"What's Next" Presentation cancelled.....

asianway

I'm really trying to steer clear of the forums this week (for obvious reasons, like sanity!) ... and this is exactly what Disney would be doing. Anything from tours of the new Grand Flo spa to renderings of what the California Grill might look like next summer when it reopens.

Disney, most certainly, does NOT want to show the world how thing are better at every resort they own/manage than they are at The World.

Oh come on, you dont want to see the reports come in from the Blorgy starting Wednesday? Its going to be a grand ole time.

WDW1974

Oh come on, you dont want to see the reports come in from the Blorgy starting Wednesday? Its going to be a grand ole time.

Oh, I've been away from the boards for a few days already because I know that some arrived over the weekend (why have four days on Disney when you can stretch it into a week or 10 days?)

I do wonder since I just heard this news what it really means ... what is Disney afraid to talk about?

Is Avatar on the ropes again? Are the FP+/NEXT GEN folks getting cold feet after a year of hearing OPS folks telling them 'it's NOT gonna work!!! It's not gonna work!!!'? Have they postponed the new parade or cut the budget, so they don't have artwork? Have they canceled the new shows for Studios?

So many things to wonder about ... none of them good, sadly.

WDW1974

honestly.. just the name has changed.. that's it... same content.

That may well be. I'd say it's even likely ... but the rationale behind it is what interests me. It tells me they felt that folks were going to expect real news on what's next and they don't want to announce things or can't for the reasons I suggested above ... much easier to just talk about what's going on right now and what's already on it's way (such as the kiddie coaster or GF DVC).

celluloid

Yep. As posted in other threads more than likely we just have to expect that it will be a ceremony of them patting themselves on the back. Perhaps there is something up a sleeve with a bigger announcement. Maybe another Avatar statement with a piece of art? ha.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Cost Accounting 101... Errr I mean Around The World should be so great... Too bad I already took that course a few years ago.

misterID

Oh, I've been away from the boards for a few days already because I know that some arrived over the weekend (why have four days on Disney when you can stretch it into a week or 10 days?)

I do wonder since I just heard this news what it really means ... what is Disney afraid to talk about?

Is Avatar on the ropes again? Are the FP+/NEXT GEN folks getting cold feet after a year of hearing OPS folks telling them 'it's NOT gonna work!!! It's not gonna work!!!'? Have they postponed the new parade or cut the budget, so they don't have artwork? Have they canceled the new shows for Studios?

So many things to wonder about ... none of them good, sadly.

The Next Gen stuff not working out can actually be seen as pretty good news.

The Empress Lilly

What's the big deal? WDW would focus on what's being opened, wouldn't they?

FL refurbishment at the MK, Sparrow at the Studios, TT 2.0 at EPCOT, Splitsville in Downtown Disney, and lots of work in progress at resorts all over WDW.

Most of this work is quality too. WDW is right to draw attention to it. With the exception of DAK, if you visited WDW in summer of 2012 then you will find something new everywhere in summer of 2013. WDW needs to market this, shortly ahead of the start of 'vacation booking season'.

(Besides, if I were Disney, I'd conclude from people fawning over an upcoming a sponsorship on Main Street for sixty pages that all of the above apparantly even succeeds customer expectations)

spaceghost

The upcoming "What's Next" presentation for this Friday, Dec. 7th has been cancelled. It has been replaced by an "Around the World" presentation.

Fantastic work TDO! Very reminiscent of when they shorted the Parks presentation at the D23 expo last year and announced nothing. Hooray for continual stagnation and no sign of progress! Maybe we'll learn something new by the time FP+ cripple's the parks!
Huh...zah?

Magenta Panther

I'm really getting annoyed with Disney.

I'm headed down to Orlando for a work conference in February '13 and was looking forward to squeezing in a little time at the parks. But with this latest business and all the maintenance issues I saw in my March '12 visit and all the lackluster FLE reviews, I'm giving serious consideration about spending my spare time and dollars at Sea World and Uni. Have not seen Potter yet and I believe this could very well be the trip where I finally do so.

DO see Universal. Islands of Adventure and Potter alone are a better use of your time than the FLE.

And don't miss the Universal "100 Years" fireworks show! It's awesome! (Although not on a par with WDW's Wishes or the Castle projection show, I'll admit.)

John

Why the name change?...."whats next"....because there is no whats next, just what is. As usaual they want everyone to lower expectations. Its become more then comical. Sad even. To do something like this is a sign of someone getting nervous. You dont anounce an event and change the name of it days before it is to take place.....Only Disney would do something like this. Convinces me that they do read the boards and blogs. Where else would they get a pulse of the fan base? The Starbucks fiasco should have taught us that.

asianway

Why the name change?...."whats next"....because there is no whats next, just what is. As usaual they want everyone to lower expectations. Its become more then comical. Sad even. To do something like this is a sign of someone getting nervous. You dont anounce an event and change the name of it days before it is to take place.....Only Disney would do something like this. Convinces me that they do read the boards and blogs. Where else would they get a pulse of the fan base? The Starbucks fiasco should have taught us that.
Ok...now I'm confused-I figured they'd play up Limited Time Magic seeing as how we're under a month. I'd think between that, fairy tale hall, and mine train they could lather everyone up.

dreamscometrue

Maybe the announcements aren't ready yet and haven't been finalized? You can't announce something you're not sure about! Remember Eisner's Disney Decade? It started in the first few years on track and then the whole thing derailed. Projects that were announced for the second part of the decade never happened, but other projects that weren't part of that plan did. Same could be said for FLE, which was to include a "pixie" section when it was announced, but was replaced. Maybe this announcement was put off because major details were as of yet still undecided?

This is logical and actually makes complete sense, but prepare to be flamed by the small, but very 'vocal' fans on here who are so blinded by TDO hatred, and perhaps all things TWDC, that they have lost all sense of reason and perspective. There are some completely miserable souls on here...a fact highlighted again in the recent TT thread. No matter what is done, you'll see that there is a relatively small number of people on here who are impossible to satisfy. They are actually bordering on 'trolldom'.

misterID

Not really... Didn't they invest a lot of money in this? It could lead to less risk as a result even though it shouldn't. (Because its a sunk cost)

I have no idea what the've invested so far, but from what's been said the big thing is the (un)expected costs that keep growing. And what risks are they doing now to fear they won't do in the future? None. Zero. Zilch. Nothing will change.

MaryJaneP

Sense? Really? Keep the name and announce whatever you want. Call it "next". Whatever. The name change has a reason, to lower expectations. Any other reason make sense to you? Fanboi's defend non-stop. Haters gonna hate. Totally unnecessary to change name and only leads to "TDO hatred" when no announcement was even warranted and has now been watered down to who knows what, maybe nothing worth announcing at all.

gonnichi

Sense? Really? Keep the name and announce whatever you want. Call it "next". Whatever. The name change has a reason, to lower expectations. Any other reason make sense to you? Fanboi's defend non-stop. Haters gonna hate. Totally unnecessary to change name and only leads to "TDO hatred" when no announcement was even warranted and has now been watered down to who knows what, maybe nothing worth announcing at all.

If nothing worth announcing at all is what we get from this then it is an authentic TDO announcement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom