Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

cfry06

Ahhhh, Chris! I'm so late to respond!! Although, my reason for being behind was a last minute trek to WDW - which was awesome - so good reason why ;) . Sad I missed you and the fam by only about a week! Although we live only 15 mins from each other at home, so it would be funny if we'd first bump into each other in FL! :D On that note - I was having trouble quoting your post, but yes, totally recommend checking out First Energy Stadium if in Berks! We love the Fightins', and the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor & his Ostrich!!

Just LOVING the report!!!
Love the pic of yia-yia checking out what's under the hood :hilarious:. Great pic and I LOL'd!
Love Ohana, always a great meal and time!
I love, love Poly - but the walk to Epcot from Yacht & Beach can't be beat.
Gorgeous Reflections photos. I think the spot in Japan worked out great! I think it's my fave fireworks show. Especially with the Holiday tag at Christmas. You have to check it out if you haven't seen it!
So sweet of Sterg to open up and share his "new" love of Disney and time with Dad. My little man is only 6, but I hope he has that same awakening when he reaches that age....after the teenage years. Funny enough, my 6 yo already feels like he's going on 16 sometimes :rolleyes:.
Small world - Sterg bumping into a fellow PSU swimmer! Although us PSU alum pop up everywhere, haha.

Can't wait to keep following along!

fractal

Original Poster
I've often recommended a trash can as a replacement for a tripod when taking long exposure photos. It's especially helpful at WDW as there are trashcans everywhere. Walking back to the Yacht Club that evening I decided to put my money where my mouth was; plus I was too lazy to break out the tripod. I was also too lazy to get out the remote shutter but it was also a bit of an experiment to see how well I could do without a tripod and remote shutter.

First attempt was pretty good, but you can see some movement caused when I pressed the shutter by looking at the Boardwalk sign. I could have used a timed shutter but did I mention I was lazy? I do believe I used a lenscap or maybe a few credit cards to rest the lens on. A bean bag (which they make for just this purpose) would have been ideal. 3.2 sec exposure @ f/7.1, ISO 100.

_DSC0706-X3.jpg

The next one was of the Yacht Club lighthouse which always beckoned to be photographed. Same settings.

_DSC0707-X3.jpg

I also took a handful of not so good shots. The neat thing however, was being able to set up pretty quickly, spend 5 or 10 minutes taking shots then be on my way with a couple really nice photos that are impossible to achieve handheld.

Sterg and I decided to walk through the Beach Club lobby. We never did meet up with Toni and Courtney who were always a step ahead of us. By the way, where else would you feeling safe leaving 2 fifteen year olds roam around at 11pm. Certainly having cell phones helped but I sure would have been much more nervous if they were anywhere else we've vacationed at that time of night.

_DSC0710-X2.jpg

Walking into the Beach Club lobby brought back many good memories. I always fancied this chandelier.

_DSC0711-X2.jpg

We eventually made it back to our rooms after a few wrong turns and cutting through a closed Ariel's. By the way, Sterg & I both agree that the YC lobby had the better scent - but it was very close.

The first day was in the books and despite some flashes of drama was one of the best days I've had at WDW. As I lay down to rest visions of Avatar danced through my head...

Up Next - Animal Kingdom overload. Avatar Day and Night with the first rides and impressions on River Journey and Flight of Passage!

Last edited:

MerMom1981

Now that I've finally caught up, your TR is totally giving me PTSD flashbacks from last summer!

That ominous feeling of responsibility for everyone's happiness (check)
The impossible task of getting everyone to the same place at the same time (check)
Awkward scooter boarding procedures (check)
Grandparents speeding on scooters (check)
,,, And sorta running people over (check)

Seriously though, the fun we had as a family is what stands out in my memory, and you've already shared some wonderful moments in just one day at Disney! Especially you & your son at Epcot. You're KILLING me man!

LilWalt

Great report as always! Wonderful family!
You should write a book, your story telling is great!

The last 3 pages I couldn't see your pictures. Not sure what is up with them.

fractal

Original Poster
Nice photo, as usual. But I still harbor a lot of animosity toward "the guy" they plunked there, to replace the gorgeous waterfall with lush greenery. What they have there now is contemporary and pleasant, but pleasant isn't exciting. :cautious:

Unforgivable what they did to that lobby--the "wow" factor is shot. . . :arghh:
Agree, but it's not really his fault. :D

Following along! You are one awesome leader! We're going in 67 days! We are going with my mom and her bff. So not quite such a big crowd to please. We decided we're doing dining ressies and FP's together and are free to split anytime...so fingers crossed! I'm curious to see what the rash turned out to be as well as what your in-laws thought of the other parks!
Thanks @slipperalwaysfits ! That sounds like a good plan. The rash and in-law's are coming up!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. :hilarious:

Loving the report! A large group and drama go hand in hand... add in some summer heat and it's a recipe for disaster! Your group seems great about just rolling with it, though! :)

Also love the picture of Toni with the Mickey balloon!
Thanks @blgauger. Still bummed I missed you at MK.

I'm from Lancaster County. PA is well represented on these boards!! (Even though @blgauger decided to leave!!)
Lol! Good to know.

Love this shot!!
Thanks @dipoore94 !

Finally caught up! Loving your report and photos! Especially the ones of the Poly, we're staying there for the first time in March and your photos are amping up the excitement! I will never do another large group trip, our trip of 3 is giving me a little anxiety lol! Can't wait to read the rest!
thanks @DonnaOnTheRocks ! Glad you are following1 You're going to love the Poly.

Based on the YouTube videos and the fact he too joined the board here, I think he has passed on from secret Disney fan to proud Disney fan. It's a great thing to bond over.
I think you are right!

Those fireworks shots are AMAZING. Lovely story about family bonding.
Thanks @Tiggerish! I still swing from wanting to punch him to wanting to hug him, but in a different way. :D

As good ol' Bob Ross used to say... "Happy little mistakes". Your viewing spot added interest to these and provided context. Stunning shots!
Thanks @DznyRktekt !

Aww this is too sweet :brb::cry:
In a manly kinda way...:D

Though drama isn't always fun, it sure does make for a great trip report!
I do take notes during the trip. I hate being involved in the drama but do perversely enjoy reporting it.

Great shot! I really like the added depth.
Thanks @senor_jorge ! How's the wife's photography going?

This just tugs at my heartstrings! I have two little boys with whom I can't wait to share my love of Disney with and make memories like this!
Thanks @MeeskaMooska0714 . Just remember, it's the bad moments that make the good moments mean more. :)

I agree with @DznyRktekt and @senor_jorge about the Japan foreground in your pics. It is absolutely stunning!
Thank you @PacNWTigger !

First off the spot for the fireworks in Japan, loved the pics!

Second I really enjoy the amount of depth of color all your photos show. I have this up on my tv and it's just awesome! I'm working on a new project, and the sights and sounds of Disney help feed my imagination and so these pics have me in a great mood.

So on a side note, my wife seems very similar to your wife with respect to Disney. I usually have to bribe mine with another trip before a Disney trip. For the record I even went my Disney reunion without her(which was smart bc I could talk Disney stuff in detail!)

Can't wait for more!
Thanks @ksr99 and glad I could help! I can see myself doing a Disney trip without Val. It would make us both happy.

As stated above by many others, great Illuminations shots! But, I have to admit, I love the father-son conversation post the most. Great memories!
thanks @coachwnh !

I was one of those teenagers and now my parents are like best friends! We do change :p

Does new soarin look that warped in real life or is that just the photos?? :cool:
More proof! In fact, I remember back 100 years ago when I was a teenager and I'm pretty sure I had similar tendencies as Sterg. The warp view is a combination of the screen and I think the photo itself. In real life I don't remember it being that bad.

There's one way to prevent that:

View attachment 221830
did you take that? I think Paris may be next on our list.

YES that is much better!
Indeed!

What a great conversation with Sterg in Epcot. Something I'm sure you'll always remember. Now...more drama, please. :D
LOL! :D:joyfull:

So many OUTSTANDING photos!!! :jawdrop:

Love reading the vignettes about the kids growing up, and all the nice new surprises emerging on this trip. :inlove:
Thank you @MinnieM123 !

I can't remember ever riding Test Track at night. Your pics convinced me to try doing that next month.
I also really enjoy the new version of Test Track.
I thought it was very cool at night!

Absolutely love the night shots of Illuminations ROE. When I was in college (way back in the 70's) I took a photography class and did several b&w night shots. They pale in comparison to yours. Absolutely stunning!
Thanks @Plowboy!

@Tuvalu 9999999
@ the rest of us 0

Max
Lol. yes.

Lol!

Thanks for the amazing pictures- is this your profession? Wow... And thank you for doing the trip report...and with your pictures I do not have to imagine where you are... you have phenomenal pictures. I aim to be like you, lol
Thanks for the compliment @hanwill. I'm a photography enthusiast. I've gotten paid for some of my photos and for some personal work that help pay for my hobby but it's not my profession. Seeing other's photo of Disney on these boards is what really inspired me to take up photography. 7 years ago I would not have been able to use a camera in anything but AUTO mode.

Ahhhh, Chris! I'm so late to respond!! Although, my reason for being behind was a last minute trek to WDW - which was awesome - so good reason why ;) . Sad I missed you and the fam by only about a week! Although we live only 15 mins from each other at home, so it would be funny if we'd first bump into each other in FL! :D On that note - I was having trouble quoting your post, but yes, totally recommend checking out First Energy Stadium if in Berks! We love the Fightins', and the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor & his Ostrich!!

Just LOVING the report!!!
Love the pic of yia-yia checking out what's under the hood :hilarious:. Great pic and I LOL'd!
Love Ohana, always a great meal and time!
I love, love Poly - but the walk to Epcot from Yacht & Beach can't be beat.
Gorgeous Reflections photos. I think the spot in Japan worked out great! I think it's my fave fireworks show. Especially with the Holiday tag at Christmas. You have to check it out if you haven't seen it!
So sweet of Sterg to open up and share his "new" love of Disney and time with Dad. My little man is only 6, but I hope he has that same awakening when he reaches that age....after the teenage years. Funny enough, my 6 yo already feels like he's going on 16 sometimes :rolleyes:.
Small world - Sterg bumping into a fellow PSU swimmer! Although us PSU alum pop up everywhere, haha.

Can't wait to keep following along!
Glad to have you aboard Chelsea! Looks like you had a great time in WDW! Tell him not to grow up too fast!

Now that I've finally caught up, your TR is totally giving me PTSD flashbacks from last summer!

That ominous feeling of responsibility for everyone's happiness (check)
The impossible task of getting everyone to the same place at the same time (check)
Awkward scooter boarding procedures (check)
Grandparents speeding on scooters (check)
,,, And sorta running people over (check)

Seriously though, the fun we had as a family is what stands out in my memory, and you've already shared some wonderful moments in just one day at Disney! Especially you & your son at Epcot. You're KILLING me man!
Lol, that list has it covered! Thanks for following @MerMom1981 !

Wow!! Those firework shots are INCREDIBLE!!
Thanks @Courtney6682!

Terrific Boardwalk/Beach Club photos! Really enjoying all the visual delights in this report.
Thanks @Matty30! your trip will be here before you know it!

thanks @LilWalt! Actually I have started writing a fiction/fantasy book. Of course the rest of the fam likes to make fun of that. :D It is a lot harder than it sounds!!

@fractal your pictures are fantastic and I appreciate you posting the settings you used. You know I want to be like you.;)
Thanks @Zipitidoda ! Looking forward to your pics when you get back!

You're not alone! Your old photography thread is the reason I'm currently bugging him via PM. :)
Lol! Always willing to answer questions and help. I had people do the same for me on these boards. :)

Zipadeelady

You're not alone! Your old photography thread is the reason I'm currently bugging him via PM. :)
I was hoping I wasn't the only one who would get something out my hundreds of questions about photography. Fractal and some others gave some great advise and awesome links that I still go back and look at. I hope you'll post some pics soon. Mine are still a work in progress but definitely better than when I started.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Back to the Yacht Club and instead of taking photos of the new Yacht Club rooms, I crashed on the bed (sorry). The rooms are nice and "contemporary" and as I mentioned in my pre-trip report they have been de-disneyfied. The Disney accents are very subtle. For someone like Val it works - for me I could use a bit more Mickey in my room. I also noticed the music on the bus is played at a lower level and is instrumental - vs. louder full Disney songs. The impression that I got was somebody decided to turn down the "Mickey volume" when outside of the parks. If you want to have the constant feeling of being in the Disney bubble you can find it, if you don't need that in your face 24/7 it's easy to tune out.

Still hidden Mickeys in the Yacht Club area rug...(but not in the hallway carpeting).

_DSC0547-X2.jpg

After a much needed break and some unpacking, we regrouped to tackle our first night in Epcot. Everyone except Sterg & I went to the pool. The "boy's" took their toys (camera and tripod) and headed to Epcot; hustling once again to make Reflections of Earth.

A quick shot of the Boardwalk first.

_DSC0549-X3.jpg

Sterg and I hit World Showcase just as they started to dim the lights. My plan was to take long exposure fireworks photos with the help of my tripod. Showing up 30 seconds before the show starts in not the way to do that. After walking around for a few minutes it was clear every good spot was taken. I was disappointed especially because last trip I failed at doing the same thing. Then I saw a little nook near Japan that I thought might work. We scrambled over there and staked our space (not that anyone else was too interested). It was a partially blocked view, but I thought I could make it work. I quickly unfolded and set up my tripod and although I missed the start of the show (which I love!) I managed a few photos that I was very pleased with...

_DSC0564-X2.jpg

_DSC0565-X2.jpg

_DSC0568-X2.jpg

I used an aperture of f/6.3 with a 13 second exposure @ ISO 50 for those keeping score. This may be my favorite...

_DSC0572-X2.jpg

I opted for a tighter focal length using a 55mm lens vs my wide lens thinking the bonsai tree and Japanese structure would make a great foreground.

During the time I was setting up, I handed the camera to Sterg who took a few handheld shots of the fireworks. Big difference.

_DSC0561-X2.jpg

I bring this up because often when people see my photos of long exposure fireworks they'll say "Wow, you must have a great camera." While I do have a very good camera, it's not the camera as much the technique. A decent camera on a tripod with the correct settings will get you those beautiful streaks and flares - if you know what your doing.

During the show we heard that Toni and Courtney were in Epcot about to get on Soarin' (Courtney had gotten us FPs). We quickly packed up and decided to follow their lead.

Sterg and I were continuing a great conversation that started as we left Yacht Club. He wanted to express how much he was enjoying being back in WDW (not easy for a 20 year old "tough guy athlete") and through the start of our YouTube channel, how we've been spending more time together. Indeed on this trip, Toni and Courtney naturally went together so Sterg and I become the "boy's" pair.

"Everyone is so nice in Disney." He said. "I've really noticed that. Not just the people working here, but the people visiting. Everyone is just so nice."

"Well, not everyone," I replied thinking of a few instances in the past. "but I'm sure its much more than normal."

"It's just such an amazing place. All the parks, the resorts, the stores..." It was as if he was talking about a new love. As we made our way towards the Land, every little detail stood out to him. The amazement of being in a park at 10pm in the dark ready to tackle more thrills. He mentioned how great it was that "for once" it was just him and I.

It's very true that Toni had been my "sidekick" for the last trips. Sterg and Alex played the cool older brother and sister and forged their own alliance. But the circumstances of this trip, especially at a time when a father/son relationship is not always the best, turned at to be perfect (well almost).

We both agreed it was good to see "Patrick" again.

_DSC0575-X2.jpg

It reminded me of the trip to California Sterg and I took in 2012 (and rode Soarin' 5 times). He was 15 at the time, in full fledged "cool teenager" mode. Not only was he not carrying around a camera, he wanted nothing to do with having any photos taken of him and wasn't that thrilled about strolling around with his Dad in Disneyland. We had fun no doubt but I realized on this night in Epcot how much he's matured and changed. There is hope, fellow parents of teenagers!

Soon we were flying around the World.

_DSC0576-X2.jpg

_DSC0581-X2.jpg

_DSC0584-X2.jpg

_DSC0601-X2.jpg

Coming up...

Our first day in Disney is not over yet! Plenty more to be done during EMH at Epcot.
More flippin amazing photos!!
Playing with papaya.

_DSC0620-X2.jpg
Personally I prefer to eat papaya. Topped with some salt & lime. :hungry:

:D
I've often recommended a trash can as a replacement for a tripod when taking long exposure photos. It's especially helpful at WDW as there are trashcans everywhere. Walking back to the Yacht Club that evening I decided to put my money where my mouth was; plus I was too lazy to break out the tripod. I was also too lazy to get out the remote shutter but it was also a bit of an experiment to see how well I could do without a tripod and remote shutter.

First attempt was pretty good, but you can see some movement caused when I pressed the shutter by looking at the Boardwalk sign. I could have used a timed shutter but did I mention I was lazy? I do believe I used a lenscap or maybe a few credit cards to rest the lens on. A bean bag (which they make for just this purpose) would have been ideal. 3.2 sec exposure @ f/7.1, ISO 100.

_DSC0706-X3.jpg

The next one was of the Yacht Club lighthouse which always beckoned to be photographed. Same settings.

_DSC0707-X3.jpg

I also took a handful of not so good shots. The neat thing however, was being able to set up pretty quickly, spend 5 or 10 minutes taking shots then be on my way with a couple really nice photos that are impossible to achieve handheld.

Sterg and I decided to walk through the Beach Club lobby. We never did meet up with Toni and Courtney who were always a step ahead of us. By the way, where else would you feeling safe leaving 2 fifteen year olds roam around at 11pm. Certainly having cell phones helped but I sure would have been much more nervous if they were anywhere else we've vacationed at that time of night.

_DSC0710-X2.jpg

Walking into the Beach Club lobby brought back many good memories. I always fancied this chandelier.

_DSC0711-X2.jpg

We eventually made it back to our rooms after a few wrong turns and cutting through a closed Ariel's. By the way, Sterg & I both agree that the YC lobby had the better scent - but it was very close.

The first day was in the books and despite some flashes of drama was one of the best days I've had at WDW. As I lay down to rest visions of Avatar danced through my head...

Up Next - Animal Kingdom overload. Avatar Day and Night with the first rides and impressions on River Journey and Flight of Passage!
Next trip I request that you stay at AKL so that you can photograph my favorite resort.

fractal

Original Poster

Is anybody else having a problem viewing photos?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom