What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I can see this being efficient with Galaxy's Edge for the time being. But it scares me at the same time.. when will the virtual queue program end? How will this carry over to other aspects for the parks?

Not entirely sure how they could implement it for attractions themselves, with Fastpass and Maxpass already being a thing.
I think as long as the land is in a virtual queue system the rides will not have Fastpass. Sadly, I do expect Disneyland to be more crowded for the same reason normal Fastpass makes it crowded because people waiting to get into GE will be milling about DL. At the same time, mornings at DL might be nice if a lot of people are heading straight to GE, at least for the first several months. They may not need to start the virtual queue until late morning or early afternoon.

I think the system will last as long as Disney thinks enough people have seen the land and crowds won't be as bad. They want to make sure people have an enjoyable experience when they first visit the land. I expect at least a year minimum, maybe longer since RotR is delayed. Hard to say.

Janir

I think as long as the land is in a virtual queue system the rides will not have Fastpass. Sadly, I do expect Disneyland to be more crowded for the same reason normal Fastpass makes it crowded because people waiting to get into GE will be milling about DL. At the same time, mornings at DL might be nice if a lot of people are heading straight to GE, at least for the first several months. They may not need to start the virtual queue until late morning or early afternoon.

I think the system will last as long as Disney thinks enough people have seen the land and crowds won't be as bad. They want to make sure people have an enjoyable experience when they first visit the land. I expect at least a year minimum, maybe longer since RotR is delayed. Hard to say.
I agree with you. Unless they have some way to filter people OUT of the land after 4 hours entering or something people will linger. I remember UNI Hogsmead first opening years ago and they used a ticket queue system, and people were just hanging out as they couldn't come back later. Over packed Hogsmead the entire time. Now they could with the 'boarding time' issues wrist bands for s 4 hour block or something so the cast members can tell who has been in past 4 hours. In WDW a magic band scan can take care of most of that.

I do hope they figure this part of the problem out. The whole land experience really hinges on being able to NOT be elbow to elbow crowding.

mickEblu

I don’t understand why they don’t just keep the 4 hour intervals / wristbands when the switch over to the virtual queue?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t understand why they don’t just keep the 4 hour intervals / wristbands when the switch over to the virtual queue?
Because while good during the initial rush (that never really came), most guests don't want to be limited in how long they can spend in an area. When it opens up fully you're going to see APs and certain bloggers attempt to stay in Galaxy's Edge all day.

vancee

Was there this Saturday and Sunday. Almost all of the rides in Disneyland at least were a walk on. Some rides in DCA were quite busy, but that's probably because deluxe is blocked out of Disneyland.

It honestly seems like this new Flex Pass is a steal, considering how cheap it is. Literally, as of right now, you can go into either park whenever you want. Haven't came across a day that wasn't filled up yet, could even reserve the day we wanted to go on that day. I'm thinking about downgrading from Signature to Flex Pass (I think I will lose the grandfathered Photopass though). Going to wait and see until August how everything plays out. Had a friend that had the Deluxe pass and another with the new Flex Pass, the Deluxe could not go into Disneyland meanwhile the Flex Pass could. Kind dumb that they don't let you downgrade either, even if you already paid for the Deluxe in full.

truecoat

Was there this Saturday and Sunday. Almost all of the rides in Disneyland at least were a walk on. Some rides in DCA were quite busy, but that's probably because deluxe is blocked out of Disneyland.

It honestly seems like this new Flex Pass is a steal, considering how cheap it is. Literally, as of right now, you can go into either park whenever you want. Haven't came across a day that wasn't filled up yet, could even reserve the day we wanted to go on that day. I'm thinking about downgrading from Signature to Flex Pass (I think I will lose the grandfathered Photopass though). Going to wait and see until August how everything plays out. Had a friend that had the Deluxe pass and another with the new Flex Pass, the Deluxe could not go into Disneyland meanwhile the Flex Pass could. Kind dumb that they don't let you downgrade either, even if you already paid for the Deluxe in full.

As more people transition to the flex pass, those days will start to fill up.

mickEblu

Because while good during the initial rush (that never really came), most guests don't want to be limited in how long they can spend in an area. When it opens up fully you're going to see APs and certain bloggers attempt to stay in Galaxy's Edge all day.

Well I would rather have less time in more enjoyable conditions. You don’t need more than 4 hours anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You don’t need more than 4 hours anyway.
Says who? Maybe you don’t want to spend more than 4 hours, but maybe others do. I know I’d like to explore the land and take in everything with no time limit. If I happen to leave at the 4 hour mark, so be it. But I want the ability to enjoy the new land for as long as I want. As I’m sure other guests do as well.

BubbaQuest

Thank you, that was a helpful description at themeparkinsider.

It sounds like it will be fine in the morning, but then get messy by early afternoon.

I'm envisioning a mad rush in the morning to get into the virtual queue similar to the early days of Radiators Springs Fastpasses. I'm not sure what chance you will have to get into the land if you don't get in the virtual queue by 8am. Also, once in the land are you stuck there until your Catina or lightsaber reservation is ready?

mickEblu

Says who? Maybe you don’t want to spend more than 4 hours, but maybe others do. I know I’d like to explore the land and take in everything with no time limit. If I happen to leave at the 4 hour mark, so be it. But I want the ability to enjoy the new land for as long as I want. As I’m sure other guests do as well.

So Says I, mickEblu

shambolicdefending

Disneyland's acreage isn't getting any bigger, a third gate isn't conceivable for another generation or two, and crowds keep growing (both in physical size and number).

Somewhere out there is the breaking point where the crowds start to hurt the average guest experience more than they help revenue. Between the Flex Pass, SWGE reservations, and virtual queues, seems like there are a lot of new ideas that I assume will become a bigger part of operations in the years to come in an attempt to push that point out a little further.

We're just witnessing the beginnings.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Call me crazy, but if you need more than 4 hours to go on 2 rides, grab some food and a toy from one section of the park, then Disney clearly made a mistake not making it a third gate.
I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone telling me how much time I can spend in one area of the park. I get and agree with why they did it for the first couple weeks. But when the full land is opened someone should be able to spend as much time as they want in the land, or anywhere else in the park. They paid for the experience, so let them enjoy it for however long they want to stay in the land even if that is from opening to closing.

As for the third gate, well that ain't happening for many reasons for a long time if ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom