couple oifl times per year, but once is enough. I am lucky enough to be able to spend a week at the Beach Club every year with MYW tickets and dining. Perhaps it is because I have been to WDW almost every year since it opened as my dad worked for a corporate sponsor...maybe I'm a bit desensitized..lol. If I had to stay at the value resorts I wouldn't go, but that's just me. It's also because, when I used to go years ago, all their was was the Contemporary and Polynesian hotels and dad got killer prices on those so we always stayed onsite (and deluxe..as that's all there was).

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and I just wanted to know what the draw is that some poeple are willling to put themselves into major debt (to the point of threateing their home)

Who said anything about begrudging anyone anything? I'm a special ed teacher who deals with disadvantaged children so I know a lot of what you speak of.... I just want to know what draws people back so often. Doens't it get boring?

Plus. my husband was the first firefighter to die in the line of duty after 9/11 in the NYC area (house fire 4 months, 4 days after 9/11). Believe me, I know what it is to need some happy times....

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I didn't read the original post as critical of people who go to WDW multiple times per year, just those who get themselves into financial jeopardy to do so.

The criticism could just as easily be aimed at people who buy expensive cars, designer clothes, designer dogs, or have season tickets to any sport--professional or college.

This post actually reminded me of the "When Did Easter Become Christmas II?" thread.

We live in such an "entitlement" society. My parents, and certainly my grandparents, all people of modest means, never went on annual vacations.

(And I admit it, I feel deprived if I don't get on a plane and leave town at least once a year...)

You hit the nail on the head exactly Yellow shoes. Do you have a link to that thread? It sounds interesting! BTW, did you see the Disney DVD ad extolling the virtues of buying a Disney DVD for an Easter gift? What happened to simple baskets and a chocolate bunny?

I was reading an article about homes in my area that were in forclosure. Thee were people in forclosure who would rather see their home go than give up the Hummer that they financed through the home equity loan...what's up with that?

KevinRyanCole

When we go, we'll either drive or fly southwest for $49 each way

we stay offsite at a condo for about $49 a night with a kitchen and cook meals.

we don't spend a whole lot of money... maybe a thousand between me and mother.
2 roundtrip tickets =$200
7 days resort stay= $350
Car rental=Free with fathers coupons (travels for a living)
Food-=$300

equals $850 per trip

Plus

Passes(annual)=$750 once annually

slappy magoo

Putting aside, for a moment, the financial component and what people do to pay (or put off paying) for their WDW vacation, going to Disney became a few-times a year thing for many people because WDW keeps expanding and offering more services, building more resorts with more amenities, more parks or attractions within existing parks, not to mention maybe some of the things you can experience...outside of WDW (shhhhh! Pretend I didn't say that!)

In a way, Disney had become the 21st centuryt equivalent of a Catskills vacation, or a Jersey Shore/California Coast vacation. These locations still have their allure and their fans, but in the P.W. years (pre-WDW) they were much more popular locations, and it was common for some families to spend entire summers in these locations, perhaps with the major breadwinner continuing to work from Monday or Tuesday to Thursday or Friday and driving/flying down for 3-4 day weekends with the rest of the family. And while it's discussed more as a hypothetical than an actual experience, it's true that you can actually go to a WDW resort, enjoy all the bells and whistles of that resort (and all the other resorts if you choose to visit them) and have a relaxing, restful vacation without ever stepping foot in one of the parks. Of course, the argument is then, you can do all those regular vacation places for less in any other regular vacation destination. But a WDW does give you the luxury/option of both. If one parent and/or child in a family thinks he/she/they are beyond theme parks, or just want to rest, they can lounge poolside and do spa treatments or ride bikes or boats or enjoy campfires blah blah blah, while the rest of the family spends a day on sensory overload. Everybody gets to do what they want to do. It's kinda why WDW expanded as it did, recognizing that the theme parks is the coffee, and some people like their coffee black, but the resorts and all their amenities are the creamers that other people can't have their coffee without.

As other people have said, nobody should take out a mortgage or max out a credit card to go to WDW without knowing when or even if you'll be able to pay the debt back. But if it's within your means, it's pretty easy to find plenty to do beyond the e-tickets and water parks.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
Putting aside, for a moment, the financial component and what people do to pay (or put off paying) for their WDW vacation, going to Disney became a few-times a year thing for many people because WDW keeps expanding and offering more services, building more resorts with more amenities, more parks or attractions within existing parks, not to mention maybe some of the things you can experience...outside of WDW (shhhhh! Pretend I didn't say that!)

In a way, Disney had become the 21st centuryt equivalent of a Catskills vacation, or a Jersey Shore/California Coast vacation. These locations still have their allure and their fans, but in the P.W. years (pre-WDW) they were much more popular locations, and it was common for some families to spend entire summers in these locations, perhaps with the major breadwinner continuing to work from Monday or Tuesday to Thursday or Friday and driving/flying down for 3-4 day weekends with the rest of the family. And while it's discussed more as a hypothetical than an actual experience, it's true that you can actually go to a WDW resort, enjoy all the bells and whistles of that resort (and all the other resorts if you choose to visit them) and have a relaxing, restful vacation without ever stepping foot in one of the parks. Of course, the argument is then, you can do all those regular vacation places for less in any other regular vacation destination. But a WDW does give you the luxury/option of both. If one parent and/or child in a family thinks he/she/they are beyond theme parks, or just want to rest, they can lounge poolside and do spa treatments or ride bikes or boats or enjoy campfires blah blah blah, while the rest of the family spends a day on sensory overload. Everybody gets to do what they want to do. It's kinda why WDW expanded as it did, recognizing that the theme parks is the coffee, and some people like their coffee black, but the resorts and all their amenities are the creamers that other people can't have their coffee without.

As other people have said, nobody should take out a mortgage or max out a credit card to go to WDW without knowing when or even if you'll be able to pay the debt back. But if it's within your means, it's pretty easy to find plenty to do beyond the e-tickets and water parks.

Maybe that's another reason why I personally don't see a need to go to WDW more than once per year...I live at the NJ shore (though our poor shore is not what it used to be). I rent a car (not puttng 2K miles on the Prius in one clip) and we drive down from NJ because I like to spend the time with my kids and they like both the anticipation of getting to Florida and stopping at all of the hokey/schlocky places along the way (yea Stuckeys and Florida Welcome Centers...each having the only 13 foot long alligator in the universe!!!)

We don't do the waterparks because we have a spectacular one (that reminds us a lot of the Polynesian resort) near to where we live ..and it's located right on the beach by the ocean. We also don't go to the Boardwalk Resort because we live in the area that the BW is modeled after...too much like being at home. In fact, though we love the BC dearly, that's even almost too much like home for us (last time we were there, the gate guard was from the town where I teach! lol). We stay at the BC mainly because of Stormalong Bay and the fact that we spend 75% of our time at Epcot (can't keep my kids out of the Japanese and Chinese pavillions!).

I would love to be able to do WDW a lot cheaper (and probably could) I'm just way too spoiled by my past when there were only the Contemporary and Polynesian resorts...lol.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I guess it's just like asking..

why some poeple stay on-site only, others stay off-site, some only like deluxe WDW resorts, others like the moderates or values, etc.

For example, there are some beautiful off-site vacatins homes that you can rent for a 1/3 of the price of the BC but, while I'd love to stay in one, I've been spoiled by staying on-site ever since I began going to WDW. I don't know if I would ever stay off-site.

It's causing a bit of a problem with planning our TDL trip...I'm not used to not having all of the resort choices being Disney-owned or operated (though I am most likely going to stay in a more traditional accomodation to fully experience the Japanese culture).

Dwarful

Ok, I am a stay at home mother of two. I used to have a great paying job with excellent benefits as a postal worker. We used to go once a year to Disney starting with our honeymoon. Then in 2004/2005 we purchased our first set of AP's and squeezed three trips on those APs. Doing the same thing for 2006/2007. Some are longer trips others are shorter. If I can't grab cheap airfare from Southwest (usually I can), then we drive the 18 hours. We are by no means denying our children anything, but I also don't waste money. I don't have a cell phone, dishwasher or an automatic garage door opener. Sure I could go to the store, spend the money and have those items. But I prefer to have money in the bank, our two vehicles are paid for and our home is more than 50% paid for.

This year I am taking my oldest daughter's girl scout troop to Disney for a week. many of these girls and their families have never been to WDW. We have been working very hard to raise the money for this trip...cookie sales, car washes, chicken dinners, candy bar sales and the parents working the concession stands at the Blues & Cardinals games. The parents and the girls will have earned this trip.

People make foolish choices every day. Part of the problem with the foreclosures is homes were significantly overvalued when the interest rates were really low. Its true in our area and all across the country. No one forces someone to spend more than they have.

We live in an area where hunting is huge. No one in my family hunts, but it is really needed in our area..the deer & wild turkey population's are out of control. They cause significant amounts of property damage and personal injury and death. Just the other day a truck driver lost control of his vehicle when a wild turkey crashed through his windshield, he crossed the center line and hit an on coming car...tragic. Let the hunters hunt.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I agree with you..

Ok, I am a stay at home mother of two. I used to have a great paying job with excellent benefits as a postal worker. We used to go once a year to Disney starting with our honeymoon. Then in 2004/2005 we purchased our first set of AP's and squeezed three trips on those APs. Doing the same thing for 2006/2007. Some are longer trips others are shorter. If I can't grab cheap airfare from Southwest (usually I can), then we drive the 18 hours. We are by no means denying our children anything, but I also don't waste money. I don't have a cell phone, dishwasher or an automatic garage door opener. Sure I could go to the store, spend the money and have those items. But I prefer to have money in the bank, our two vehicles are paid for and our home is more than 50% paid for.

This year I am taking my oldest daughter's girl scout troop to Disney for a week. many of these girls and their families have never been to WDW. We have been working very hard to raise the money for this trip...cookie sales, car washes, chicken dinners, candy bar sales and the parents working the concession stands at the Blues & Cardinals games. The parents and the girls will have earned this trip.

People make foolish choices every day. Part of the problem with the foreclosures is homes were significantly overvalued when the interest rates were really low. Its true in our area and all across the country. No one forces someone to spend more than they have.

We live in an area where hunting is huge. No one in my family hunts, but it is really needed in our area..the deer & wild turkey population's are out of control. They cause significant amounts of property damage and personal injury and death. Just the other day a truck driver lost control of his vehicle when a wild turkey crashed through his windshield, he crossed the center line and hit an on coming car...tragic. Let the hunters hunt.

I think it all depends on priorities..like I said, the people who are losing their homes refusing to give up the Hummer for example. In my area people took out second mortgages to buy vacation homes, Now that the home values have dropped they are in seriously bad shape..houses can't be sold for the price they were purchased at...not to mention the fact that many of these homes where purchase with interest only mortgages or ARMs that are now reaching their maturity, causing the monthly payments to double in some cases.

I could honestly afford to go to WDW more than once per year, but I'm a compulsive saver...lol. I've had to do a lot, and I mean ALOT of work on my home (things like fixing a crumbling chimney, replacng the roof, repairing a flooded kitchen, etc) and have been able to do everything on a cash basis. My home is 2/3 paid for, my car is not financed, my kids' college is paid for and I'm taking part of my vacation budget this year to send my 18 year old to Japan for his HS graduation (he speaks fluent Japanese and has been dying to go). I save a certain amount per year in a vacation fund and that's what I spend for vacation in a year..no more. I do have a cellphone but its a prepaid and only costs $20 every three months.

I heat and A/C my home with geothermal and generate most of my own electricity with solar. I drive a Prius (my one splurge..lol). Energy costs average $115 total per month and that includes heat during these colder NE winters.

I read somewhere that no matter what kind of financial strait you are in...you never borrow against your primary residence. Excellent advice.

I also have no problem with hunting per se...I'm Native American, Dad was a hunter, we ate deer, pheasant, rabbit, and bear.. Even though he as more of a sport hunter, we always ate what was killed. However, we didn't eat these things exclusively to save money to take 3 vacations per year.

kirksheppard

No one is being critical..I'm just wondering why some people would go to WDW 6 times a year...and why some people put going on vacation over their kids' health and welfare the rest of the year. You don't find it strange that someone would buy their kids all second hand clothing, use dangerous kerosene heaters, and shoot deer for meat to save a few bucks instead of buying meat from a store...just to go to Disney more than once per year? Or not save for a kid's furture when you know they will probably never be able to live independently? That to me just makes no sense, yet I know these very people personally.

Well, then, you probably know the same kind of people I deal with on a day to day basis. And of course this is wrong. I apologize for taking your comments personally...

I'm probably just tired of everyone I know second guessing why I would want to go to Disney World so often. The reason is I want to, I can afford to, and I'm going to and all the people who don't get it can shut their mouths or kiss my... Unfortunately, you took the brunt of that defensiveness. Sorry.

But NO, it does not get boring. How could it?? It's Disney! I am going to spend a day or two at Universal on my next trip becuase we're going for NINE days... but every time we go there's something new to do. We did Keys to the Kingdom last time, which was amazing. Star Wars Weekends are this trip, MNSSHP is in October . . . there's always something different to do when we go.

CX360

Uh yeah, I have a response.

They go because they want to. If you want to go to Disney every single day, then go for it.

But, your question was why do they go if they put their house and finances in danger? Because they don't know how to manage their money correctly, that's why.

sabian

I do not see the problem. Honestly, people like what they like. If someone can afford it and they want to go to WDW 6 times a year, good for them. I don't feel that it is anyone's business passing judgement on people for wanting to spend their money this way. If people cut corners in some places to make budgetary room for their vacation, that's up to them. I mean people do this for luxury cars, expensive furniture, houses they cannot afford....people do it. If they can do it, i say go for it.
With that said, i agree that it is ridiculous for someone to mortgage their home to go on a vacation. I think it does not make very good financial sense. But, that is also their business. It is not our jobs to protect people from themselves. I believe if they make a bad decision, it's their problem. I don't care how the people in front of or behind me in line at Space Mountain paid for their trip. If they don't impact my trip negatively, i don't care. I can understand why some people like wdw that much, but as far as how they afford it, that's off my radar...my 2 cents:wave:

wdwmomof3

I wish that we could go to Disney more than we do. We go about every other year, some times every three years and we have always paid cash for our trips. I have known of people charging trips to go. I can't see it. I don't know why someone would borrow against their home to go on a vacation for a week either. To me, it's just not worth it. I love Disney World vacations more than anything, but I love my family more, and providing for them is more important than any vacation could ever be. :animwink:

I love the person who wrote:

There was a home equity loan commercial (for some bank, I'm sure) on TV this morning as I was getting ready. :rolleyes: I'm with you. To me, "Hey, lets put our home at risk just so we can go on a vacation we can't afford before we actually deserve to go," is not a very bright idea...:shrug: __________________

That's so true. :animwink:

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
Here's a situation I'd like some input on....

I don't know if I could stay there as a guest for more than a week, but I'm planning to work there when I retire...and a lot of people think that I'm crazy for wanting to work there. My sister for example...she takes her kids on the Disney Cruise, but never takes them to the parks...she says that she doesn't like to do "kid things"...ah well, to each their own.

It's got to be more fun than flipping burgers at Mc Donald's or being a Walmart greeter (no offense to walmart or McD's employees). I know that the hourly employees don't make great money but I'm planning on doing it just to keep active after I retire, the money is just a nice little extra. Where else can you work in such nice surroundings where it is warm all year? I hate the cold..lol.

I thought of this thead because of the articles I read on CNN and other news sites. There was also an article that said that the muliple trips per year to Disney World are a reason why kids are "brats" these days and why education is falling apart. They were equating the trips to parents not being able to say no. Actually the "brattier" kids I know are the neglected ones that I work with because they have no guidance. And they aren't really "brats" some are seriously troubled (at home, in school, and with the law).

Personally I think kids are getting brattier everywhere..the US, Japan, Europe, etc. What do you think?

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I do not see the problem. Honestly, people like what they like. If someone can afford it and they want to go to WDW 6 times a year, good for them. I don't feel that it is anyone's business passing judgement on people for wanting to spend their money this way. If people cut corners in some places to make budgetary room for their vacation, that's up to them. I mean people do this for luxury cars, expensive furniture, houses they cannot afford....people do it. If they can do it, i say go for it.
With that said, i agree that it is ridiculous for someone to mortgage their home to go on a vacation. I think it does not make very good financial sense. But, that is also their business. It is not our jobs to protect people from themselves. I believe if they make a bad decision, it's their problem. I don't care how the people in front of or behind me in line at Space Mountain paid for their trip. If they don't impact my trip negatively, i don't care. I can understand why some people like wdw that much, but as far as how they afford it, that's off my radar...my 2 cents:wave:

The problem becomes when you become so Disney obsessed that you attack everyone who DOESN'T go to Disney, like Disney, etc. Becoming obsessed with anything is not a good thing. I was attacked on DVC board for saying that I chose not to buy into the DVc, took the downpayment money and bought an acre and a half of land in Polk county. Someone waslike "so la de da, you bought 1.5 acreas of land..I have MY kids smiles for memories" and set about telling me what a horrible parent I am for puting landownership above my kids happiness at WDW. My land cost 6k and isnow worth...6 months later...45K...not a bad investment. I could buy 450 points for the BC if I decide to sell my land. However, what I do have is paid in full land that I can build on when I retire, or sell if I need the money.

It is also a problem when you see what I do ..kids who go to Disney 3 times a year, but don't have lunch money, clean clothes, wear ill fitting clothes with holes in them, don't have decent coats, are pulled out of school excessively to the point where they are failing, etc. Heck, one of the kids who goes several times per year was caught stealing in the cafeteria because he never has lunch money. and was hungry..that is a VERY big problem. Like I said before I know a family with two severly handicapped kids who will never be able to live independently...and they have no money set aside for these kids' (now older teens) futures,...because they go to Disney 3 times per year.

Things like this amaze me, but I see it every day..probably because I work with kids all day.

I too don't undestand those who have to have the luxury car at the risk of losing their home either. I also don't understand working threee jobs and not being home for your kids 49 weeks per year just so you can go to WDW 3 times per year. That's one reason why I teach, I don't make a heck of a lot of money, but I can be home on a daily basis with the kids when they need me, like afterschool to help with homework.

We go yearly , but we go for 7 days at a time because I drive from NJ and I definitely don't want to make that drive more than once a year..lol Like I said, I could go more often if I wanted to do it cheaper, but to me, it ain't WDW without the BC...lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom