What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

Phroobar

We will be there 9/16-9/20, however we are not attending either of the Halloween parties and instead will be spending both of those days at Disneyland Park. Does this usually equate to lower crowds because everyone is at DCA? Judging by the wait times on the app today I'm not sure how much lower they can get...
The parks have been dead all summer. I wouldn't worry about it.

WDW Pro

Except wait times are great in Galaxies Edge too. Lol.

Everyone’s unblocked and now all of sudden AP parents care about their kids school? I’ve been to the park many a School night at 11pm only to see toddlers in line for a ride they don’t even want to go on and are scared of just so their selfish parent can go on Mr. Toad for the 467th time.

That parent was me.

So what's going to be our new narrative we go with for defending the crowd sizes? So far we've heard:

1. Disney meant to do this so people would have a better experience.
  2. Disney didn't mean to do such a good job of driving crowds away.
  3. People believed the crowds would be crazy so they didn't come.
  4. The crowds would be insane as soon as the APs were unblocked.
  5. It's just too **** hot.

shambolicdefending

Crowds are low because prices have finally overshot perceived value of the product. Whether that's the price to upgrade passes, buy a day ticket, etc. It's the same basic reasoning either way.

If you're Disney, there are only two ways to solve this problem: Either lower prices, or improve the product's value.

Judging by the 2020 blockout calendar, it looks to me like they're content to let gradual inflation manage the former, while banking on RotR to do the latter.

BubbaQuest

So will this Sunday be a mass hysteria like it has been in the past? (First Sunday with all APs open)

I assumed it would be, but I hadn't really been following the huge price increases. I was surprised to see if you don't already own a SoCal AP, the cheapest AP option to return on Sundays is now $600! That's a big difference from the sub-$300 price point it had been for years.

How many SoCal APs are still out there? They stopped selling those in 2017, right?

RobWDW1971

So what's going to be our new narrative we go with for defending the crowd sizes? So far we've heard:

On the WDW thread they are using Dorian to rationalize SWGE's failure so let's add that to the list for DL as well, why not.

DanielBB8

I'm not sure which is worse. Disney's explanation or Disney's defenders.

For years, the complaint was Disneyland was too crowded. So there's less one thing to complain about, correct? But no, this raises a host of new issues that includes entertainment cutbacks. The benefit of low crowds will have a cost. Just enjoy it before the holiday rush.

shambolicdefending

I'm not sure which is worse. Disney's explanation or Disney's defenders.

For years, the complaint was Disneyland was too crowded. So there's less one thing to complain about, correct? But no, this raises a host of new issues that includes entertainment cutbacks. The benefit of low crowds will have a cost. Just enjoy it before the holiday rush.
The problem is nobody believes this is what Disney's actually trying to do. This was not an intentional strategy to lower crowds at the expense of some other trade off.

So, this probably won't last, and isn't something to celebrate with a long-term view.

DanielBB8

So will this Sunday be a mass hysteria like it has been in the past? (First Sunday with all APs open)

I assumed it would be, but I hadn't really been following the huge price increases. I was surprised to see if you don't already own a SoCal AP, the cheapest AP option to return on Sundays is now $600! That's a big difference from the sub-$300 price point it had been for years.

How many SoCal APs are still out there? They stopped selling those in 2017, right?
I'm wondering this myself. If APs cancelled due to being blocked out of Galaxy's Edge (and the higher pricing), it'll explain why the APs haven't returned. It'll also explain why they won't return until Rise of Resistance is opened.

SirWillow

I'm thinking that their massively increased prices are playing a fairly big role. We've wondered for years when Disney was going to finally go over the supply/ demand pricepoint, and it seems like they've not only hit it, but gone well over.

I still maintain that it's not a Star Wars thing, that it's an overpriced for the whole park/ management screw up thing.

Phroobar

I'm thinking that their massively increased prices are playing a fairly big role. We've wondered for years when Disney was going to finally go over the supply/ demand pricepoint, and it seems like they've not only hit it, but gone well over.

I still maintain that it's not a Star Wars thing, that it's an overpriced for the whole park/ management screw up thing.
Well we still have people that stumble in here from the WDW side and think Disneyland is packed during their trip and want to hyper-plan their day around record crowd levels.

Of course there are the few that still think Disneyland is in Florida.

BubbaQuest

I'm wondering this myself. If APs cancelled due to being blocked out of Galaxy's Edge (and the higher pricing), it'll explain why the APs haven't returned. It'll also explain why they won't return until Rise of Resistance is opened.

If they return at all. $2400 ($200/mo) for APs for a family of 4 is very different than the sub $1000 ($65/mo) price just a couple of years ago. Might Disney bring back the SoCal Select passes again?

shambolicdefending

I don't think this should really surprise anybody. The downside to the lesser Bob's "measure once, build twice" philosophy is that if something flops in one place, it's more than likely going to flop in the other when it opens three months later.

SWGE's salvation now lies completely with RotR (and maybe a boost of some degree if Ep IX is better than expected).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom