What's Still On and What's Now Off

Kman101

Ha! I thought I was the only one in the world that liked Gringotts better than FJ. :D

Nope! I mean, Forbidden is a great attraction when you take away the painful kuka arm. But that's me. Folks apparently love it but I've always thought it was slightly overrated. The video screens are the best part for me. So much fun. But anywho ... yeah, I just enjoy the overall experience of Gringotts better and the ride vehicle. But the set up to Forbidden Journey is incredible. The castle ... everything about it. But I just don't love the feeling in the kuka arm. I'd love to see a new variation of it (we may at Epic Universe)

Kman101

I can't imagine how any strategy can possibly allow theme parks to function if there is still a contagious disease in the population.

No matter what you do with queues, parades and restaurants, the rides themselves have a million things that people touch such as railings, lap bars, handholds and things. The ride vehicles and theater seats are cheek by jowl. Imagine all the saliva and boogers being spread everywhere by hand touching alone ... never mind if someone coughs or sneezes. An army of thousands of wipers per theme park couldn't go around wiping everything frequently enough. And there would be either a mountain of disposable wipes to deal with, or a pile of washable towels that would be loaded with germs.

I think the virus has to be virtually eradicated by either natural or induced immunity before any kind of theme park or entertainment venue can operate again.

No it doesn't and yes we do need to keep those practices up, period. We need to learn how to live with a deadly virus that spreads IMO (please don't take any of this the wrong way!!!). We're not shutting down every year. We just aren't. But we haven't had to go through this in over 100 years. In all truth, we should be grateful we don't spread more around. We need better practices in public.

If they told me mask and gloves were required, I'd applaud them and wear them.

I'm not talking about going out now. But by July? August? September? We aren't staying in our homes. It's not happening. You can. And I would completely understand and support you. It's scary. I'm afraid to touch anything. I wash everything.

Sanitization and cleanliness should not be some of the first things cut. We need to continue to do better. Maybe if we did ... anyway ...

Just my take. I know it's probably not a popular one. You're naive if you think they won't implement precations. They literally have to. HAVE TO. And if we don't keep these up? Shame on us. IMO.

Sorry, I just think in many ways we can do better.

Kman101

Other good thing might potentially be the SSE changes not occurring. I have to admit that they have me fearful for the future of that ride so I'm kinda okay if it get scaled back to "just" regular refurb.

Last time they scaled back we got blank space and lights. So ... lol! Just trying to make light. But yeah, I'm kinda ok if this happens, sort of, but ALL the scenes need work. They really have to invest in this one, IMO. I'm not sure on the whole story light thing but the ride as is can't stay the same. In reality a lot of the budget was for infrastructure from what I've heard and read. It was probably already scaled back lol.

As long as they simply fix the ending, the track, other infrastructure issues and get rid of the touchscreen I'm good. Maintenance on the vehicles is necessary because they were literally closing the doors themselves this last month.

Josh Hendy

If Disney is apparently on the verge of going bankrupt because of the virus, then how is Universal blazing ahead with construction? Do they really have that much more liquidity than Disney, or are they just being reckless?
I speculate that Disney is playing a cautious game like a team who is leading in a football match ... protecting the ball by hoarding cash. Whereas Universal is playing a "come from behind" game taking a chance on coming out of the lockdown and recession with a lot of momentum ... pristine parks with new ride(s) ready and a whole new park well under way.

Kman101

I speculate that Disney is playing a cautious game like a team who is leading in a football match ... protecting the ball by hoarding cash. Whereas Universal is playing a "come from behind" game taking a chance on coming out of the lockdown and recession with a lot of momentum ... pristine parks with new ride(s) ready and a whole new park well under way.

Pretty much this.

Remember for like a day people were claiming Disney would double down. LOL.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Disney is apparently on the verge of going bankrupt because of the virus, then how is Universal blazing ahead with construction? Do they really have that much more liquidity than Disney, or are they just being reckless?

Disney is far from the verge of bankruptcy.

But a prolonged lockdown could put a serious dent in cash flow.

Comcast/Universal has shown it is willing to gamble by taking on much more debt to get ahead. It may pan out for them, it may not.

csmat99

And anyone who has played football knows if you play to protect the lead you will end up losing. Prevent defense will prevent you from winning. I'm from Philly as much as I hate Comcast with regards to their customer service with cable division they are ruthless in business and have always been looking at the future where things are going. When they didn't end up buying Disney years ago then set their sights on beating them. Do I think they can have more people than magic kingdom? No but they don't need to. They just need to pull enough away to make Disney hurt. I much rather be spending my money at Epic then going to shell of Epcot. Or to a overstuffed turkey Magic Kingdom has become. You can't even move. Why do they do that? so you can justify people spending another 100 bucks per person for their ticketed events just so you don't have to be shoulder to shoulder with people. But you do get free ice cream and soda so that makes things alright. :rolleyes:

Kman101

which attraction at EU?

I believe it was for the Classic Monsters dark ride using the kuka arm on a coaster track. But I could be wrong (I could also be wrong that it's for Classic Monsters, but how epic would that be?). It was speculation/rumor more so than confirmation. But I'm hoping.

Josh Hendy

I much rather be spending my money at Epic then going to shell of Epcot. Or to a overstuffed turkey Magic Kingdom has become. You can't even move. Why do they do that? so you can justify people spending another 100 bucks per person for their ticketed events just so you don't have to be shoulder to shoulder with people.
I'm right with you. To me, Disney shows clear signs of being run by beancounters rather than entrepreneurs, and the beancounters have a strong attitude of, "protect the ball and protect the lead."

I read a similar criticism of Boeing which said, once the beancounters took over the company they started falling into the trap of thinking that instead of designing great new airplanes all they had to do was stick new engines on an old airframe and compensate for the dangerous flight characteristics with software kluges ... which they outsourced to underpaid, unqualified foreign programmers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And anyone who has played football knows if you play to protect the lead you will end up losing.

Marathoners don't win if they try to sprint the whole way. Rope-a-dope has shown to be an effective strategy in boxing.

A winning strategy in one venue isn't necessarily a winning strategy in another.

Oh, BTW, as to your football analogy. Pure defense works if you're way ahead. It's called running out the clock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom