What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s great to hear. It makes a lot of sense to work on certain projects while the parks are closed. Many can be accomplished much quicker and can cost significantly less.
They honestly should have never stopped. It’s easier to regulate where covid could go in construction with slight modifications than it ever will be at food businesses or retail.

These aren’t “touchy” environments and people are territorial/like their space and personal equipment as is...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Speaking of, I wanted to ask if you think World Showcase would potentially re-open without CMs from their respective countries, given the potential travel limitations that may continue for some time? Or would this just be another reason to delay EPCOT’s re-opening?
There are concerns there wouldn’t be enough staff to open all of Showcase.

Rosso11

They only stopped to save money.
But that’s the thing. Certain projects would be cheaper if they didn’t stop. This Epcot spine project is a logistical nightmare for a construction company while the park is open. That drives the cost and time up a lot. Even a project like painting the castle can be done much quicker and cheaper with no guests around. I completely get why they halted everything at the time. The unknowns were simply too great. But now that they have a much better handle on what’s going on they should be more strategic and restart certain projects now that make financial and logistical sense.

Tavernacle12

There are concerns there wouldn’t be enough staff to open all of Showcase.

I’d imagine they’d try to have at least Mexico and Norway open (maybe China, Canada, UK, and France too due to the new films). Assuming Epcot opens with the rest of the park and those rides/films are safe to operate during the pandemic. Those two are what were open early at Epcot in the Before Times.

Jrb1979

But that’s the thing. Certain projects would be cheaper if they didn’t stop. This Epcot spine project is a logistical nightmare for a construction company while the park is open. That drives the cost and time up a lot. Even a project like painting the castle can be done much quicker and cheaper with no guests around. I completely get why they halted everything at the time. The unknowns were simply too great. But now that they have a much better handle on what’s going on they should be more strategic and restart certain projects now that make financial and logistical sense.
Its also why it makes sense not to open Epcot for awhile. They probably want to spend as little money right now while the parks are closed

UNCgolf

I mean, they don’t have to open ALL of each pavilion in WS. Some can largely just be outdoor walking tours. I can’t say I would suffer all that much if all of the Morocco shops and restaurants were locked.

I think Morocco would definitely be a lesser experience if all the shops were closed, because those back streets are like a mini bazaar rather than a few discrete stores you enter and exit like in most of the other pavilions. It would feel strangely empty without them.

Being able to walk around would be better than being closed altogether, of course.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I think Morocco would definitely be a lesser experience if all the shops were closed, because those back streets are like a mini bazaar rather than a few discrete stores you enter and exit like in most of the other pavilions. It would feel strangely empty without them.

Being able to walk around would be better than being closed altogether, of course.
Me, I can't imagine walking by Japan, without going into Mitsukoshi...

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

When Dinoland gets replaced by Zootopia

DC85039F-4CD8-4F64-BD8D-8A17741A0E5F.jpeg

sbunit

Does anyone have any new/updated information on where things stand in terms of project timelines?
Is Space 2020 still anticipated to open in 2020? Same with Rat (I'm assuming it is)? New Epcot Fireworks show?
How about the timelines on Tron and GOTG? Are they going to have their anticipated opening dates pushed back?

If you thought planning for a Disney World Vacation was hard before......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom