What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

mickEblu

:hilarious:

yeah but there is somthing beautiful about Disneyland in december. the smells, the weather, the christmas tree, the christmas parades, it is a very magical time to go if you ask me. i used to go in december quite a bit back in the day. before the dark times, before HMH took over.

For me the park is at its best when it’s in classic mode but Christmas is definitely worth a visit or two. You can still find a few decent days to go. Usually mid November (though not all the Christmas decorations are up then), the weekdays on the first week after Thanksgiving through the first week of December and then the last few years their has been this one really sweet spot the week before Christmas when Deluxe APs and lower are blocked but nobody is really on break yet.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

For me the park is at its best when it’s in classic mode but Christmas is definitely worth a visit or two. You can still find a few decent days to go. Usually mid November (though not all the Christmas decorations are up then), the weekdays on the first week after Thanksgiving through the first week of December and then the last few years their has been this one really sweet spot the week before Christmas when Deluxe APs and lower are blocked but nobody is really on break yet.
My personal favorite time to go is in the summer but i do like the atmosphere from nov-dec

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think SWGE is a hit. And most people do too.
The crowds are returning because families around the country heard about the massive crowds and rescheduled their vacations to avoid the crowds. So now we are seeing the crowds return. Also their recent huge SWGE media blitz is working.

Finally. It’s interesting when those that ride on the DLhatemachine starts cranking out “Billion dollar land is a bust!!!” Seems a little odd when the priciest feature of the land is not even open. However. Is SWGE a hit? Yes. But you’ll never concede that, so there is no point to discuss any further.

The land is PACKED this month. Yes, October is popular with Halloween, but summer is the busiest time ever. So. If you guys say that SWGE was so bad along with price hikes, people abandoned the parks. I say the summer was dead because people freaked out about the crowds and stayed away.
Let’s see who’s theory plays out more properly into October. Crowds have increased. According to you it’s because this time of year is busy. BUT. So is summer. You said summer was dead because of SWGE flop and price hikes. Welllllll. Why wouldn’t that also be the case in October???
My theory is, the parks were light in the summer because people postponed their trips due to hype everywhere. So, now, we are starting to see people who postponed a few months, starting to show up. Hence. The park is getting packed again.

My theory makes logical sense and actually holds up true for both the initial drop in attendance and holds true for the surge recently.
Yours. Fails. It’s cool though. You’re not going to change your war against SWGE. Just know your echo chamber is going to get smaller and smaller as the signs become more obvious that it’s a hit!!
Call it FAKE NEWS all you want. Everyone will be enjoying the park, including Batuu. But keep writing that fan fiction. It’s cute. A fun hobby :)

Hey, you’re supposed to blindly hate on GE. What are you doing here? Stop making this thread semi-interesting and hop on the train of bitterness.

TP2000

I think SWGE is a hit. And most people do too.
The crowds are returning because families around the country heard about the massive crowds and rescheduled their vacations to avoid the crowds. So now we are seeing the crowds return. Also their recent huge SWGE media blitz is working.

But the recent crowds are not exclusive to October, 2019.

These big October crowds have descended on Anaheim since at least the early 2010's. It's only notable this autumn because the summer was so slow in a booming economy with record low unemployment and very strong consumer demand for big ticket items the past six months (cars, appliances, etc.).

The crowds "return" every October for about the past decade because of the strength of the HalloweenTime brand and events. It's nice to see that it happened again this year, in light of how flat Star Wars Land fell this past summer.

I started another thread about this, but I think the biggest issue here is their failed and messy marketing message they used in May/June 2019 that scared everyone away. They will be running away from that failed message as quickly as they can, and HalloweenTime helps. Next up, their Christmas message before they try and relaunch Star Wars Land in January with the new Resistance ride.

TP2000

Star Tours had a line all the way down Main Street!

The 1987 Star Tours line filled up most of Tomorrowland before they aimed it down Main Street in desperation, during an era when Americans were far less fat and ECV's didn't exist so the line was packed tighter with humans.

Star Tours was huge in 1987, when Disneyland had annual attendance of only 13 Million, compared to 2018's park attendance of the Disneyland Resort of about 28 Million. And Millennium Falcon: Target Run is average about 45 minutes on the busiest days, 20 minutes on slower days. Yeah.... I can only imagine how many fingers are being pointed back and forth right now in Burbank and Glendale.

jKbkQep.jpg

Everyone in that line is slender and healthy and there's not an ECV or double-wide stroller in sight. They packed 'em in like sardines back in 1987!

mickEblu

The 1987 Star Tours line filled up most of Tomorrowland before they aimed it down Main Street in desperation, during an era when Americans were far less fat and ECV's didn't exist so the line was packed tighter with humans.

Star Tours was huge in 1987, when Disneyland had annual attendance of only 13 Million, compared to 2018's park attendance of the Disneyland Resort of about 28 Million. And Millennium Falcon: Target Run is average about 45 minutes on the busiest days, 20 minutes on slower days. Yeah.... I can only imagine how many fingers are being pointed back and forth right now in Burbank and Glendale.

jKbkQep.jpg

just to play devils advocate for a second (as I do agree that Star Tours and Indy had a Much bigger buzz when they opened than Galaxies Edge) but SWL has 14 acres to spread people around. Indy and Star Tours were placed in existing lands with tight walkways. Not to mention that Star Tours has a tiny queue. It’s probably the exact moment in history where they realized those smaller queues weren’t going to work anymore. They didn’t make the same mistake with Splash Mountain. Of course it helps that it was a new build and wasn’t confined to a small existing building in TL.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

just to play devils advocate for a second (as I do agree that Star Tours and Indy had a Much bigger buzz when they opened than Galaxies Edge) but SWL has 14 acres to spread people around. Indy and Star Tours were placed in existing lands with tight walkways. Not to mention that Star Tours has a tiny queue. It’s probably the exact moment in history where they realized those smaller queues weren’t going to work anymore. They didn’t make the same mistake with Splash Mountain. Of course it helps that it was a new build and wasn’t confined to a small existing building in TL.
my counter point to that was Indy has a long cue and the lines for it went way past pirates.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The Indy line started out on Main Street for the first couple years. Here is the end of the line out near the current Jolly Holiday Bakery in 1996.

19960526_142237.jpg

They had planned for a huge line at Splash Mountain in 1989, but these dancers scared everyone away.

jhrgg5b7j8-1024x697-1-1-696x474.jpg
Lol i stand corrected. Maybe i am thinking of the line being by pirates at a later date but still busy just not as busy as when it opened. Thanks for clarifying. But it proves my point that Indy has such a long queue already and it had to go out to main street still. The line for the falcon, correct me if i am wrong, has not reached the closest entrance of galaxy's edge near the attraction and has never left the land.

shambolicdefending

To be fair, these comparisons should really be made to Rise of the Resistance. Of course the marketing folks have hyped up MFSR like it's a groundbreaking e-ticket. But, it's not, and the type of people that would stand in line for hours to ride something know that it's not.

The parks still have a chance to hit a home run with RotR. If it's as good as it has the potential to be, it'll match or beat all of the other big e-ticket openings in the past.

DanielBB8

Smuggler's Run should be as popular as Star Tours when it opened, but it's a bad attraction. It's as popular as the SOLO movie, which bombed at the box office and the basis for the attraction, and it had Hondo that no one heard of. So that's why it can't be sold to the public. If only they had the original trilogy....

Phroobar

To be fair, these comparisons should really be made to Rise of the Resistance. Of course the marketing folks have hyped up MFSR like it's a groundbreaking e-ticket. But, it's not, and the type of people that would stand in line for hours to ride something know that it's not.

The parks still have a chance to hit a home run with RotR. If it's as good as it has the potential to be, it'll match or beat all of the other big e-ticket openings in the past.
So the question is when RotR opens will they go crazy with reservations/limited AP/no FP or just let it have a free for all?

SuddenStorm

And Christmas has brought the crowds in full force.

Yesterday was quite slow, and it was easy to view both the fireworks and parade. The second Fantasmic was empty, I got center seating right next to the dining packages 10 minutes before the show started.

Today's wait times look like a typical Saturday, I'm curious to see how much busier it gets this evening.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm going in 4 weeks. Unfortunately, looks like Hyperspace mountain is going to remain intact. Crowds will probably make a comeback with the Christmas decor and I expect the entire month of December is going to be busy..

except there is the chance that it may not be, seeing RotR is right around the corner but who knows. Iger is so confident that ONE ride is the reason for this less than ideal attendance. I think it's a pathetic attempt to save face, but it remains to be seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom