What would it take for you to NOT go back?

Willmark

Original Poster
Genuine question from a non-Disney fan.

Over the years I wondered this and with the latest kerfuffle over the demise of Fastpass+ (Of which the thread on said topic has been flogged to death, buried and made into glue multiple times over) I got to wondering:

Just what would it take for the Disney fans here to stop going?

Clearly, no amount of price increases and/or removal or perks is going to stop people from going from the look of it.

Fire away.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Since we already vacation there differently than most people here, I can't see not going. Being DVC helps as well, as we are good with resort only trips (we've done multiple resort only trips already - and more are in the works). We don't have to visit a park at all to have a great vacation there. If someone thinks the parks are the only reason to visit, well, they will have a different opinion than ours.

Willmark

Original Poster
Since we already vacation there differently than most people here, I can't see not going. Being DVC helps as well, as we are good with resort only trips (we've done multiple resort only trips already - and more are in the works). We don't have to visit a park at all to have a great vacation there. If someone thinks the parks are the only reason to visit, well, they will have a different opinion than ours.
I would think (as you note) yours would not be a typical situation. I would think far more people vacation there who are not DVC: nonetheless an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

The continued loss of entertainment starting long before the pandemic has made us really re-think going. Honestly, the room redesigns at resort hotels are another big thing for us, we loved the Poly Rooms before the reno but if we don't want to stay in a Moana sanctuary then there's no point in paying for a room we don't like.
If there was one singular thing that would stop us, however, it would have to be the blatant prioritization of guests with deeper pockets over other guests. I can deal with wanting to attract those that have more money but limiting perks to those who ONLY have more money is the issue. potentially telling guests that stay at value resorts that they cant enter the parks late at night at certain times but deluxe guests can, seems outright wrong to me. I'd even understand making that a paid-up experience like after-hours parties more.
It's not about the deluxe guests getting perks, it's about intentionally giving less to those who have less $ even when they had received that perk previously.

Also.... everyone should at least pause and think about the cast members, if they aren't significantly paid more and treated better over the coming years and/or decades that should be a dealbreaker as well.

Stellajack

Premium Member
We love trips to Disney World, but, long ago we decided no DVC for us, since all our vacations would not be spent there. We have done two Adventures by Disney trips to Italy, one for me and my DH and another for us with our children and grandchildren. After a certain number of trips to the World, planning and spending becomes easier. In the case of Disney World, "familiarity does NOT breed contempt". We can easily decide what to leave off and what is a "must do". I imagine if we expected to duplicate every single trip and attraction for the same price as previous trips discouragement would soon set in.

Nubs70

My hypothesis is when there is a spike in the prime rate. An increase in prime rate will the response to an inflationary spike. The inflationary spike will result in less household disposable income. Reliance on credit cards to fund a trip, in lieu of disposable income, will be reduced when the prime rate causes credit card interest rates to sky rocket.

Chicken Guy

The World Showcase Lagoon was the final nail in the coffin in my book. The one park location that hasn’t been somewhat corrupted by modern practices yet, and now there’s a permanent eyesore from any possible vantage point. I’m afraid that nowadays, a trip to a Disney park for me means a day spent fuming with contempt and with remorse for the lost integrity and impress of the past.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't understand why a non Disney fan is all over a Disney fan forum always putting them down?
If said person is say a Universal or Seaworld fan then why not just stick to the areas of interest vs areas of hate?
My guess is that person's personality is one that enjoys drama.

Anyways to the question...
As a lifelong Disney fan I'd say what would make me no longer care to return would be if I had a terrible experience compared to previous visits.
I have 2 trips booked and paid for for this year and if I find it overly crowded with long lines that I cannot avoid and don't get to do as many of my favorite attractions as my previous trips I may consider holding off on planning a trip for next year.
The thing is I've been to all of the area parks not just Disney but Disney is the one that I keep on coming back to so if I stopped going there then I wouldn't be going to their competition either.
So then I'd have to find somewhere else entirely to vacation and not much else appeals to me.

SteveAZee

Genuine question from a non-Disney fan.

Over the years I wondered this and with the latest kerfuffle over the demise of Fastpass+ (Of which the thread on said topic has been flogged to death, buried and made into glue multiple times over) I got to wondering:

Just what would it take for the Disney fans here to stop going?

Clearly, no amount of price increases and/or removal or perks is going to stop people from going from the look of it.

Fire away.
"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

I think people will just visit less often as things evolve in a direction they don't like. I used to go yearly... now it's once every three or four years. I like to catch up on the new stuff, revisit some of the old stuff.

Minnie Mum

Ive been visiting WDW every year or 2 since 1975. It's not going to take much more for us. Our on site stays stopped when they instituted resort parking fees. The termination of Magic Express just reinforced that decision.

With the changes in the parks in the past couple of years, our desire to return has seriously dwindled. The value (cost/benefit ratio) is barely in WDWs favor for us anymore. A trip only to WDW will likely happen if our DGS asks to return. So far he hasn't expressed any interest. A visit as a part of a trip to Florida for other reasons (like a cruise) would be more likely, but for a shorter stay than our former 2 weeks. Honestly, we've discovered that there are hundreds of places to visit that are as satisfying, if not more so, than good old WDW. As always, YMMV

Heppenheimer

Cost, pure and simple. I can currently afford it for my family, but if it reaches the point where I either need to rack up credit card debt or sell mutual fund shares to afford a trip, my days of visiting Disney World, or any Disney property for that matter, will end. Disney is something I enjoy and has provided great memories for me throughout my life, but visiting the resorts is not a need. There's enough other things to see in the world that aren't nearly as expensive.

Oh, and Marvel. If Marvel ever takes over the parks, I'm done.

JIMINYCR

First and foremost the continued increasing of crowds to the point where maneuvering through the parks are unmanageable and lines are intolerable. If we cant enjoy the parks and get to do most of the attractions we want then its not worth going. Waiting an hour for a 2 min ride is crazy, no matter how good it is.
Second the lack of shows and human entertainment. We really missed the HDD, street performers, Nemo musical and other forms of pleasure that we normally added into our trip time. A variety of entertainment is why we go back.
Third a breakdown of the Disney transportation. If we have extremely long waits getting to and from the parks and resorts, thats a lot of wasted time spent doing nothing.
Fourth a lack of courtesy and outward malaise from the CMs. If the personnel stop treating guests special and their job performance shows a lack of caring about what they do as being special, then it would cause us to rethink booking a trip. They are the first line of making Disney unique and stand out from the rest.
Lastly cost. I still find enough value to keep me going back but there could be a breaking point where paying out too much would break the bank. My job is secure and we are good at managing our finances and savings so saving for trips are doable now.

Willmark

Original Poster
I don't understand why a non Disney fan is all over a Disney fan forum always putting them down?
Not that I owe an explication, but I put them down?

First- There are tons far worse than me (if I am in that camp- that’s your stance not mine).

Second- Mrs Willmark is the Disney fan so she did like going, if I’m spending an arm and a leg on a vacation I want it to be as efficient and cost effective as possible.

Third- all over? Prior to the end of the political forum I limited myself to largely there. I’m thinking you’re confusing me with something or someone else.

My guess is that person's personality is one that enjoys drama.
Sounds like a case of projection, I mean look at your username.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

There are many things my family loves and enjoys about Disney World, but at the end of the day, we're all about the rides -- that is, enjoying all the ones we want, with as little wait as humanly possible. We're willing to get up early, stay up late, skip parades and fireworks, maintain a subscription to touringplans until we die -- whatever it takes to help make that happen.

We don't know what Disney has in store as far as the new incarnation of Fastpasses, or how much it will cost, and that's going to be our determining factor going forward. If we have to stay onsite in a deluxe resort and have to purchase a certain ticket upgrade or Fastpass plan in order to ensure that we don't spend our whole vacation standing in ride lines, then the equation will be simple: if we can afford what that's going to cost, we'll still go, and cut our budget somewhere else (e.g., cutting a couple days from the trip, getting rid of onsite dining - those are about the only 2 things we have left to sacrifice at this point). If we can't afford it, we won't go. Easy-peasy.

Last edited:

Willmark

Original Poster
There are many things my family loves and enjoys about Disney World, but at the end of the day, we're all about the rides -- that is, enjoying all the ones we want, with as little wait as humanly possible. We're willing to get up early, stay up late, maintain a subscription to touringplans until we die -- whatever it takes to help make that happen.

We don't know what Disney has in store as far as the new incarnation of Fastpasses, or how much it will cost, and that's going to be our determining factor going forward. If we have to stay onsite in a deluxe resort and have to purchase a certain ticket upgrade or Fastpass plan in order to ensure that we don't spend our whole vacation standing in ride lines, then the equation will be simple: if we can afford what that's going to cost, we'll still go, and cut our budget somewhere else (e.g., cutting a couple days from the trip, getting rid of onsite dining - those are about the only 2 things we have left to sacrifice at this point). If we can't afford it, we won't go. Easy-peasy.
Fast pass replacement- I get the sense that is the Rubicon as it were for a lot of folks

NelsonRD

Aging children. As our kids approach teenage years, our options for other destinations become more desirable. Although we always went before children, and plan on continuing even as they age, the frequency of trips will definitely be reduced, in the future, as the parks become less attractive with its current direction.

HouCuseChickie

While I won't say never...we are finding that the times of us going at least once a year are long gone.

-By our 2017 trip, we noticed a significant dip in CM care and attitude, which was a major turn off.
-Crowds didn't bother me too much with fast passes, but after going without them this winter and having a childhood and early adulthood in the pre-fast pass era that was full of excessive waits, it's not an experience any of us enjoyed or want to revisit. I'm sure we'll see some kind of paid version in the future and while this is the norm at other theme park brands, it's never a good look when you start getting charged extra for a feature that was previously wrapped into your entry fees. Just look at Vegas...resort fees and parking fees have been a thing for quite a few years now, but just because it's the norm now doesn't mean people aren't still upset about charges that used to be covered in their basic room fees.
-Cost is also an issue. It's not a matter of being priced out...it's a matter of looking at what you get for the $ and determining if there's any real value in that. It's a subjective matter, but when you create this pattern of continuously charging your guests more while you also keep finding ways to give them less for that raised price...it forces the consumer to evaluate the worth.

While a recent stay in Panama City Beach made our February stay at the BWV's seem like a great deal, everyone has asked to give Disney a long break. The kids don't necessarily see the monetary part and what costs more, but they see the service level changes and lesser experiences. They've asked for Universal on any future theme park trips and are perfectly fine that the vast majority of our trips planned for the next few years have nothing to do with The Mouse.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom