"What's Next" Presentation cancelled.....

Ignohippo

That may well be. I'd say it's even likely ... but the rationale behind it is what interests me. It tells me they felt that folks were going to expect real news on what's next and they don't want to announce things or can't for the reasons I suggested above ... much easier to just talk about what's going on right now and what's already on it's way (such as the kiddie coaster or GF DVC).

This would be my guess as well. The name change tempers expectations that something amazing will be announced (when it won't be).

My hope would be that Avatar was going to be shown, but due to the cold response and acquisition of LucasFilm, they're holding off in announcing it just in case the money may be used elsewhere instead (sadly, this may be the fate of CarsLand at DHS too).

That said, I'm a bit surprised (not really) that there still hasn't been an answer to Transformers or Potter2.

Captain Chaos

People, you should all know by now, expect nothing and TDO never disappoints!!! Because they are good for giving nothing... other than BENCHES and MAGICAL BATHROOMS!!!!

prfctlyximprct

Around here we don’t look backwards for very long... we keep moving forward opening up new doors and doing new things because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. Walt Disney

Guess not anymore...

lazyboy97o

Sounds like a simple name-change for the same event. This happens. Why are we upset again?
I find it curious because this is Disney. This event was announced some time ago and this is rather late for the name change. I have it hard to believe that Disney just now decided that "Around the World" sounds better than "What's Next."

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I find it curious because this is Disney. This event was announced some time ago and this is rather late for the name change. I have it hard to believe that Disney just now decided that "Around the World" sounds better than "What's Next."

I agree doing a name change this late is odd, as if it was anything else or any other company. However, I always assumed that the announced would be more than just what was going on at the MK, but projects across the property... So the "Around the World" State-of-the-Union-esque name change is more apropos.

lazyboy97o

I agree doing a name change this late is odd, as if it was anything else or any other company. However, I always assumed that the announced would be more than just what was going on at the MK, but projects across the property... So the "Around the World" State-of-the-Union-esque name change is more apropos.
But the "What's Next" moniker has never been unique to the Magic Kingdom nor are this week's opening events limited to the Magic Kingdom.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
What's Next was marketed too long to pull at the last moment, press events have been scheduled for both FLE Grand Opening following up the next day with the What's Next event. Changing from What Next which is more specific to something unknown and teased by Disney for quite a while and flipping now at the 11th hour to a generic Around the World for no good reason is poor PR.

Something happened here for Disney to switch gears this late in the game. Thinking either something fell through, like Avatar or Cars; or like many other announcements there was nothing to really announce much like the Ice Castle in Time Square for an existing castle show revision. Me, I'm leaning toward Disney Hyped and the World was very curious and there wasn't something of substance to deliver to the press that was gathering for Disney's special 2 day invite. Maybe Disney is thinking buying the press dinner at BoG, ample supply of liquor and the press will be pleased enough with the evening to forgive the flip flopping the next day.

My take anyhow.

Obi Walt Kenobi

It seems like a great time to announce a new project would be during the Christmas morning parade. It would reach a large audience and the parade is really a big Disney parks commercial anywho. ;)

DManRightHere

Here is what I am hoping. They cancelled the presentation cause all their plans are lame. New plan, design an awesome Star Wars Theme land for Hollywood studios. They spent tons and tons of money to own Star Wars.

I can see it now...Pod racing rollercoaster..or the chase after the bounty hunter on coruscant with a hybrid roller coaster/simulator...of course a cantina with dishes like seafood curry and crazy mixed drink receipes...a life size millenium falcon that you can tour inside...some other ride to do with the empire and the quees could be like the interior or the death star or star destroyer...

Maybe I've thought about this to much.

Longhairbear

I am guessing the name change means that they spent a ton of money getting all the bloggers to WDW, put them in hotel rooms, and are feeding them. They cancelled the first press event ( for whatever reason), and then realized they had to give the bloggers and press something to write about, so we have the name change. But is it a name change, or a backup plan to replace what was originally planned?

Pseudonym

This is just absolutely pathetic. While being stressed about final exams I thought to myself, well at least the "What's Next" presentation is this week. To see this kind of news is somewhat devastating and yet not that surprising.

From an engineering (and also business?) standpoint, YOU CANT (CANT!!!!) cancel/postpone something that is guaranteed and advertised to the widespread fan community. It's what runs the pixie dust through the veins of the die-hard fans. This presentation was my last hope for TDO and now they have taken that away from me. I've continued to give TDO the benefit of the doubt but this is truly a low blow. TDO has gone too far. This may be my final straw.

Bolna

As far as I understand it, the "What's Next" presentation would have been one of the media events happening in connection with the opening of New Fantasyland - and the main audience (and the people who were invited) was supposed to be media, not the fan community.

And I would be very surprised if your average journalist would just shrug their shoulders and think that they just renamed it and that's it. I would expect a journalist to at least take the new information in and it - those people work with words, they ought to see a change in name as a change in meaning as well.

That makes this name change even more peculiar as it implies that they only did change the name for good reason because otherwise they would just open themselves up to unnecessary questions.

SirLink

As far as I understand it, the "What's Next" presentation would have been one of the media events happening in connection with the opening of New Fantasyland - and the main audience (and the people who were invited) was supposed to be media, not the fan community.

And I would be very surprised if your average journalist would just shrug their shoulders and think that they just renamed it and that's it. I would expect a journalist to at least take the new information in and it - those people work with words, they ought to see a change in name as a change in meaning as well.

That makes this name change even more peculiar as it implies that they only did change the name for good reason because otherwise they would just open themselves up to unnecessary questions.

Yes, more like the social media menage pep rally, they'll be far more "fan blogger mommies" than real press, anyway...

dcibrando

my guess/hope - avatar fell through finally once and for all... carsland is a go but they want to group that announcement with a new land for animal kingdom (non-avatar) and expansion to World Showcase at EPCOT (new country, new ride or 2) along with a possible frontierland or tomorrowland makeover? :) :) :)

oh and maybe even a villians section of a themepark? :) haha ok i'll stop dreaming now

ParentsOf4

Why would Tdo do this to cars land when it's a proven hit?!
What follows is my attempt to understand TDO’s actions, not to justify them. Other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My basic assumption is that TDO does what’s financially best for WDW. In their eyes, money comes first. So, if Carsland is wildly successful at DLR, why wouldn’t they want to bring it to DHS?

The only thing I can think of is that TDO believes it’s not a sure-fire money winner for WDW.

How can that be?

Let’s look at some recent history. Both Toy Story Mania (TSM) and Star Tours II (STII) were “hits” but neither resulted in significant attendance bumps. TSM opened in May 2008 amid a faltering economy, estimated attendance at DHS rose from 9.51 million in 2007 to 9.7 million in 2009, a modest 190,000 or only 2% in 2 years. The average daily increase at DHS was only about 520 guests, far less than the capacity of TSM. For reference, during this same period, MK attendance increased by 1%, suggesting the TSM “bump” did not amount to much. Given that TSM always operates at 100% capacity, it seems likely that TSM’s primary effect on attendance was to simply “steal” guests away from other DHS attractions. For example, the American Idol Experience, another newer attraction, has been playing to mostly empty audiences while DHS continues to hand out free FPs for the first showing of Lights, Motors, Action to try to get people to see that show.

Observers agree that Carsland has “stolen” some attendance from DL. I haven’t seen numbers but it’s my understanding that DL attendance is down slightly now that DCA is finally packing them in.

Added together, I’m guessing TDO believes Carsland in DHS will cannibalize patrons from other DHS attractions or other Disney parks, not drive attendance increases. In the end, DHS believes Carsland will cost a lot of money without resulting in a significant revenue increase.

Don’t forget, this is the same TDO that let Harry Potter go to Universal yet spent $450M to revamp their most popular land at MK. I don’t think their decision-making track record has been particularly good of late.

DHS still might get Carsland but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s being shoved down TDO’s throat and certainly expect TDO to try to “minus” it (vs. Walt’s “plus” it) if they end up adding it. It could very well have been that Carsland at DHS was going to be the big announcement at the "What's Next" presentation and that the presentation was replaced because TWDC/TDO still haven't agreed on exactly what Carsland at DHS is going to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom