Whats it like to be a Disney Character..Cast member

brkgnews

It's threads like this that make me truly appreciate what the characters go through to bring the magic to us each day.

Kudos to all of them!:wave:

MagliteL13

mkt said:
Wear a winter coat with fur lining... inside out. Then put on a very loose ski mask. Then put on 2 oven mitts. Then a pair of track pants. Finally, put on a pair of tube socks with high top sneakers.

Then step outside for 30 minutes and remain bouncy and happy while getting kicked in the privates.

There's your character experience.

That also sounds like a good way to start your "mental institution experience."

drew81

mkepcotmgmak said:
you know what though, from my conversations with that hairy giant, he said that the magical moments outweighed the heat, any day, on the hottest day!

Was it one with Linda?????

100 Acre HS

I usually just read, and have never responded, but for this thread I must. I am very good friends with quite a few characters, and I find this offensive. Those of you that are actually answering these questions are a disgrace to your fellow cast members. While it may be fine for you to destroy the magic in this way, think of the people that are busy making magic right now. Our guests should know better than to make these comments and ask these questions, but they don't; but remember what you were told in your CORE classes. There is ONE Mickey, ONE Donald, ONE Goofy...and they are very real. Have some respect for the work of yourself and your fellow cast members.

Thelazer

right, and I suppose everyone's always full of magic and pixie dust and all so happy jolly all the time and nothing ever goes wrong.

Someone asked a question, they got the answer. Big friggen deal, life will still go on.

100 Acre HS

It has nothing to do with things going wrong, it is about integrity with your job. It is why characters don't talk, and why there is so much work put into theming, and story lines. If you chose to not believe that is your choice. But to answer these questions in a public forum is insulting. If you appreciate the work that characters do, just believe in them, that is the most rewarding experience.

drew81

I believe in the characters and the magic they make and that's why I have a shirt that says: Disney Characters are Real. I wear it to the parks and the characters love it.

mkepcotmgmak

100 Acre HS said:
I usually just read, and have never responded, but for this thread I must. I am very good friends with quite a few characters, and I find this offensive. Those of you that are actually answering these questions are a disgrace to your fellow cast members. While it may be fine for you to destroy the magic in this way, think of the people that are busy making magic right now. Our guests should know better than to make these comments and ask these questions, but they don't; but remember what you were told in your CORE classes. There is ONE Mickey, ONE Donald, ONE Goofy...and they are very real. Have some respect for the work of yourself and your fellow cast members.

hey, i didn't ruin any magic. :wave:

CoffeeJedi

100 Acre HS said:
why? we're ADULTS. even most kids over the age of about 4 know that its just a human in a costume. do you get bent out of shape when a maintainence worker talks about what he'll be doing during an Animatronic's rehab? how is this any different? if you're at work, your job is to keep the Magic real, and i'd be mad if you didn't, but here on the internet, there's nothing wrong with sharing stories and information

the original poster was just interested in the subject, anyone who reads the boards can see the topic, know what's going to be said, and stay out of the thread if they don't want to think about the realities of character CMs' jobs. but the truth remains that NOT A SINGLE PERSON ON THESE BOARDS is a child who belives that the characters are real. your post isn't "protecting" anyone's illusions

mkepcotmgmak

CoffeeJedi said:
why? we're ADULTS. even most kids over the age of about 4 know that its just a human in a costume. do you get bent out of shape when a maintainence worker talks about what he'll be doing during an Animatronic's rehab? how is this any different? if you're at work, your job is to keep the Magic real, and i'd be mad if you didn't, but here on the internet, there's nothing wrong with sharing stories and information

the original poster was just interested in the subject, anyone who reads the boards can see the topic, know what's going to be said, and stay out of the thread if they don't want to think about the realities of character CMs' jobs. but the truth remains that NOT A SINGLE PERSON ON THESE BOARDS is a child who belives that the characters are real. your post isn't "protecting" anyone's illusions

i believe they are real... :zipit:

drew81

mkepcotmgmak said:
i believe they are real... :zipit:

So do I. That's why I had my shirt made.

If a REAL person (it could be anybody) goes to a childrens hospital and visits some terminal child, do you think that kid is going to smile? They may or may not. But that person is real, right?

But if Mickey or another character goes to their bed side, do you think they'll smile? I'm sure they would. So if a REAL person can go and visit them and doesn't get a reaction from the kid, how can anyone say that the characters are not real? I have a problem with anyone that says otherwise. I believe in magic.

CoffeeJedi

drew smith said:
So do I. That's why I had my shirt made.

If a REAL person (it could be anybody) goes to a childrens hospital and visits some terminal child, do you think that kid is going to smile? They may or may not. But that person is real, right?

But if Mickey or another character goes to their bed side, do you think they'll smile? I'm sure they would. So if a REAL person can go and visit them and doesn't get a reaction from the kid, how can anyone say that the characters are not real? I have a problem with anyone that says otherwise. I believe in magic.

Ok, now we're opening up a whole new area of philosophy here, namely, do you "become" the character you're portraying when you play a role? I'm not saying that to a child, or even to the performer, that the character is any less "real", but to deny the performer does him or her a disservice. As a fan of Disney, i'm very interested in the experiences of cast members from all over the parks.

The character is "real" in the sense that its a combination of the original author or artist's vision, the medium that the character has been portrayed in, and now, the performance of an individual who is helping to bring that character to life. If however, you wish to live under the illusion that a fictional character exists independently outside of human beings' imaginations, its your right to do so. Just don't come and whine and complain to those of us who have no such pretenses. You know what the content of this thread would be in advance, do yourself a favor and don't click on it.

drew81

All I'm saying is that the characters are very special and magical. When I'm at the parks I've heard people say, in front a bunch of kids "well that's just a costume". I'm sorry but that makes me mad. I know the truth, but to destroy the magic and lesson the work of the characters especially to kids is not acceptable. If someone thinks I'm wierd because of that then so be it.

DisneyMedic

Original Poster
Hey Gang,

This is not really where I want this to go. I was just looking to see if any of the Character Cast members had any fun stories to tell. Whats it like working in the hot sun? Do you also work in any of the shows and then do meet and greats? And what kinda of fun stories about guest and you...IE: ever try to have a kid take your head off..ect...

Fun stories about what its like. We have gotten WAY off topic!!! We all know that castmembers make the Disney magic happen. I was just woundering what its like being this special type of Cast member?? Can we get back on topic please???

thanks

discman

I want to become a walt disney world character and to tell you the truth i feel that nothing that disney does not want said, should be said and you are not going to get the castmembers to tell you because in fact they are cast members for a reason and that reason is to make the magic happen and not to ruin it ,you need to understand that yes these cast members may want to tell you but they just cant. I know we are adults or teens but these are just things that connot be said and if and when you become a cast member im sure you will understand as well."Do not take this personal"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom