What's Still On and What's Now Off

Cmdr_Crimson

I think the Moana water thingy will get scrapped and make it grassy spots now for the time being...

And does it seem weird that the lobby roof of the Galactic cruiser looks like a Coffin?
From blogmickey
galactic-starcruiser-star-wars-hotel-construction-aerial-nov-2019-7.jpg

doctornick

I just don't see how they can leave it to suffer the fate of the Pop Century/AoA. Same thing with the DVC. I think it's a misunderstanding of the word abandonment.

I actually think AoA is a good comp for the Star Wars hotel and Reflections. Particularly, the latter - if they expect DVC sales to crash and take a while to rebound (which seems like a reasonable prediction) then holding off on Reflections in order to sell Riviera and any other foreclosed contracts they get would make sense. Still, that strikes me as "postponed" not "abandoned"

The Star Wars hotel seems like something they could postpone in order to roll out in a solid economic environment. I feel like it would eventually happen though or at least be build and used as a standard hotel with a SW theme but without the role play bells and whistles.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Regarding AOA/POP, there were probably other issues no known to the public. I was on a hotel project that didn’t have have the correct fire protection for deaf/blind, and it delayed the opening six months before it opened. I wouldnt be surprised if the economy at the time, and contractor issues, rendered the building unable to acquire a certificate of occupancy.

Construction, even at disney, is a collection of a bunch of humans attempting to make everything work as designed...that never happens.
It just seems very unlikely that such long term projects such as SSE, SW Hotel, New DVC, Hub rehab, Play pavilion would be summarily "abandoned" so quickly given their current state of progress. If the OP simply said delayed it would lend a lot more credibility. I know Disney execs panic at the first sign of trouble, but the doom and gloom of this "insider information" seems to out there even for Disney.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Waiting for an official statement from Disney. Not only (possible) re-opening date, but also under which new circumstances WDW parks, resorts, etc. would operate. People with already planned trips, need to know these things asap in order to make decisions and organize.

We haven't canceled our early May trip just yet, but we might, if for one, EPCOT remains closed by then. I'm sure many are in a similar situation.

I'm well aware that given the difficult times the whole world is facing, this subject isn't as important. My comments here, pertain to this specific subject/thread.

Don't forget, we're on a Disney forum. It's perfectly okay to talk about all things Disney. In some ways, it's a way to escape from all the craziness around us. I enjoy diverting from Coronavirus chat to focus in on Disney.

Animaniac93-98

It's genuinely hard to imagine most of the EPCOT overhaul being "abandoned". Disney recognizes that the park isn't in great shape to the point that the entire front half is being overhauled...so they'd just leave it like that indefinitely? Might as well not reopen the park.

Finish the front. Landscape the 1/4 of Innoventions that's been taken down. Reopen WoL as event space. Finish roof of Energy.

Not that much needed to make it presentable.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I actually think AoA is a good comp for the Star Wars hotel and Reflections. Particularly, the latter - if they expect DVC sales to crash and take a while to rebound (which seems like a reasonable prediction) then holding off on Reflections in order to sell Riviera and any other foreclosed contracts they get would make sense. Still, that strikes me as "postponed" not "abandoned"

The Star Wars hotel seems like something they could postpone in order to roll out in a solid economic environment. I feel like it would eventually happen though or at least be build and used as a standard hotel with a SW theme but without the role play bells and whistles.
It's seems like an apples and oranges comparison. With this current crisis there is an endgame when a vaccine comes out. Regardless of the uncertainty now, most expect things will resume as normal within a couple of months. With post 9/11 there was no direct endgame to global terrorism and as such global travel and tourism was severely hurt. I would argue that this was more of a shock to tourism than anything happening right now. Like I said these seem like very drastic actions taken as a knee jerk reaction rather than though out planning.

disney4life2008

Star wars hotel was a poor financial decision on Disney part to begin with. Alas, it won't be abandoned. I don't think they started reservations yet so they will delay like they did pop Century 1900s.

Epcot is not in any position to stop building. They have created an embaressment theme park with all the construction. I actually would suggest epcot closing all together for 2 years to allow them to refocus and build. The only thing missing is their festivals, they could move those to Disney Springs.

DarkMetroid567

Finish the front. Landscape the 1/4 of Innoventions that's been taken down. Reopen WoL as event space. Finish roof of Energy.

Not that much needed to make it presentable.

It'd still take a considerable amount of time. Look at how long it's taken Disney to re-do the entrance plaza in front of SSE. Hell, the current MouseGear is tiny and shoddy. It's supposed to stay like that for years? EPCOT is far too neutered to just keep it in its current state.

doctornick

Kids, this is why you don’t spend $50 billion+ on stock buybacks.

This is why it's hilarious when people are attacked for not having savings while also wanting to bail out huge corporations. Why should individual people bother with savings to get them through a crisis when gigantic corporations don't bother keeping cash reserves for a crisis?

I understand the dislike of stock buybacks on these pages, but it's not the same as just "not saving" or spending money on frivolous things for an individual person. It's more eqivalent to paying off your mortgage early than buying an unneeded car.

I mean, if the issue is that stick buybacks has limited available cash, couldn't the company just.... sell more stock to raise money? Yes, it might not be sold for as much as it was bought, but it still would be an avenue to raise cash if needed.

DVCakaCarlF

I would also say this...anything that leads to more revenue, will not cease. Hotels, merchandise, restaurants, and, obviously, anything with IP, will be a go.

Lastly, EPCOT is an eye sore...it has to get done.

disney4life2008

I had to run to Target yesterday and people were getting so close I was about to smack them with my umbrella. And I was with someone in a mask. Even if THEY didn't have the virus, how do they know WE didn't? It was infuriating and impacted my hope for us to get through this swiftly. And it wasn't crowded! People just weren't keeping their distance.

That was the first time I've been out of the house in 2 weeks and it didn't make me look forward to having to leave again.

/EndRant

Getting back on topic, what would it look like if Disney WERE to go bankrupt? What would that mean for the resort? I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm curious what would happen if it did.

Remember, Disney is a Conglomerate. It is not just parks and resorts. But they will have to rely on every thing else to bring in income. I also pretty certain Disney will get a good percentage of the bailout money.

trainplane3

What’re the chances of something else going in place of the SW quadrant? Like a rebuild of what was, a redesigned Festival Center, or something entirely different?
"Festival Field, a beautiful grass field where your imagination can soar. Just think of the power of possibility when left in a open space! Oh and you can drink there too. And it's a field so it's literally a backup bathroom for the NYE drunks."
That's a weird press release...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom