What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

George Lucas on a Bench

I just got off Star Wars Space Mountain. This is one janky overlay. I think that's why I kinda like it. It's so poorly done from the moment you turn into a bare industrial-looking room lit by a blue light with the Star Wars main title being piped in on the muzak. It would be right at home in the 1998 Tomorrowland, which saw the introduction of such a classic as Rocket Rods.

I'm now in a literal line for the train from Tomorrowland admiring the Rocket Rods trackway. I wish the app told you where trains were at all times.

JD2000

Devil’s advocate here, yet again.

Just checked TouringPlans and wait times lean slightly higher than expected (i.e. normal these days).

Nothing to see here. Move along.

:p

Touchdown

Walk ons to Pirates and Mansion normal?
25 min for Indy and Peter Pan?

Maybe the 60 min for Space and 45 min for Matterhorn are normal but the “left” side of the park is dead at 5pm on a Friday in June.

George Lucas on a Bench

Disneyland was very empty around noontime. Literally no one at the turnstiles. I've never seen it so empty on Main Street. I felt like something was very wrong. I walked into the bathroom next to the firehouse to relieve myself and I was the only one in there the entire time I emptied my bladder of excess coffee and Diet Coke. Who has their own personal bathroom free of awkwardness in the middle of the day on Main Street?

planodisney

This is shaping up to be a disaster for DLR.
DHS version of GE will open and the park will be a chaotic mess, setting record attendance numbers. Disney will wash their hands of major investment in Anaheim.
This is my fear!!
The Disney corporation isn’t in the business of supporting a local park and adding attractions that don’t expand their brand but make local Disney loyalists happy.
If they keep failing to expand DLR into a bigger destination draw, they will eventually give up.
This has nothing to due with Star Wars or GE, or the quality of the park, this has everything to do with the market they are in.
I don’t get it.

BubbaQuest

Self-proclaimed Disney employee on MC says no-show rate for SWGE reservations is north of 30% per window. And merch sales aren't hitting targets...

I wouldn't be surprised with high no-show rates. With the "everyone has to be there" requirement, I'm not sure how many people would delay entering the land if someone was running late :).

Would be interesting to get some more data about sales. Are sales low because they aren't letting enough people into the land or because people aren't interested? Of the few reviews I've read, it seems like at least a few skipped the shops because of the lines.

JD2000

Was I dreaming when I checked this morning? They recorded straight 1s at Disneyland this whole past week.
Yes, as there was not just ones recorded. But I am now convinced. Disneyland is less crowded than normal. But this is a good thing for guests. I sure don't want to see the flood gates opened.

Touchdown

It’s the perfect storm:
-APs are nearly blocked out so no locals
-Tourists don’t want to come during the reservation period and only get in once if at all
-It’s still too early and most kids are still in school
-The headline ride isn’t open
-WDW is opening theirs in less then 3 months

Let’s see what happens as the summer rolls on. Also, don’t forget, this is a massive expansion in area with new attractions spreading people more out.

TP2000

It’s the perfect storm:
-APs are nearly blocked out so no locals
-Tourists don’t want to come during the reservation period and only get in once if at all
-It’s still too early and most kids are still in school
-The headline ride isn’t open
-WDW is opening theirs in less then 3 months

Let’s see what happens as the summer rolls on. Also, don’t forget, this is a massive expansion in area with new attractions spreading people more out.

Agreed. I have no doubt the crowds and wait times will pick up as the summer really gets going in late June. And by this Thanksgiving when the Resistance ride opens (hopefully), the place will be mobbed.

This is all about this never-been-tried-before reservation system. TDA over-reacted to their crowding problem and created a bigger problem; no crowding.

But for those of us who don't work in a TDA cubicle farm and aren't depending on Disney's stock price for retirement, it's really quite funny to watch play out and watch them scramble to respond.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is shaping up to be a disaster for DLR.
DHS version of GE will open and the park will be a chaotic mess, setting record attendance numbers. Disney will wash their hands of major investment in Anaheim.
This is my fear!!
The Disney corporation isn’t in the business of supporting a local park and adding attractions that don’t expand their brand but make local Disney loyalists happy.
If they keep failing to expand DLR into a bigger destination draw, they will eventually give up.
This has nothing to due with Star Wars or GE, or the quality of the park, this has everything to do with the market they are in.
I don’t get it.
It’s WAAAAAYYYY too early to raise alarm bells of fear of no future investments into DLR. There are already projects in the works at both DL and DCA. So let’s just wait and see what happens in the next couple of years before raising any alarm bells.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom