What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

Darkbeer1

Hmm...

Perhaps research indicated that one of the strong reasons for the current soft attendance at DL was that a lot of people were waiting for RotR later in the year (as Disney said) and everyone was feeling like that would be later this summer.

If RotR opened late August at Disneyland, as marni1971 said was the plan at one point, that may have been soon enough for people to put off going to DL until late summer, early fall.

Perhaps now announcing January 17th as the opening date, Disney effectively telling its Anaheim audience, "Stop waiting for RotR! It's not going to open for a good while, so come enjoy summer at the park now!"

But Disney has its Southland Audience taken care off, we just finished a SoCal ticket special in May, the amount of AP holders have reached a plateau. Many So Cal/So Cal Select AP holders have gotten a second AP to Knott's, Universal, SFMM, SeaWorld, Castle Park, and even to places like Boomer's and County Fairs.

In recent years, Disneyland hasn't been for locals in summer, we attend the special events like Halloween, Christmas, Food & Wine, etc. and only go in the summer if family visitors are in town and want to go. And in many cases, we drop them off and wish them fun and tell them to call when they are ready to be picked up.

Last edited:

captveg

Just heard a couple co-workers discussing how they were waiting for the reservation requirement to end for GE at Disneyland. They thought it was reservation only for the entire summer. I was able to correct them, but I imagine this anecdotal experience is one happening all over. People heard "stay away if you don't have a reservation" but didn't see clearly the time frame.

truecoat

This might be a question for @Darkbeer1. How is tourism overall in Cali? Anyone have any stats? I found flights 3 weeks from now very cheap and I’m surprised. Just wondering if tourism is taking a hit everywhere, not just DL.

Darkbeer1

This might be a question for @Darkbeer1. How is tourism overall in Cali? Anyone have any stats? I found flights 3 weeks from now very cheap and I’m surprised. Just wondering if tourism is taking a hit everywhere, not just DL.

Too early to tell, but insiders are not saying great things.

Seems like the San Francisco and Los Angeles Serious Homeless problems are not the best news to have featured on a very regular basis. And the Earthquake didn't help things.

But the Nationwide trend is positive, and the California residents are spending on tourism, some in the state, some out of state.

George Lucas on a Bench

First, we broke the news of the Galaxy Edge memorial in the Haunted Mansion cemetery. Now, here's another exclusive photo showing the dire situation at Disneyland on this summer evening.

james-cameron-titanic-620X400.jpg

SirWillow

I'd love to experience an empty, morning misty, background music playing park...

Sorry, I know I'm weird.

I got to do that several times when I was working at WDW. There were times I would deliberately not take the utilidors down through Magic Kingdom but find a stairway and walk through the park to our base under Main Street just so I could see the park empty. Definitely an odd feeling, but also really pretty in it's own way. Wish I could have taken some photos, but that was a big no-no when the park was closed and third shift was on.

Perhaps research indicated that one of the strong reasons for the current soft attendance at DL was that a lot of people were waiting for RotR later in the year (as Disney said) and everyone was feeling like that would be later this summer.

If RotR opened late August at Disneyland, as marni1971 said was the plan at one point, that may have been soon enough for people to put off going to DL until late summer, early fall.

Perhaps now announcing January 17th as the opening date, Disney effectively telling its Anaheim audience, "Stop waiting for RotR! It's not going to open for a good while, so come enjoy summer at the park now!"

I don't know about locals, but I'm a bit irritated over their announced opening dates, for completely selfish reasons. It means that it won't be open when we're there in October. I'm wondering what the delay is for this time to push it off so far- if it's crowds, technical issues, or suits screwing it up. It's so far past that there's not even a chance of a soft opening for us. :mad:

WDW Pro

I got to do that several times when I was working at WDW. There were times I would deliberately not take the utilidors down through Magic Kingdom but find a stairway and walk through the park to our base under Main Street just so I could see the park empty. Definitely an odd feeling, but also really pretty in it's own way. Wish I could have taken some photos, but that was a big no-no when the park was closed and third shift was on.

I don't know about locals, but I'm a bit irritated over their announced opening dates, for completely selfish reasons. It means that it won't be open when we're there in October. I'm wondering what the delay is for this time to push it off so far- if it's crowds, technical issues, or suits screwing it up. It's so far past that there's not even a chance of a soft opening for us. :mad:

EPCOT early AM watching as morning light hits Spaceship Earth is fantastic. Minus the sounds of Test Track ride vehicles doing their pre-opening checks, it's just a serine and beautiful thing to look at.

TP2000

First day of the Orange County Fair and Disneyland wait times have stayed pretty low. Most E Tickets seem to be 10 or 15 minutes less than they were last week during the holiday week. The panic in TDA over Star Wars Land seems to be warranted at this point.

At 2:30 on a warm sunny day, temp of 81, wait times at Disneyland and DCA. Lots of C and D Tickets, boats and dark rides and spinners, are in the 5 to 10 minute range.

Small World, Little Mermaid, Winnie The Pooh - 5 Minutes (See Now! Ahora!)
Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Autopia, Dumbo - 15 Minutes
Haunted Mansion, Incredicoaster - 20 Minutes
Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Submarines, Peter Pan - 25 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy - 30 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 40 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Grizzly River Run - 60 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 70 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 95 Minutes

Just for fun, here's the current wait times at Card Walker's Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort & Spa out in the swamps.

Pirates, Little Mermaid - 15 Minutes
Small World - 25 Minutes
Dumbo, Winnie The Pooh, Speedway (Autopia) - 45 Minutes
Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear - 60 Minutes
Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise - 70 Minutes (not a typo)
Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain - 75 Minutes
Splash Mountain, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train - 120 Minutes

It's currently humid and 91 in Orlando, with a "real feel" temp of 102. I feel like we should have a moment of silence for those souls currently waiting in a hour+ long Standby lines for Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, etc.

TROR

Looks like my rush to get there while the crowds were still low was completely unwarranted. In my dash, I ended up going on one of the busier days. While still bearable and lower than usual, I envy those who are experiencing these low crowds. At least I didn't have to deal with this terrible heat.

TP2000

Just heard a couple co-workers discussing how they were waiting for the reservation requirement to end for GE at Disneyland. They thought it was reservation only for the entire summer. I was able to correct them, but I imagine this anecdotal experience is one happening all over. People heard "stay away if you don't have a reservation" but didn't see clearly the time frame.

I heard the exact same thing in line at my local Fresh Fare two days ago. Two tony Villa Park housewives talking about what to do with the out of town family visiting next week. Disneyland AP ad was hanging on the checkout counter, and the one housewife pointed at it and exclaimed "We can't take them to Disneyland because you have to have a reservation to get in now because of the Star Wars crowds and Mark refuses to deal with that". The second housewife nodded in agreement and then offered "What about Sea World? We did an airbnb in La Jolla that was fabulous and...."

I just smiled warmly and remained silent, admiring the hand selected artichokes in my cart. :cool:

This is going to take TDA awhile to unwind this messy marketing message they created for themselves.

eddie104

First day of the Orange County Fair and Disneyland wait times have stayed pretty low. Most E Tickets seem to be 10 or 15 minutes less than they were last week during the holiday week. The panic in TDA over Star Wars Land seems to be warranted at this point.

At 2:30 on a warm sunny day, temp of 81, wait times at Disneyland and DCA. Lots of C and D Tickets, boats and dark rides and spinners, are in the 5 to 10 minute range.

Small World, Little Mermaid, Winnie The Pooh - 5 Minutes (See Now! Ahora!)
Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Autopia, Dumbo - 15 Minutes
Haunted Mansion, Incredicoaster - 20 Minutes
Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Submarines, Peter Pan - 25 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy - 30 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 40 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Grizzly River Run - 60 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 70 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 95 Minutes

Just for fun, here's the current wait times at Card Walker's Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort & Spa out in the swamps.

Pirates, Little Mermaid - 15 Minutes
Small World - 25 Minutes
Dumbo, Winnie The Pooh, Speedway (Autopia) - 45 Minutes
Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear - 60 Minutes
Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise - 70 Minutes (not a typo)
Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain - 75 Minutes
Splash Mountain, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train - 120 Minutes

It's currently humid and 91 in Orlando, with a "real feel" temp of 102. I feel like we should have a moment of silence for those souls currently waiting in a hour+ long Standby lines for Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, etc.
Actually it’s 88 degrees in Orlando and 62 percent humidity so I don’t where you are getting your information from.

TP2000

I’m just saying post accurate info if your trying to spin a narrative ;)

Sweetie, honey, my precious... I typed that in just before 2:30pm, as I checked wait times and then fiddled with the lemonade I made earlier and am chilling in the fridge. By 2:56 the weather.com website had updated itself as the evening temps drop in Orlando, which is where you dropped from 91 to 87.

Actually it’s 88 degrees in Orlando and 62 percent humidity so I don’t where you are getting your information from.

You actually tried to say that it was 88 degrees, which is not accurate as it is currently 87 in Orlando by the time I could reply a few minutes later. If you are trying to spin a narrative, you need to keep up. ;)

eddie104

Sweetie, honey, my precious... I typed that in just before 2:30pm, as I checked wait times and then fiddled with the lemonade I made earlier and am chilling in the fridge. By 2:56 the weather.com website had updated itself as the evening temps drop in Orlando, which is where you dropped from 91 to 87.

You actually tried to say that it was 88 degrees, which is not accurate as it is currently 87 by the time I could reply a few minutes later. If you are trying to spin a narrative, you need to keep up. ;)
I’ve moved on from this but I guess someone had to have the last word. 🤣

TP2000

I’ve moved on from this but I guess someone had to have the last word. 🤣

No, I can't move on as this is my new passion. Plus, this conversation is only 28 minutes old, and I like to chat.

I have just now converted my kitchen counter into Weather Central 2000, and I have a huge update! There has been a discrepancy spotted in the data streams, as there is a notable difference in temps and humidity if you receive the "Orlando" info from the station at Orlando International Airport versus the info from downtown Orlando.

Orlando International Airport is currently 90 degrees at 6:05pm, but temps are up to two degrees cooler if you move west of town a bit.

For accuracy the Weather Central 2000 staff will be using the official National Weather Service station in downtown Orlando. It's a bit cooler there, currently gone back up to 88 from 87. Rain showers moving in about 35 minutes from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom