What's Still On and What's Now Off

ImperfectPixie

Must be a local thing and I feel for your step sister. However my wife and I are executives at a top 5 hospital in the nation and have daily meetings and videos chats with heads of hospitals and the CDC regarding all things Covid-19. The situation you've described is polar opposite to 90% of the country. Where Dr's and nurses are getting laid off due to no work. There are specific at risk groups that, through science and data, have identified and everyone knows what they are. And we need to be smart how we go forward to preserve their safety, but it's time.
Oh, I definitely think we need to start opening up again, but Joe General Public is in WAY too much of a hurry for things to return to normal (no social distancing or face covering)...and the silence from those in charge in regards to how long pandemics really last is BAD. The longer they don't say anything about it, the angrier people are going to be when they find out/realize the truth. We created that temporary hospital so that as we open back up again, we're equipped to handle all the other usual hospital business that goes along with regular life alongside of COVID-19.

ImperfectPixie

I just want to say that it’s going to feel like what we are doing as a society is “excessive” or feel like overreaction until it’s not. Staying home at least eliminates a huge portion of the problem: spreading it.

We can go back and forth on this. But I stand by my statement of wanting people safe and out of harm’s way.
I think the Feds are being too "one size fits all" because that's the fastest way to deal with things. My worry is for high-risk people still in the workforce, and parents who are now caught between caring for children or working...both those segments of the population are going to be caught between a rock and a hard place as things re-open and people are called back to work.

natatomic

Serious question for people who know more than me about diseases: is it better to stay in and protect yourself from any exposure at all, or is it better to be going out in little bits to potentially expose yourself here and there? Assuming you’re not high-risk, of course. But, like, do you need a certain number of particles from the disease before it can potentially make you sick? I mean, would a single germ cell have the same ability to sicken you as much as hundreds more? And if not, does your body then start building up a resistance to the virus from the small exposure so that if you’re ever exposed to a larger amount, you have a better chance of fighting it off with less symptoms? Obviously, it’s not a fool-proof idea since you can never tell if you’re even being exposed at any given moment, nor can you tell how much you’re being exposed to. I’m not suggesting ANYONE try this, I’m just genuinely curious if, in theory, small amounts of exposure over time give one a better chance of fighting off the virus if they’re later exposed to, like, a full on cough to the face from a carrier.

robhedin

I don't think Atlanta is going to be that helpful over the next two weeks because huge numbers of restaurants have chosen not to reopen for now. I live in Atlanta and almost everything around me is continuing with takeout only. Plenty of offices etc. are also still working remotely (like mine).
Perhaps. A lot are opening, however- Outback, Carrabba’s, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster, Applebee’s, Huey Luey’s, Buffalo’s, some Ippolito’s, Del Frisco Double Eagle Steakhouse, Del Frisco Grille, Joe’s Crab Shack, Morton's The Steakhouse, McCormick & Schmick’s and The Oceanaire Seafood Room and that’s just the number of reasonably we’ll known local chains. A lot of mom & pop places have also opened or are opening soon.

i suspect there’s enough open to make an impact.

lazyboy97o

Serious question for people who know more than me about diseases: is it better to stay in and protect yourself from any exposure at all, or is it better to be going out in little bits to potentially expose yourself here and there? Assuming you’re not high-risk, of course. But, like, do you need a certain number of particles from the disease before it can potentially make you sick? I mean, would a single germ cell have the same ability to sicken you as much as hundreds more? And if not, does your body then start building up a resistance to the virus from the small exposure so that if you’re ever exposed to a larger amount, you have a better chance of fighting it off with less symptoms? Obviously, it’s not a fool-proof idea since you can never tell if you’re even being exposed at any given moment, nor can you tell how much you’re being exposed to. I’m not suggesting ANYONE try this, I’m just genuinely curious if, in theory, small amounts of exposure over time give one a better chance of fighting off the virus if they’re later exposed to, like, a full on cough to the face from a carrier.
In a way, what you are describing is variolation and vaccination. The whole idea behind a vaccine is that you get just enough of a weakened or inactive virus to prompt the appropriate immune system response but this varies with each virus. The problem right now is we don’t know anything. We don’t know at what point someone starts to get symptoms or when it becomes serious. We don’t know much people are shedding and when.

Texas84

Perhaps. A lot are opening, however- Outback, Carrabba’s, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster, Applebee’s, Huey Luey’s, Buffalo’s, some Ippolito’s, Del Frisco Double Eagle Steakhouse, Del Frisco Grille, Joe’s Crab Shack, Morton's The Steakhouse, McCormick & Schmick’s and The Oceanaire Seafood Room and that’s just the number of reasonably we’ll known local chains. A lot of mom & pop places have also opened or are opening soon.

i suspect there’s enough open to make an impact.
Yep. My town has started with outdoor patios and they're slammed. I've been able to see inside others that have removed tables to increase spacing when they open.

natatomic

Lol...what's right?

Amish? I think I’ve seen one Amish family there before. I’ve seen (relatively) lots of Mennonites, but I know they’re a bit more liberal with technology, although I don’t know if they’re more in the dumb phone camp or the smart phone camp.

Edit: OH! And those Buddhist monks in the orange toga things that come all the time! But they have guides with them that might have phones. Anyway, I really have no idea, but I wouldn’t assume it’s 100% smart phone users. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Peter Pan's Shadow

Amish? I think I’ve seen one Amish family there before. I’ve seen (relatively) lots of Mennonites, but I know they’re a bit more liberal with technology, although I don’t know if they’re more in the dumb phone camp or the smart phone camp.

Edit: OH! And those Buddhist monks in the orange toga things that come all the time! But they have guides with them that might have phones. Anyway, I really have no idea, but I wouldn’t assume it’s 100% smart phone users. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Hah, I was waiting for more after "still wrong". Guess it stood on its own. Wasn't exactly sure what was wrong about but, but it's crystal clear now. Yeah what kind of satanic cult wouldn't bring a phone? Thx.

ImperfectPixie

Didn’t someone literally post numbers on here showing that a large majority of Americans have cell phones?

I guarantee you, you can walk up to just about any family/party under boomer age and someone will have a phone.
And haven't people been offering up several reasons as to why a family wouldn't have a smart phone with them? You've just been denying because that would mean you're incorrect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom