What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

Curious Constance

I guess what they meant when they said they want guest satisfaction to be their top priority when they raised AP prices and blocked them all out is “we want everyone to pay full price to see SW land. Even if they already have an AP.

fctiger

Well looks like things are getting back to normal. Park looks as busy as ever today with Soarin at one point 120 minutes although its now down to 30 minutes. SM is currently 75 minutes, SR 65 minutes (but it was up to 90 an hour ago), RSR 80 mins and so on. But its still not TOO bad, it just what you would expect in a typical day in the summer. But we are on our way there in an hour and our dream of 10-15 min waits on everything have been crushed lol. But as said, still not too bad. Still tons of FPs for everything and no times past the afternoon yet, the non thrill stuff like POTC, HM and most FL rides are averaging about 20 mins and under (for now) and it looks like GE will be open for everyone the rest of the day. And I also suspect after the fireworks and first F! show, its going to pretty easy to do a lot of things at night, especially on a Sunday.

But my guess is DLR will only get busier in the coming weeks with the new AP deal, word hitting that the park is not as soul crushing as so many thought it would be and July just being a big tourist month.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Seems like typical weekend crowds. I will say that having gone yesterday afternoon/evening, crowds were not bad at all. Galaxy Edge was slightly more crowded than last week (actual people vs. no one), but there were still surprisingly few people in the esplanade and at the entry turnstiles when I arrived, a leisurely walk through the park and a 25 minute wait for Smuggler's Run which was posted at 65. I highly doubt I managed to just avoid all the crowds as I don't have that kind of luck. It was fairly slow.

Last edited:

SirWillow

And if we’re trading quips your response makes you look like a yellow ID cm in denial.

...respectfully 😉

Ahhh, sorry about that. I meant that to come across as a lot more humorous and friendly than it did. Sounded much more snarky than I intended it to.

I was intending to say that right now Star Wars is one of those things that it's cool to hate on because it's popular, and many of those that are openly complaining are doing it for the status. Kind of like some did when Michael Jackson was breaking sales records with his albums. (And people were doing with the Captain Marvel movie and the Potter "elites" are doing with that series as well) Doesn't mean that you are one of those, but just what it sounds like

(and for the record, mine was red, and it was last valid 8 years ago, so doesn't apply anymore. lol)

Great. Let TDA know please. They currently think otherwise.

That's not a good thing if TDA is worried, but I still stand by my reasons and think that it's really not anything to worry about. As nesboy43 says:

Disneyland has three issues with the land as many may have pointed out.

1) Star Wars brand post Disney movies
2) Ticket prices are expensive, yet passes are cheap, this pushes away vacationers and non die-hards who just want to visit the park one time
3) Everyone was worried about overcrowding since this was announced

I think number 2 is the biggest issue.

I disagree on # 1, but I do agree on #2 & 3 being an issue- especially when summer is much more expensive than other times of the years. Summer has been slower than what we would think of as off season the last couple of years from what I've heard anyways. But I also think that with all of the publicity and talk of reservations and crowds that they scared people away as much as they drummed up excitement. Wait until the word gets out and then watch the crowds come up.

Well looks like things are getting back to normal. Park looks as busy as ever today with Soarin at one point ...

But my guess is DLR will only get busier in the coming weeks with the new AP deal, word hitting that the park is not as soul crushing as so many thought it would be and July just being a big tourist month.

This is honestly what I'm expecting.

And it actually has me in a bit of fear and trepidation for our visit in early October. Booked with the intent to try to avoid the crowds, I'm actually starting to get concerned that it's going to end up with the exact opposite effect- that everyone else trying to avoid the crowds is going to end up there around the same time. We're already planning on losing the Saturday due to overlapping with gay days and the crowd I'm anticipating will show up for that (NOT an issue with the day, it's just trying to avoid the crowds of people), we'll see how the weekdays turn out for us.

JD2000

With crowd patterns different now then years past, the line between abnormal and what is normal for summer (or any time) has blurred. You never know, this could be intentional to keep tourists happy, thus spending more and wanting to come back.

Touchdown

October should be ok, during the week, weekends in October-Dec have been the busiest the parks get for sometime. Just make sure you rope drop and know that 3-6 pm you should probably only see high capacity shows or rides (or stack some fastpasses) or just retire to your hotel for a break.

lumberguy5

I think Sept weekends are going to be a nightmare once the APs return in force. Hopefully MSEP's popularity has been tempered, it was getting out of hand when the schedules had to include do not reserve spots until after the ropes are setup. Seeing people on main street 3-4 hrs before the show was ridiculous.

George Lucas on a Bench

With crowd patterns different now then years past, the line between abnormal and what is normal for summer (or any time) has blurred. You never know, this could be intentional to keep tourists happy, thus spending more and wanting to come back.

I could be wrong because I don't monitor crowds or go every day. That being said, having gone regularly in the 2010s until late '17, sporadically in '18 and more frequently in '19, summer is traditionally slower between AP blackout and nearly all of the rest of the year is busy.

A "normal" day at Disneyland is busy, busy, busy as that mustachioed badguy said in Frosty. June and July are the only "slower" times and the occasional days of record-breaking heat or torrential downpours where a lot of people don't show up. I've still never seen it as slow as the last couple weeks. Canoe guys begging for people to come on the ride, an entire men's room to yourself, a brand new Titanic-sized Star Wars land with hardly anyone in it. It's been spooky.

George Lucas on a Bench

Screenshot_2019-06-30-14-39-07.pngScreenshot_2019-06-30-14-39-23.pngScreenshot_2019-06-30-14-39-30.png

Once again, only Space Mountain and Cars seem to be demanding lines. Looks like a great day to go.

Curious Constance

I really don’t appreciate inflating wait times on purpose. People use them to determine if they should shell out extra money for MaxPass or not. Inflating to appear more busy is really shady.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disneyland has three issues with the land as many may have pointed out.

1) Star Wars brand post Disney movies
2) Ticket prices are expensive, yet passes are cheap, this pushes away vacationers and non die-hards who just want to visit the park one time
3) Everyone was worried about overcrowding since this was announced

I think number 2 is the biggest issue. People don’t want to stop by the DLR resort for a trip or make annual trips there anymore, they focused so much on discounted bulk admission for their die-hards while raising prices dramatically for the general public.

Who is going to pay $159 for a single day at DL and DCA? Or $110 for a one day Disneyland Ticket?

Case and point, my family used to go to Disneyland annually. Now that we are all moved out, me and my SO are the only ones that go to the park and its only cause we are huge themepark fans and have APs. It is so astronomically expensive for a one day ticket that even though my family can afford it, they’d rather spend their money elsewhere because the value is not there.

How is it fair that I paid $600 for a Flex Pass and can (at least so far) go on any weekend and holiday I want for a year and I get discounts, while a one time visitor pays $160 for one ticket?

Disneyland is a local area park, but it does not need APs and never did. It’s a bad business model that Disney started following. Disney needs to stop focussing on their brand loyalists and needs to focus on attracting new fans instead.

Disney needs to raise AP prices and lower ticket prices. Plain and simple.
I think this hits the nail on the head. The price jump that took place in Jan was one of the steepest they ever did. I think we may have found the ceiling that the market can currently bear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom