Whats it like to be a Disney Character..Cast member

SpenceMan01

Connor002 said:
It dosen't ruin or spoil the magic for me. Why? Becasue there is a distinction between what I know, and what I believe. WHen I'm here, I know the characters have "friends," but when at disney, that dosen't cross my mind. As far as I'm concerened, they are the characters, once the "friend" is on stage, they become the character. So they are real to me, and the fact that I know the truth dosen't bother me, because I don't think of the characters as people in furry costumes. The characters are as real as you or me, because they are a persona.

and thank you mkt, i think it's time for everyone to reconize the fact the we are all adults (or young adults) on these boards, and we can handle the truth

My nomination for post of the day! If we still had green around here, you'd be getting some!

When you're there and the characters are doing meet and greets, they're the character. In the back of my head might flash the thought of a person inside, but when Daisy gave me a kiss and makes my GF jealous, I'm not getting a kiss from the person in the costume, I'm getting a kiss from Daisy. It's counterproductive and annoying to constantly refer to character CM's as 'friends' of the characters on this forum. If you feel that you can't make comments about people in costumes for fear of losing your job, then by all means, don't make those comments. DON'T, however, criticize the rest of us for doing so.

A "Ghost" Host

Hmm, since I am "friends" with both face and fur characters, I think I can help.

When doing face for me it is so much more fun. I love being able to talk with the guests, as they seem to enjoy it as well. The face costumes aren't bad at all, some of them can get a little hot, but that really depends on which character it is as well as were they are standing. Then as a fur character, yes, it does get HOT. But if you enjoy the job, the heat doesn't bother you so much. But trust me, you will come out soaked with sweat. ( :hurl: ) I hope to see you in the Disney family! Good luck! And if you need any advice let me know!

mrtoad said:
The characters are real, just ask my 4 year old daughter. She will tell you that Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Cinderella, Snow White are all real, so they are real.

But she did tell her grandmother today that the Pirates are robots. And they have skin on em'.... :lol:
Well of course the characters are real! If they werent then how could people visit them?

Connor002

SpenceMan01 said:
My nomination for post of the day! If we still had green around here, you'd be getting some!

Yay! Post of they day! :lol:

Hey, i thought what daisy and i had was special. then she goes and gives you a kiss too. :mad: :rolleyes: :lol:

Munk02

I was recently very good friends with a chipmunk. Dale told me that yes, it's hot, but to see the faces of children and adults light up is completely worth the trouble. Having the oportunity to make magical moments was priceless. Dale was greeting guest in front of the magic kingdom and 2 small children brought dale some acorns, which they had actually brought from their home just for chip and dale. It was precious! It's always the little things that make it worth it dale once said. Yes, dale said it IS NOT EASY being him, rather it is very physically demanding, but the memories will last forever and to know that he created the magic for so many people is incredible!!

Magicot

mousebymarriage said:
Here is something that should aggrivate those of you offended by cast memeber revealing the "magic".
My aunt was an executive secretary for the Walt Disney Company quite a few years ago and she said there is nothing "magical" about many of the jobs at the parks.
1) The pay is really crappy
2) There are many many rules to follow (approved appearance, clothing, shoes, weight(no too many fatties working in high visibilty areas<EVER p one),etc.< notice that> -ever noticed that one!
3) The costumes are really , really hot and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are they allowed to remove the head in public(even if they need to vomit:hurl: , sorry keep the head on and puke away) and YES it has happened.
4) The hours really suck!
The list goes on!

Well aren't you cheery!

dflye

Munk02 said:
Dale was greeting guest in front of the magic kingdom and 2 small children brought dale some acorns, which they had actually brought from their home just for chip and dale. It was precious!
That is just too adorable! :) Those are the kind of stories that make people believe in the magic! :sohappy:

Our 3 year old son loves to feed peanuts (yes, the unsalted kind) to the squirrels at the local park, and we've taught him that the various acorns are squirrel food (well, and chipmunk food as well, but most people don't realize they are different critters.) He was picking up the surplus acorns around one tree, and offering them to the nut-deprived ones later down the path! :lol:

Character CMs

Hot is hot. Whether it's 80 degrees and sunny or 100 and sunny, you're going to sweat buckets. Eventually, your body adjusts and it just becomes part of the job. The only real difference is w sweaty ring around your neck and arms or your entire t-shirt wet.

Guests are the best and worst part of the job. Some are not very understanding and demand that you sign a receipt with a pencil because you are their "favorite character." 95% of the time, the guests are amazing and are what get you through your day, especially the kids and older folks.

The pay is minimal. Most folks wouldn't work at McDonalds for the pay Disney Character Performers receive, but that's not the point. If you're doing it for the money, you are in the wrong business. It's as much a testiment to the folks who do it everyday as it is an example of Disney's exploitation of their own fanbase.

The hours can be long. During the holiday seasons and rehearsal times, cast members have been known to enter the MK tunnel on Monday morning and not leave until Friday evening. These are the fat times when cast members can work their a**es off in order to afford to pay rent during the lean off season times.

The Cast Member family is tight. While every family has it's members that no one really cares for, Cast Members in general are closer than any large workforce on the planet. With 50,000+ people collecting paychecks with Walt's name on them every week, it is astonishing how many close friendships develop in the course of a "bid" or schedule season. Folks who may have only worked with each other once will say hello to each other long after they forget how they know each other and psuedo-families will develop in the breakrooms amongst CMs who have worked together for years and years.

There are a million stories. Everyday, every single Character performer has a hundred things happen to them that would top anything discussed at a water cooler anywhere else. Heartbreaking, heartwarming, funny, sad, and in between. There is no job like it on Earth.

I think that about sums it up.

If you're thinking about doing it: do it... just don't plan on doing it forever.

-Billy

WDWKat26

billybluenose said:
Hot is hot. Whether it's 80 degrees and sunny or 100 and sunny, you're going to sweat buckets. Eventually, your body adjusts and it just becomes part of the job. The only real difference is w sweaty ring around your neck and arms or your entire t-shirt wet.

Guests are the best and worst part of the job. Some are not very understanding and demand that you sign a receipt with a pencil because you are their "favorite character." 95% of the time, the guests are amazing and are what get you through your day, especially the kids and older folks.

The pay is minimal. Most folks wouldn't work at McDonalds for the pay Disney Character Performers receive, but that's not the point. If you're doing it for the money, you are in the wrong business. It's as much a testiment to the folks who do it everyday as it is an example of Disney's exploitation of their own fanbase.

The hours can be long. During the holiday seasons and rehearsal times, cast members have been known to enter the MK tunnel on Monday morning and not leave until Friday evening. These are the fat times when cast members can work their a**es off in order to afford to pay rent during the lean off season times.

The Cast Member family is tight. While every family has it's members that no one really cares for, Cast Members in general are closer than any large workforce on the planet. With 50,000+ people collecting paychecks with Walt's name on them every week, it is astonishing how many close friendships develop in the course of a "bid" or schedule season. Folks who may have only worked with each other once will say hello to each other long after they forget how they know each other and psuedo-families will develop in the breakrooms amongst CMs who have worked together for years and years.

There are a million stories. Everyday, every single Character performer has a hundred things happen to them that would top anything discussed at a water cooler anywhere else. Heartbreaking, heartwarming, funny, sad, and in between. There is no job like it on Earth.

I think that about sums it up.

If you're thinking about doing it: do it... just don't plan on doing it forever.

-Billy

Amen.

One thing I love about entertainment is the fact that everyone is so close knit, and the people that I meet at work keep me coming in every day!

bgraham34

100 Acre HS said:
I usually just read, and have never responded, but for this thread I must. I am very good friends with quite a few characters, and I find this offensive. Those of you that are actually answering these questions are a disgrace to your fellow cast members. While it may be fine for you to destroy the magic in this way, think of the people that are busy making magic right now. Our guests should know better than to make these comments and ask these questions, but they don't; but remember what you were told in your CORE classes. There is ONE Mickey, ONE Donald, ONE Goofy...and they are very real. Have some respect for the work of yourself and your fellow cast members.

First of dude you need to chill. Sit back have a drink and relax. :eek:

Some of us like to know about the inner workings of Disney. Stories are good because they make us feel more magical.

The magic is not ruined for most people on these boards because they know some of the inner workings of the parks. Its the person who is going to Disney for the first time that you should worry about.

What if Mickey took his head of walking down Main Street and a 8 year old child saw that. Mickey's rep would be gone in that child's eyes. But if it happend to me I would be like wow Mickeys head fell off thats wild, the poor person is sweeting to death. Oh well lets wait till he gets his head back on so i can get a picture with him.

Who cares. I want stories, many stories. I want to know how much Trash Disney puts out a day. What section of the park has the most. Where does it go. Oh do they were gloves when handling the trash. Who cares dude. Relax, go make magic someplace else if you are so bothered. I dated Ariele several years ago and she told me many stories.
:drevil:

Ok nap time.

ZoesMom

Research into Tours

I was a CM and happily will share stories HOWEVER those of you who are finding you have a really passion for the "backstage" stuff should look into some of the special tours and programs WDW does.

There are fees for the special programs, but they are great -- special tour guide take you backstage and then out "doors" to parts to examine a special topic such as art/architecture.

I took a tour/program like this before working there and it was the first time I saw Donald Duck with his head under his arm.

:animwink: I wasn't a kid, but it still sorta "got me" --

Good luck!

Preserving the Magic

There are a few folks angry about the "secrets" revealed in this thread. The nature of the website implies that those who visit are interested in taking a peak behind the scenes.

If your not interested in how the magic's made, stay clear of here!

-Billy

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I didn't view WDW Entertainment as a family... I viewed it more as the worlds largest High School lunchroom... down to the different cliques, the elite cool kids (face characters and some show cast), and the crappy food (Aramark).

There's a reason I graduated early from High School.

Tom

Beta Return
ZoesMom said:
I was a CM and happily will share stories HOWEVER those of you who are finding you have a really passion for the "backstage" stuff should look into some of the special tours and programs WDW does.

There are fees for the special programs, but they are great -- special tour guide take you backstage and then out "doors" to parts to examine a special topic such as art/architecture.

I took a tour/program like this before working there and it was the first time I saw Donald Duck with his head under his arm.

:animwink: I wasn't a kid, but it still sorta "got me" --

Good luck!

The tours are great. I've taken Backstage Magic twice (with two sets of other friends), Keys once and Steam Trains twice. Of all of them, the first BSM was the best - because the tour guide took us places that I'm pretty sure weren't on the "official" tour then, and definately aren't now. We went in the tunnels, DACS, parade control - and RIGHT PAST the Zoo! I looked in the windows and open doors and I think my jaw dropped. It was like some scene from Family Guy where they walk in on God hitting on some chick - just one of those things that you're not supposed to see! I saw Mickey and a couple others getting ready to go out - and they were in different stages of dress....and it was just creepy.

Ever since then, I feel like I'm trying to use X-Ray vision when I'm looking at a character....like I'm trying to imagine who's inside. It's easier since an ex "friend" of Mickey goes to my church and I know her. I still love character pics - but only for creating memories and keepsake photos...not because I think they're real. They really don't help tell the story for me, in all honesty. When I see characters, I feel like I'm back in some amusement park. If I'm walking through the awesomely themed Frontierland or Adventureland, and I see some big cartoony brightly colored animal - it takes AWAY from the story the architecture is telling. I'm not downplaying characters AT ALL, and as I mentioned in my other posts and stories, I have a TONNNN of respect for entertainment CMs. I just wish they'd confine them more to the designated areas like Toontown and other specific Meet-n-Greet areas - and they seem to be moving more toward that all the time.

ghuntermac

off topic, but relevant

I dont know much about Disney characters running around in parks, but I do know my own experiences.
I have been a costumed performer since 2001, It does get hot and you do sweat loads and regardless of how many times your punched, kicked and assaulted in costume, you still want to do it though. I'm 6ft 5" which would put me out of the height range of most characters that Disney has! I make a formidable teddy bear to be reasoned with! That doesnt stop kids, teens and adults from hugging, shaking, playing with you.
Disney has a contractual position with regards to characters, which they sign. CM' are not allowed to reveal how the magic is made even after thay have stopped making it! Or uncle Law court will ensure that you walk away with a hefty fine a criminal record and an untrustworthy record. I fully sympathise with Disneys standpoint and agree with it.
In the 1980' floods of letters went into Disney Anheim with regards to not being able to see characters in the parks, thats when the character program took on a new look. Thees days there are at any time 5 mickeys at the same time working in any of the parks all working 30 min shifts, if the temperature goes above 30 degrees outside that time does decrease.
Anyway to sum up(im getting tired), Disney characters are as real as you want them to be, They have a hard job but love it, If I had the opportunity to lose 2 feet off my height through alot of pain I would take it, as although its poor wages, bad working conditions and strict rules,
It REDEFINES FUN!!!!! (be a kid forever)

MonkeyHeadCup

Wait... Doesn't the Backstage Magic itself and other tours break THE SACRED WDW CASTMEMBER BLOOD OATH of never revealing that it might be hot inside one of those costumes, or other operational details?

I have to say - it's a little disappointing to read such vitrioloc posts coming from some of these castmembers - especially in regards to people just wanting to know what it's like to do some of these jobs. We all love the place, and it's simple fascination and love that makes someone ask if it's hot in the costume - of course it's hot, and the person asking probably knows that... but they just want to hear about it from someone else that may love it too. For the most part, I think the people on these boards are adults, so there's really no magic to ruin... in fact, the more I learn about the details, the more impressed I am at the sheer audacity and scale of the place. And I usually have the impression that people enjoy working there - maybe that's just a good show, but either way - it's effective, and I don't want to feel self conscious about asking a stupid question to a castmember about their job, lest it be one of you (very few I hope) elitist castmember who think guests have no business asking any questions about something they've just spent a fortune on enjoying... To the rest of you castmembers - I love you guys !

BTW - I did read Disney Wars, and the opening story about the Author being in the goofy suit chokes me up a little... I always smile a little now when I see Goofy outside of Animal Kingdom, and I hope that whoever is in there is enjoying the hell out of it - heat or not...

joanna71985

I work with the characters. When I am backstage I see things. But when we go out on set, they are now the characters. I can switch gears in my head. Even when I am in the parks as a guest, I can still see the characters as just that- characters. Not costumes, or people in costumes. But the characters.

NASAMan

I joined the Entertainment Cast as part of my weight maintainence program. I'm 50, work a couple weekends a month, and usually loose 5 pounds a weekend, mostly by sweat. I'm a big guy, and it does require a large exertion of energy, but not unlike running a race or marathon. You just do it - drink fluids, rest when you can, and just enjoy the heck out of the smiles you get performing. Before I was hired, I always tried to be 'part of the show' by addressing the character by name (Good afternoon, Mr. Mouse!), commenting on his persona (We're having a great day at this huge party you're having!) and always shake hands and thank them (Thanks for taking the time to visit with us!). It always seemed like the characters appreciated be treated as real, and I know now why. So many adults, and streetwise kids, just view them as a giant plush toy. But young kids, and those young at heart know how to act. And it is for them the characters are real.

We are animators: not with pencil, brush or pixel, but with cloth, fur and heart. If we do our job, the characters are as real in the park as they are onscreen.

Mecha Figment

I feel it is okay to answer some of these questions from a puppetters aspect because after all they are puppets not characters.

To answer the question about air conditioned characters it is incorrect to say they are do not have them. Only one does. But techicaly he is a puppet not a character. This is Bear from the big blue house. Grant it it is a small fan the size of your palm and it's just circulates the hot air inside. This is simply to keep the electronic equipment from overheating because when it does you go totaly blind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom