What's Still On and What's Now Off

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
How long was Test Track delayed?
Two years, more or less.
Ah yes. I can still remember January of 99 waiting in a posted 45 minute line for 2 hours for the as-yet-still-officially-unopened ride as it broke down repeatedly. They announced every breakdown to the line in case people wanted to leave. It then broke down with us in the car during the testing portion and I can remember my dad and I trying to figure out if it was part of the ride or not (it wasn’t).

I think it was another 2 months before they decided it was working well enough to officially open (it wasn’t).

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Ah yes. I can still remember January of 99 waiting in a posted 45 minute line for 2 hours for the as-yet-still-officially-unopened ride as it broke down repeatedly. They announced every breakdown to the line in case people wanted to leave. It then broke down with us in the car during the testing portion and I can remember my dad and I trying to figure out if it was part of the ride or not (it wasn’t).

I think it was another 2 months before they decided it was working well enough to officially open (it wasn’t).
If Space 220 wants to recreate working as well as Test Track did when they forced it open, then every 90 minutes or so the kitchen staff would take a 45 minute smoke break, and every 7 smoke breaks the power would go out.

JoeCamel

There is currently a project to expand it again. I think it will likely continue when the shut down ends.
I thought they already built the new outer lots by the speedway and are in the process of removing and filling the tree island to create more?
The outer lots were done post 2016 and I thought they added a lot of capacity.

peter11435

I thought they already built the new outer lots by the speedway and are in the process of removing and filling the tree island to create more?
The outer lots were done post 2016 and I thought they added a lot of capacity.
Correct the outer lots were expanded a couple years ago. Removing and filling the “tree island” to create more parking is the current project.

DoleWhipDrea

Disney has to be smart about this or they’ll be held responsible for deaths linked to parks exposure. Surely you understand this? They can’t just arbitrarily decide to open things backup in a couple of weeks when the local government orders everything to remain closed while stating that the situation needs to be monitored based on scientific recommendations.

Disney will always put safety of their guests first. That’s how any reputable theme park operates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alison Fletcher

It's genuinely hard to imagine most of the EPCOT overhaul being "abandoned". Disney recognizes that the park isn't in great shape to the point that the entire front half is being overhauled...so they'd just leave it like that indefinitely? Might as well not reopen the park.
Wouldn’t it be weird if they closed off the “Future World” area of EPCOT entirely and used the back entrance into World Showcase so that they could keep going with festivals and try to draw money back in that way? They would need a lot less workers to run half the park. They would have to funnel resort guests through other resorts to get there I guess, best desperate times call for desperate measures...

tirian

yes they do need another restaurant. Epcot restaurants are full all the time and Guests complain quite a bit about not being able to get in at Guest Relations.
Especially during the 3 days a year there's no festival going on. :p

Fun off-topic fact: Back when Disney was testing the DDP expansions and free dining promos, they asked front-line CMs and leaders for feedback. It was almost unanimous: Don’t do it, it’s too crowded, we’re losing too much money because guests order the most expensive items, the infrastructure can’t support the reservation demand. Disney’s response: forge ahead anyway, raise menu and DDP prices to compensate, build new restaurants and therefore operating costs, farm out restaurants to third parties when possible. And today you need to decide what you want to eat, plus when you’ll be hungry, about half a year in advance.

This is from the company that hoodwinks other corps to pay for “Disney Institute” classes that teach service standards Disney itself no longer follows.:rolleyes:

Back to the regularly scheduled conversation, lol.

aladdin2007

Fun off-topic fact: Back when Disney was testing the DDP expansions and free dining promos, they asked front-line CMs and leaders for feedback. It was almost unanimous: Don’t do it, it’s too crowded, we’re losing too much money because guests order the most expensive items, the infrastructure can’t support the reservation demand. Disney’s response: forge ahead anyway, raise menu and DDP prices to compensate, build new restaurants and therefore operating costs, farm out restaurants to third parties when possible. And today you need to decide what you want to eat, plus when you’ll be hungry, about half a year in advance.

This is from the company that hoodwinks other corps to pay for “Disney Institute” classes that teach service standards Disney itself no longer follows.:rolleyes:

Back to the regularly scheduled conversation, lol.

excellent post, that DDP ruined so many amazing locations.

tirian

And we know why the popular ones are “full”...

Edit. I see the DDP has been mentioned already.
Sadly, my years with the company and NG initiative taught me how executives tend to decide pet projects in advance, and then “test” those projects to force those plans into reality, even if they’re not good for the company or guests. We all know how the NG initiative turned out.

It’s constantly two steps forward, one back—and this virus and its resulting financial crisis are underscoring that large companies should make plans for long-term successes, not short-term Wall Street earnings reviews. The nonstop events and festivals, combined with price hikes and operating cuts, made WDW a cash cow that depended on constant crowds. Disney eliminated slow seasons because it couldn’t afford to have slow seasons: the parks effectively finance most of the company.

Now there’s no other major stream of revenue; and since ticket sales barely cover operating costs, the parks need to reopen and sell hotel rooms, food, and merch to turn a profit.

@marni1971 Do you think this will save SSE from storybook desecration? I’ve been too busy to keep up with the boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom