When and where was your first resort stay?

Frees Fan

Hey guys! I'm just curious as to when your first visit and resort stay was and what on-site hotel.

My first visit was in 1975 and my family stayed in the garden wings of the Contemporary. It was great. Back then they had a HUGE gameroom filled with video games and pinball machines. They even had the "world's largest pinball machine". I didn't like the pools though. They had two...one round and one square. The pool at the Poly was mich nicer with waterfalls and a slide.

Just curious about your first stay.

Thanks in advance for all the replies!

:wave:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Back in the early days of WDW and The Contemporary, with my parents. I'll never forget how special I felt because we were staying in teh hotel, that "the monorail goes through". And my hope is that we'll be staying there later this year.

Upvote 0

Laura

When I was a kid we always stayed in my dad's timeshare in Kissimmee. I know when I was a baby we stayed at Fort Wilderness 1 or 2 times in our tent. Right after the Grand Floridian opened we stayed there for a trip (I was probably about 7). Then I didn't stay on site again until my senior trip in 99 and we stayed at All Star Sports.

Then also in 99 was my honeymoon and we stayed at Port Orleans, then I went in 2001 and stayed at All Star Music, then last fall we stayed at All Star Movies, and this summer we'll be at Pop Century.

So all in all I think this summer will only be my 7th or 8th time staying AT Disney.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

My first trip was in 1987 (when I was only 2 years old :lol: ) and we stayed in the Hilton which today is one of the DTD hotels. In 1992 we stayed on property for the first time, staying at the Yacht Club in like May and Dixie Landings in I think November. Then, between 1992 and 2001 we would only stay off-property. The reason I say this is because we had sort of a rebirth of Disney hotels :lol:. For Thanksgiving 2001, we stayed in CBR and from then on we were hooked. Now we only do Disney all the way :D

Upvote 0

sarajo

My first trip was when I was 3 1/2 years old- May 1972. We stayed at the Polynesian Resort for 4 nights (I think). A room cost $22 per night at that time. I saw the room bill recently (when going through old scrap books) and the entire stay at the Poly, including several meals at Papeete Bay Verandah and Coral Reef and ticket books, cost just over $200. WOW!!! My dad said that that was an expensive trip at the time because you could stay in a Holiday Inn (a nice hotel) for about $8 a night then.

If only you could stay there for 4 days for $200 now-- yeah, right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

Debbie

My first trip was in 1976, I was 12, and we stayed at the Days Inn on U.S.192. I can remember when this road had only a handful of places. Also, in 1976, we (mom, dad, and kids) had the coupon books at WDW and we had to get the cheapest:( .
In 1981, I went with my nanny, uncle, and their three kids, and we stayed at the Contemporary (Garden Wing), for seven nites. Only the Magic Kingdom was open, but boy, that trip alone got me hooked and determined that there was more to this world than what Mom and Dad made me think there was.

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The fist one I remember was way back during the first month the CBR was opened. We stayed there until PO opened for each trip.

Geez... Does anyone remember what year that would have been that CBR opened?

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Originally posted by One Lil Spark

Geez... Does anyone remember what year that would have been that CBR opened?

We stayed during its first month too, and I remember it being 1988, give or take a year (I know that is not the most accurate time frame, haha).

I do remember my dad saying some fo the Barbados buildings were not even finished yet. We were in Barbados 13, overlooking a beautifully landscaped courtyard. The walk was way too far, and the bus always full, so we scoped out our area for every CBR vacation afterwards, ARUBA 52!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

figmentfan

The first resort I stayed at was Ft. Wilderness Campground in 1985. I was about 4 years old. I don't remember it that much.

The one resort I recall is in 1992 staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We had a dry spell in between 1985 to 1992. We stayed outside of the property if we went to Disney. But, 1992 spark the Disney interest, and we have never stayed off property again.

Here is a list of all the resorts my family and I have stayed on property since 1971:
All-Stars=5
Animal Kingdom Lodge=2
Caribbean Beach=18 (too many to count)
Port Orleans Riverside=8
Ft. Wilderness Campground=6
Wilderness Lodge=10
Contemporary=2
Polynesian=2
Grand Floridian=1
Coronado Springs=1
Downtown Disney Hotel=1

Upvote 0

Enderikari

I have no idea the year, except that I was real young, but my first resort stay at Walt Disney World is the now-stolen-The Disney Inn.

An excellent resort, if anyone gets a chance to stay there again.

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by surfsupdon
We stayed during its first month too, and I remember it being 1988, give or take a year (I know that is not the most accurate time frame, haha).
Hey, how old are you? We could have known each other and rode the same bus to the parks as each other back in the 80s!!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Originally posted by One Lil Spark
Hey, how old are you? We could have known each other and rode the same bus to the parks as each other back in the 80s!!

Well let's see, I would have been about 6 for my first ever on site Disney vacation at CARIBBEAN BEACH back in '88. It was remarkable and has called us back for many trips.

Now that I'm older, 21, I always think of how many different people form different places I swam in the pools at CBR with. I mean, I am a water bug with my sister, and we met and become vacationlong friends with so many kids. Friends I have now, we realized that we our fmailies used to vacation at CBR during the same Easter week over and over, but we did not know eachother then to take advantage of eachother's company.

Upvote 0

stingrock23

My first trip was when I was nine months old. Of course I don't remember anything, but my mom tells me I had a smile on my face. The first time I remember was in 2nd grade, and we stayed at the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

Tenny317

The first time I went to Disney was 1986....I was almost a year old...I'm from new york and apparently my first steps were in Florida! Sadly, not a Disney but close enough!! The first time I stayed at a park was I believe 1994 at Caribbean Beach Resort.....I've stayed at the park so often I don't remember anymore lol...but thats what I think it is...watch CBR opened in like 1998 or something.....

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

first trips

First trip 1976
First on property Contempory Tower 1995(First trip with hubby to be)
Two more trips to Contempory (1998,2000)
The next trip will be the honeymoon in Oct. 2004) at the grand

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Our first family trip to WDW was in April of 1988; our second was in April of '89. We stayed off-site both of those trips, but when we returned in April of '91, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach, and loved it! Thereafter, our annual April trips were always at Port Orleans (now Port Orlenas French quarter) - our all-time favorite resort ANYWHERE.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom