What's Still On and What's Now Off

UNCgolf

Mummt is good doe MiB's theming is better.

Also, maintenance wise, Jurassic Park is DEFINITELY not their best.

Yeah, I just mean in terms of ride I think is the best overall if everything is working properly. I love that ride.

I assume they're going to change it to Jurassic World eventually.

phillip9698

Umm the people who need those businesses to continue in order to pay for rent and food would call them essential!

At one point in time elevator attendants thought themselves essential. At one point in time the ice and milk men thought themselves essential. Society changes and adapts. Essential to society doesn't mean "whatever I currently do for a living".

Until the risk of jump starting another pandemic passes, businesses that rely on large numbers of people squeezed into small areas won't operate. They will either remain closed on their own or society will close them. Disney World can't open if it becomes a spreader for a deadly disease with no vaccine or cure. The business couldn't stay open by relying on irresponsible people alone.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think he was arguing that faster moving standby lines (with everyone in the same line) would be better for limiting exposure, but I don't really follow that line of thought.

I suppose if the line is moving faster it'd be easier to keep people spread apart (because perhaps they wouldn't naturally clump together while standing still for minutes at a time), but with the lines being longer overall, there may not be queue space for that.
The reality is NO lines are good for sanitation. You’re in close quarters with all ages with nothing to do. It’s uniform.
At one point in time elevator attendants thought themselves essential. At one point in time the ice and milk men thought themselves essential. Society changes and adapts.

Until the risk of jump starting another pandemic passes, businesses that rely on large numbers of people squeezed into small areas won't operate. They will either remain closed on their own or society will close them. Disney World can't open if it becomes a spreader for a deadly disease with no vaccine or cure. The business couldn't stay open by relying on irresponsible people alone.

And I totally agree. Unless we somehow see fewer additional deaths - especially in the US - the idea that someone will go on tv and shout “ok, everyone! Back to normal! Everyone back to work!”...

...is patently insane. There will be at least a medium shock to “normal life”...even in a spoiled society with a limited attention span such as 🇺🇸

Kman101

exactly and I gotta say the tv news networks are loving the ratings right now with everyone stuck at home watching tv and listening to scary data that doesn’t and never will have all the numbers because of who has and hasn’t been tested and those who may have had it already and recovered

The 'news' media really does love to sensationalize everything. They love using "big" "scary" words like, say, SuperStorm, etc. I cringe at some of their severe weather coverage as well as just about everything. I see through a lot of what they try and do and try and focus on actual numbers and facts where I can find them. I definitely educate myself as much as I can. But it really can mess with your mind if you let it. I'm also fed up with talking heads. But I don't want to veer this anymore off topic than it's already gone.

So anyway ... my guesses

NOT STOPPING:
1. Ratatouille - obviously not being abandoned. Would have likely opened in May/June.
2. Space 220 - keeps getting delayed but shouldn't they be almost opening ready? No?

KINDA HAVE TO CONTINUE (AT SOME POINT, RIGHT?):
1. TRON - I mean, it's a clone. So, they'll finish it. It likely could have been near ready the end of this year so ... (obviously they wouldn't open it earlier as other things have to be done)

2. GUARDIANS - They've poured way too much money in it to abandon it. What's left to be done? Track should be installed. Interior queue needs to be finished. Exterior work. Filming? I'm just guessing ... it's likely to continue even if they may want to abandon ship. LOL.

3. PLAY! Pavilion - Like Guardians, they've poured some money into and I see no reason they don't keep going. Maybe more meet and greets instead of other things?

50/50
1. Festival Pavilion (it will print money so ... probably delayed unless they want to rebuild what they tore down ... )
2. Dreamer's Point (they can afford a statue; but it's also probably an easy thing to cut)

PROBABLY NOT HAPPENING ...
1. Mary Poppins - I hate saying it but I just feel like we'll never get something for her. Probably could still build the exterior and facades and put in a meet and greet then come around to it in another 20-30 years. How far along was this in development? They obviously haven't even started building it. Was money allocated? I haven't followed this project enough in the last six months, so I apologize.

Trying to stick with what's been officially confirmed as happening by them. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. And again, just my gut hunches. I hope I'm wrong. I don't think it'll be as cataclysmic for Epcot as much as people think but 🤷‍♂️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The 'news' media really does love to sensationalize everything. They love using "big" "scary" words like, say, SuperStorm, etc. I cringe at some of their severe weather coverage as well as just about everything. I see through a lot of what they try and do and try and focus on actual numbers and facts where I can find them. I definitely educate myself as much as I can. But it really can mess with your mind if you let it. I'm also fed up with talking heads. But I don't want to veer this anymore off topic than it's already gone.

So anyway ... my guesses

NOT STOPPING:
1. Ratatouille - obviously not being abandoned. Would have likely opened in May/June.
2. Space 220 - keeps getting delayed but shouldn't they be almost opening ready? No?

KINDA HAVE TO CONTINUE (AT SOME POINT, RIGHT?):
1. TRON - I mean, it's a clone. So, they'll finish it. It likely could have been near ready the end of this year so ... (obviously they wouldn't open it earlier as other things have to be done)

2. GUARDIANS - They've poured way too much money in it to abandon it. What's left to be done? Track should be installed. Interior queue needs to be finished. Exterior work. Filming? I'm just guessing ... it's likely to continue even if they may want to abandon ship. LOL.

3. PLAY! Pavilion - Like Guardians, they've poured some money into and I see no reason they don't keep going. Maybe more meet and greets instead of other things?

50/50
1. Festival Pavilion (it will print money so ... probably delayed unless they want to rebuild what they tore down ... )
2. Dreamer's Point (they can afford a statue; but it's also probably an easy thing to cut)

PROBABLY NOT HAPPENING ...
1. Mary Poppins - I hate saying it but I just feel like we'll never get something for her. Probably could still build the exterior and facades and put in a meet and greet then come around to it in another 20-30 years. How far along was this in development? They obviously haven't even started building it. Was money allocated? I haven't followed this project enough in the last six months, so I apologize.

Trying to stick with what's been officially confirmed as happening by them. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. And again, just my gut hunches. I hope I'm wrong. I don't think it'll be as cataclysmic for Epcot as much as people think but 🤷‍♂️

I think the sad part for me is DAK still needs a complete overhaul of dinoland and/or a new major addition to make it the park it always could have been...and That’s way off the table.

And mgm is what it is...limited attractions that dump you out feeling like the park is too small. That apparently is how it will live it’s entire life.

I’ll take this opportunity to point out Iger did NOTHING of importance for far too long when he took over. Stagnation is the enemy. Specifically Epcot.

Back to regular programming...nothing new here.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Hagrids is way better...

...forbidden journey in my opinion too

Haven't been on Hagrid's yet.

I despise Forbidden Journey. Should have been great (and is for a lot of people), but the ride system is atrocious. Felt like I was getting jerked all over the place and got horrendous motion sickness. GF didn't get sick, but it hurt her neck. I'll never ride it again.

UNCgolf

If thats the case, I'll be taking a WDW break. Epcot is our fave park and I'm not paying full price for a fraction of the entertainment.

Same here. GF and I were talking about going back early next year if everything has died down and they're offering big discounts, but I don't really care how big the discounts are if they have attractions etc. that just aren't operating.

Kman101

I think the sad part for me is DAK still needs a complete overhaul of dinoland and/or a new major addition to make it the park it always could have been...and That’s way off the table.

And mgm is what it is...limited attractions that dump you out feeling like the park is too small. That apparently is how it will live it’s entire life.

I’ll take this opportunity to point out Iger did NOTHING for importance for far too long when he took over. Stagnation is the enemy. Specifically Epcot.

Back to regular programming...nothing new here.

Agreed on DAK. I imagine if they had anything in mind it's scaled back or delayed. It's a shame because the entire park is gorgeous and really has potential to be even better. But there's still a lack of rides, which is a shame. It does come the closest to being the most fleshed out. MK remains "stuck" because whatever new they add draws a crowd. They really need to open up Frontierland and Adventureland.

MGM, yeah is what it is. I wanted more. Dated stages show still exist. They should have used the space better as well. But here we are 🤷‍♂️

Also guessing the Spaceship Earth changes are even further scaled back then they just already were (not sure if that will either be good or bad, lol). But a lot of it was always going to infrastructure. Interesting times but they'll do what they usually do ...

Kman101

I despise Forbidden Journey. Should have been great (and is for a lot of people), but the ride system is atrocious. Felt like I was getting jerked all over the place and got horrendous motion sickness. GF didn't get sick, but it hurt her neck. I'll never ride it again.

I'm not a fan of Journey either. I'm just not a fan of the kuka arm experience. It's not that it's awful. It's a good attraction and very well done. I actually like Gringotts better. But that's me :)

Also haven't been on Hagrid's. It has it's faults too from what I can see (Both operationally and some things that Disney would be criticized for). But it still looks amazing from videos and seeing it zip by in person. It's why I'm a bit critical of Slinky Dog Dash. It's so much fun but short and not enough around the track to see. But it's "good enough" 🤷‍♂️ Imagine Slinky slowing down and the toys actually come to life to do a scene. I mean ... they could have done a lot more here. But it's cute for what it is. Just an example of what it maybe could have been. But it is what it is. I still enjoy what's there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not a fan of Journey either. I'm just not a fan of the kuka arm experience. It's not that it's awful. It's a good attraction and very well done. I actually like Gringotts better. But that's me :)

Also haven't been on Hagrid's. It has it's faults too from what I can see (Both operationally and some things that Disney would be criticized for). But it still looks amazing from videos and seeing it zip by in person. It's why I'm a bit critical of Slinky Dog Dash. It's so much fun but short and not enough around the track to see. But it's "good enough" 🤷‍♂️ Imagine Slinky slowing down and the toys actually come to life to do a scene. I mean ... they could have done a lot more here. But it's cute for what it is. Just an example of what it maybe could have been. But it is what it is. I still enjoy what's there.
I like forbidden journey...but after a couple of times it scrambles your Brain for a week...like most UOR stuff.

Hagrids was really good...it was broken down all over the place when I was there in January...but we managed to get back in during one of the restarts and make the window before it broke down...45 minutes later

Kman101

I like forbidden journey...but after a couple of times it scrambles your Brain for a week...like most UOR stuff.

Hagrids was really good...it was broken down all over the place when I was there in January...but we managed to get back in during one of the restarts and make the window before it broke down...45 minutes later

I try to give them a pass on downtime because I have no idea what it takes to keep these things going.

I forgot about the Moana water trail for Epcot. LOL. Whoops. They could always keep the building that's left and put in some props and projections and signs and add a meet and greet and call it a day.

Josh Hendy

I’ll take this opportunity to point out Iger did NOTHING of importance for far too long when he took over. Stagnation is the enemy. Specifically Epcot.
It's a weird and unprecedented situation but early indications are, the do-little approach is going to be worse under the new CEO, not better.

Universal sees nothing wrong with completing the Jurassic coaster, continuing regular maintenance in IOA, and moving Epic Universe along.

Disney literally sent the paint crews home from MK and so far seems to be doing zero maintenance and repair work OR lifting a finger to finish nearly complete attractions in Epcot or even clean up the mess in FutureWorld by planting grass or flower beds ... for freaking sake. There is not even a hint of a rumor of anything happening in any park, except for disposing of unneeded fireworks.

Abundance of caution ... or rank cynicism?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They could always keep the building that's left and put in some props and projections and signs and add a meet and greet and call it a day.
Rejuvenate and turn what’s left into the events pavilion. Build something south of it that looks like what was torn down and stick their much needed (apparently) bar in it. Make it two floors and stick the M&G downstairs. Voila. Same endgame, fraction of the price. And quick.

Could be the only good thing to come out of this sorry sorry mess. Edit - it’s wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:

Kman101

Rejuvenate and turn what’s left into the events pavilion. Build something south of it that looks like what was torn down and stick their much needed (apparently) bar in it. Make it two floors and stick the M&G downstairs. Voila. Same endgame, fraction of the price. And quick.

Could be the only good thing to come out of this sorry sorry mess.

Oh wow, yeah, exactly this would be a better use of funds than a meet and greet. But I was sadly going for the extra extra budget friendly version ... ;) lol But yeah. I'd prefer your plan. Well, I don't prefer a festival pavilion or a bar but you know what I mean. lol.

I know it got knocked, understandably so, but I liked the look of the bar on legs (just not it's overall purpose but if we *have* to have a festival pavilion at least this part looked nice, but that's just me). Not at the expense of what was there, though. And they really should have just spent the money on what was already there. Anywho ...

SJN1279

Agreed its a great ride, with a terrible ride system. I always leave the ride sick, my wife will never ride again.

SJN1279

It's a weird and unprecedented situation but early indications are, the do-little approach is going to be worse under the new CEO, not better.

Universal sees nothing wrong with completing the Jurassic coaster, continuing regular maintenance in IOA, and moving Epic Universe along.

Disney literally sent the paint crews home from MK and so far seems to be doing zero maintenance and repair work OR lifting a finger to finish nearly complete attractions in Epcot or even clean up the mess in FutureWorld by planting grass or flower beds ... for freaking sake. There is not even a hint of a rumor of anything happening in any park, except for disposing of unneeded fireworks.

Abundance of caution ... or rank cynicism?
People are getting sick and dying. I applaud Disney for sending workers home.

I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.
How true is all of this for starters?
Everybody calm down let's see what happens!

Josh Hendy

People are getting sick and dying. I applaud Disney for sending workers home.
Should Universal be condemned then?

I have no idea what are considered to be adequate precautions against Corona in construction work. Are the conditions more dangerous for spreading the virus in construction than in other fields of work either essential or non-essential?

I imagine that equipment drivers pushing dirt around Epic Universe are adequately isolated. Are the steel workers bolting together the Jurassic coaster? The painters on scaffolds at Cinderella's castle?

What's remarkable is two companies in the same industry doing the same type of work hiring (essentially) the same contractors in the same area of the same state working under the same regulations and both having very similar contracts and insurance schemes. One of them is saying let's continue as before, one of them says, shut it down 100%.

Either the two companies' safety policies or their spending policies are 180 degrees opposite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom