What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

Darkbeer1

I remember going to Disneyland before Maxpass. I remember being in Critter Country and making my group hustle over to Tomorrowland for a Space Mountain FP because we were eligible for a new one. The constant zig zagging around the park to get the passes, and timing when I ride everything to ensure I always had a Fastpass and was getting a new once as soon as I'm eligible.

Am I nostalgic for it? Not at all. I love the ease of being able to book my whole party's fp via my phone, from anywhere in the park. It makes it easier for me to ensure maximum efficiency, all while making the day seem slower and easier. Maxpass and mobile ordering are the two things that make the app worth it.

That said- not everything needs to be digital. The Play app is a huge step in the wrong direction. Encouraging guests to actively use their phones to play hokey games directly contradicts the point of going to Disneyland, and it's something I hope Disney moves away from- especially since they haven't been able to demonstrate that they can do it well if GE is any indication. I use my phone to book Fastpasses, redeem fastpasses, and order food. Otherwise, it's in my pocket so I can enjoy the park and the people I'm with.

I remember when Ralphs Frequent Shopper Cards worked in the FastPass Machines, so did Knott's AP's (Yes, AP's back then). Basically anything with a barcode in the lower right corner....

Finding ways to get as many FP's as possible was a game in the early years.

I ended up writing the Joy of FastPass, which explained all the legal and proper ways to get as many FastPasses as possible.

They would come up with a fix, and another workaround was found. It only was when Disney spent a LOT of money to build a new networked system that accessed the turnstiles, and the FP machines in real time did things calm down. But at the beginning they left of some attractions, creating two networks... I had a lot of CM's that loved what I did, and some that weren't happy to be assigned to upgrade/fix the system.

mickEblu

I remember going to Disneyland before Maxpass. I remember being in Critter Country and making my group hustle over to Tomorrowland for a Space Mountain FP because we were eligible for a new one. The constant zig zagging around the park to get the passes, and timing when I ride everything to ensure I always had a Fastpass and was getting a new once as soon as I'm eligible.

Am I nostalgic for it? Not at all. I love the ease of being able to book my whole party's fp via my phone, from anywhere in the park. It makes it easier for me to ensure maximum efficiency, all while making the day seem slower and easier. Maxpass and mobile ordering are the two things that make the app worth it.

That said- not everything needs to be digital. The Play app is a huge step in the wrong direction. Encouraging guests to actively use their phones to play hokey games directly contradicts the point of going to Disneyland, and it's something I hope Disney moves away from- especially since they haven't been able to demonstrate that they can do it well if GE is any indication. I use my phone to book Fastpasses, redeem fastpasses, and order food. Otherwise, it's in my pocket so I can enjoy the park and the people I'm with.

I don’t like either. I hated the zig zagging and planning aspect of Paper FPs and I hate having my face buried in my phone with MaxPass.

Now if you have a one day park hopper and you are with day guests or fam/ friends from out of town MaxPass is a must if you are just trying to do all the E’s. The trouble is, on a busy day (when you need MaxPass the most) you find yourself strategizing with your face buried in your phone for what FP to get next. Both of these systems eliminated most spontaneity which is a shame but at least with paper FPs you weren’t staring at your phone all the time.

The ironic thing is that you you still have to zig zag with Max Pass. The only difference is you are postponing it until later in the day. This is especially true towards the end of a busy day when you have accumulated a few FPs. The mad zig zag of running back and forth between parks to make your FP return time begins. There is only so much planning you can do to avoid this as FPs are primarily strategized by demand and what runs out first. Granted, my experience with MaxPass has only been with non APs and when I’m trying to get them on all the big rides. If one is using MaxPass completely at their leisure just to get on a high priority ride or two without running around that’s a different story.

Basically I don’t recommend a one day park hopper to anyone. Not if you re trying to do all the highlights. It leads to an exhausting marathon of a day.

Last edited:

Touchdown

If your zig zagging you are doing it wrong. I definitely try to keep FP in a logical order (grouping Tomorrowland/Matterhorn FPs, left side FPs, and book DCA FPs so I don’t zigzag.

shambolicdefending

Not to poke a sleeping bear, but I've concluded the whole FastPass system is at least partially responsible for the modern stroller infestation at DLR.

All the extra steps the usual FP zig-zag adds are hard enough on parents. MaxPass only makes it marginally easier.

mickEblu

Not to poke a sleeping bear, but I've concluded the whole FastPass system is at least partially responsible for the modern stroller infestation at DLR.

All the extra steps the usual FP zig-zag adds are hard enough on parents. MaxPass only makes it marginally easier.

I don’t think the parents are bringing strollers more because they re walking more if that’s what you re getting at? There are just more people visiting the parks now so there are more strollers. That and with FP more people are walking around so more strollers are being pushed around.

mickEblu

Between the hour window and knowing which FPs are more popular it’s not hard.

Again you re living in your own bubble on the days you like to go. Try going with a couple on a really busy day who only goes to Disneyland every 5 years and wants to go on everything. When you have to run to RSR first thing because they run out quick. Now you re locked into a 5pm return time at DCA. Next you have to keep your eye on GOTG and/ or Space Mountain because those go next and whatever the return time is so be it. You re first 3 Max Passes of the day are based on the fact that they run out first and not because of any planning on your part to group FPs in one area of the park. Like I said if you are flexible and don’t care about getting on certain rides it’s a different story. MaxPass is perfect for APs who don’t care about getting on everything but also don’t want to burn off corn dogs.

SuddenStorm

If your zig zagging you are doing it wrong. I definitely try to keep FP in a logical order (grouping Tomorrowland/Matterhorn FPs, left side FPs, and book DCA FPs so I don’t zigzag.

Going by land has been proven by Touring Plans to be one of the worst ways to navigate Disneyland. For numerous reasons. Different attractions have different demand and supply for fast pass... so it's essential to get them in the proper order. For me, that order is typically:

Space Mountain
Indiana Jones Adventure
Matterhorn
Star Tours (if I'm riding it, I usually prefer to skip this)
Big Thunder
Haunted Mansion
Roger Rabbit (If riding)
it's a small world

Splash Mountain I prefer to either ride super early in the morning, or at night when there's no line. Or, I single rider during the day with my group.

Of course, this order isn't gospel- It adapts each visit. It's a general guideline that I change depending on what we feel like that day.

While waiting for the Space Mountain and Indy fp's in the morning, I usually knock out the Nemo subs and most of Fantasyland.

Also, in the last year I've started rope dropping Haunted Mansion. I love seeing the ROA waterfront near empty, and I love getting either my own, or near empty stretching room. Also, in the morning the ride feels darker since your eyes haven't adjusted to the night. Especially if you don't have to wait inside the building. Then I hop on over to Splash Mountain before heading back to Fantasyland, Nemo, and Space Mountain.

Oh, and you should never have to wait more than 20 minutes for a ride.

GingerGirl3

We were made of heartier stock back then. Hour long line filling the building on the side of Pirates in middle of summer? Bring it.

So true! Kids these days have no idea...

Maybe that’s what GE is for, to keep them grounded, and demonstrate what happens if there are no consequences or limitations.

RobWDW1971

So true! Kids these days have no idea...

Maybe that’s what GE is for, to keep them grounded, and demonstrate what happens if there are no consequences or limitations.

That may be the best explanation so far - it's a long con, 3D chess, mind game about life that is so deep we haven't yet grasped it . Nicely done!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again you re living in your own bubble on the days you like to go. Try going with a couple on a really busy day who only goes to Disneyland every 5 years and wants to go on everything. When you have to run to RSR first thing because they run out quick. Now you re locked into a 5pm return time at DCA. Next you have to keep your eye on GOTG and/ or Space Mountain because those go next and whatever the return time is so be it. You re first 3 Max Passes of the day are based on the fact that they run out first and not because of any planning on your part to group FPs in one area of the park. Like I said if you are flexible and don’t care about getting on certain rides it’s a different story. MaxPass is perfect for APs who don’t care about getting on everything but also don’t want to burn off corn dogs.

I think what the poster is trying to say is that they aren't zig zagging around just trying to get max number of FPs. Its more like they grab FPs for attractions in the lands they passing through while heading to their destination. For example if you're heading toward HM you see what FPs you can grab along the way, such as Indy, BTM, Splash, and HM itself.

I've done this and it works for the most part, though I never go for just a single day. Yes you end up doing standby for some, but you can still pickup FPs on a regular basis especially since there are a lot of cancellations with MaxPass. Also I tend not to park hop, so no reason for me to race to get RSR FP on the day I'm going to DL.

MaxPass makes it easier for all different types of strategies to be used to gather FPs. You don't have to be a FP warrior is the point I think the poster was trying to make.

George Lucas on a Bench

Kinda crowded today. Not under this tree, however, possibly the nicest I've ever seen in my life.

20190713_164618.jpg

The hot weather has inspired some...provocative ensembles.

20190713_164839.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom