What would it take for you to NOT go back?

Walt Disney1955

I was glad to have not gone during this whole mask fiasco. It would have really put a damper on the mood and atmosphere and really killed the normally #1 all-time customer service to hear a CM say - even if it wasn't to me - "Sir, could you please keep your mask up above your nose?"

Something like that would have really hurt the mystique of the park, perhaps to never have it be seen the same again.

the-reason14

Genuine question from a non-Disney fan.

Over the years I wondered this and with the latest kerfuffle over the demise of Fastpass+ (Of which the thread on said topic has been flogged to death, buried and made into glue multiple times over) I got to wondering:

Just what would it take for the Disney fans here to stop going?

Clearly, no amount of price increases and/or removal or perks is going to stop people from going from the look of it.

Fire away.

What made me stop going was the conversion from paper fastpass tickets to the now defunct fastpass+ system. We went from being AP holders to some timers. I still go on occasion, but what would really make me stop going is if friends that currently work there don’t for whatever reason and I can no longer get in on a guest pass.

jloucks

Genuine question from a non-Disney fan.

Over the years I wondered this and with the latest kerfuffle over the demise of Fastpass+ (Of which the thread on said topic has been flogged to death, buried and made into glue multiple times over) I got to wondering:

Just what would it take for the Disney fans here to stop going?

Clearly, no amount of price increases and/or removal or perks is going to stop people from going from the look of it.

Fire away.
If I had to pick one, this is an easy one for me to answer as it IS why I have not been back after a short glut of trips.

Overcrowding.

It just kept getting worse and worse to the point I had had enough. Price was in no way a contributing factor.

Actually, yes it was, prices are way too cheap! If prices were triple, maybe crowds would drop and I could go. The problem with that theory tho is there are plenty of folks like me with money that would all do the same thing and we would be back to overcrowded again. :p

jloucks

First and foremost the continued increasing of crowds to the point where maneuvering through the parks are unmanageable and lines are intolerable. If we cant enjoy the parks and get to do most of the attractions we want then its not worth going. Waiting an hour for a 2 min ride is crazy, no matter how good it is.
Second the lack of shows and human entertainment. We really missed the HDD, street performers, Nemo musical and other forms of pleasure that we normally added into our trip time. A variety of entertainment is why we go back.
Third a breakdown of the Disney transportation. If we have extremely long waits getting to and from the parks and resorts, thats a lot of wasted time spent doing nothing.
Fourth a lack of courtesy and outward malaise from the CMs. If the personnel stop treating guests special and their job performance shows a lack of caring about what they do as being special, then it would cause us to rethink booking a trip. They are the first line of making Disney unique and stand out from the rest.
Lastly cost. I still find enough value to keep me going back but there could be a breaking point where paying out too much would break the bank. My job is secure and we are good at managing our finances and savings so saving for trips are doable now.
Are you me?! Lol, except for the last point, these are my thoughts exactly.

Unfortunately, everything is tied to costs/prices in one way or another, so while what you can spend goes to many different places, it all comes from just you. 😝

Seanual757

Increasing the cost of Annual passes if they went up for Florida resident to say $1400 I would most likely toss in the towel we have 7 Platinum Plus passes (well has Plus now Platinum) . Or Disney revised the Annual Pass program and made it less desirable. I might even look at selling off all 3 of my DVC contracts as well.

Willmark

Original Poster
If I had to pick one, this is an easy one for me to answer as it IS why I have not been back after a short glut of trips.

Overcrowding.

It just kept getting worse and worse to the point I had had enough. Price was in no way a contributing factor.

Actually, yes it was, prices are way too cheap! If prices were triple, maybe crowds would drop and I could go. The problem with that theory tho is there are plenty of folks like me with money that would all do the same thing and we would be back to overcrowded again. :p
As I’ve said around here for years. They keep cramming in more cattle and are surprised (but don’t care) that the cows are mooing louder.

MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Crowds. We already won't go during Christmas/New Years' weeks, Jersey Week, and try to avoid the North Eastern spring breaks.
Food. If the preponderance of food were to become burgers/fries/nuggets/vegan at all locations, (not just some) we wouldn't come.
Museum. I'm just waiting for the icepicks to be driven in my back for this one. Attractions need to be updated and or replaced regularly.

I'm seriously wondering if there's an internal war between the Parks and the Resorts group. Theres little value added for "value" or "moderate" hotels other than the ability to stand in long lines for "free" bus service. For the money you can find better for less off-property. I'n not talking "value" just the basics of room size, updated furnishings, and soft goods.

Po'Rich

Here's the long answer:
I first went to WDW in 2012. I had such a good time that we bought into DVC in 2014. One of the things that really impressed me about Disney was that, while expensive, it was all-included. I didn't feel like I was being hit with a lot of additional little fees. Since 2014, that seems to have changed bit-by-bit. Many of these changes haven't affected me, so I didn't care much. I don't have packages delivered to the resort, so I wasn't worried about paying that fee. I don't drive to WDW, so I wasn't concerned about the parking (as a DVC member, that cost is waived, anyway).

Yet now there are changes that are starting to affect the "all-included" part of Disney while Disney still remains expensive. Ending DME will definitely affect me (now, I have to figure out how to get from the airport to the resort. It's not a big deal, but it's now another aspect that I have to consider). If (when) fast-passes become paid, that will be another thing that I have to consider. I don't see me ever being willing to pay on a per-ride basis, but what effect will this have towards being able to enjoy the parks? I had mastered FP+ and was able to get to ride what I wanted when I went to WDW. If it gets to the point where I spend my days waiting in line or (more likely) simply not being able to ride the better rides, then Disney will lose a LOT of value for me. On a side note: the virtual queue seems awful. I am NOT looking forward to trying to manage that at 7 a.m.

As I plan for every trip, I question whether purchasing DVC was a good choice. WDW has also eliminated a lot of the street entertainment that was present back in 2012. For example, in 2012, there were four parades (AK, HS, and 2 at MK). Now, there's none (but even before COVID, it was down to one). The more WDW focuses on just putting people on rides or in shops, the less value.

So, the short answer is that when the day comes that Disney becomes more frustrating than it's worth, I'll sell my DVC points, leave this and other Disney discussion groups, and not look back. At the end of the day, WDW is a vacation; it's supposed to be fun.

It's getting to that point right now. What incentives are there for staying on property? Nothing really. 30 mins early into the parks? Didn't it used to be an hour? I believe Disney has used this pandemic to raise prices all across the board. Do away with FP and put in something similar like Universal - pay for it. Changing the menus, I don't think I'll be going back to O'hana for dinner anytime soon. to me, Disney is all about money. I realize they're a company and money is the bottom line. However, they're increasing the price for things being taken away. I'm hoping as time goes on, the magic for me will return. I also agree with this cancel culture. Improve on things yes, bring in new attractions/rides yes, but to change something just to appease a small amount of people.. no... Disney needs to stay out of politics period!

Cadbury

MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
video game good job GIF by MANGOTEETH

SteveAZee

Listening to others, I think I'll revise my answer. If Disney ends up being crowded (meaning hour long waits for most things) and moderates staffing, ride availability, park hours, etc. to keep it crowded, and gives no opportunity to spend a pleasant set of days at the parks regardless of season, planning fortitude, or $ spent, then I'd stop going. Yup, that would be it.

Runnin'Gator

I tapped out a few years ago.

I grew up going to Disney -- family had annual passes and we'd do a few weekend trips a year. After I graduated from college I had to wait a bit to have some disposable income, but I went back to getting annual passes. I ran quite a few runDisney races starting in 2010.

When annual passes hit somewhere around $650 I said enough. I stopped running the races because the cost was insane... I could run two or three half-marathons for the cost of one Disney half-marathon. My profession isn't exactly the highest-paying, so I decided to start putting that money into other more important things.

Inspired Figment

I’ve already stopped going to the CA & FL DisneyParks often due to the price increases & lesser incentives (along with poorer maintenance & less amount of live entertainment) , along with the further desecration of original/unique attractions in favor for more bland “ride the movies” IP Universal style rides. (Nothing against Universal btw. But I go to Universal for that type of thing, not Disney)
Last I was at WDW was February 2020 & DL (technically DCA for the ‘taste of’ event) last year I believe around March of this year.

For DL, if they got rid of Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, It’s a Small World and the Enchanted Tiki Room altogether.

When it comes to Walt Disney World;
For Magic Kingdom, same as Disneyland. But if they got rid of Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, and the PeopleMover, I’d stop going there. (As I’m a California native.. so there wouldn’t be much incentive for me to go back to Magic Kingdom otherwise)

EPCOT, if they got rid of Figment’s large presence in the Imagination ride altogether (back to another lazy film IP ride with a shoehorned cameo or not there at all), along with the possibility of getting rid of Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Impressions de France, all the classic staples really. (The getting rid of Figment one would ‘especially’ deter me from returning to EPCOT or WDW property again..)

DHS, if they got rid of Muppet Vision 3D.

I was never all that invested into Animal Kingdom oddly enough.. (despite me thinking it’s a beautifully designed park with some great attractions) so that park doesn’t have much effect on my desire to go back to WDW. But those would all be my ‘major’ breaking points, personally.

Last edited:

Mousse'

Cost for us is a huge factor and the constant pixarifcation of the resorts/ rides is another. Disney obviously wants a much more affluent clientele than we are a part of so that is starting to make us think we are not very welcome there anymore.
Great line on no longer feeling welcome, but I’d add you have to be the CORRECT kind of affluent… non-woke need not attend either…

seascape

I agree that over crowding is the biggest risk WDW faces. Disney should get around this by continuing to limit the number of guests in each park. They should also increase extra morning hours to 1 hour for all guests staying on property and in good neighborhood hotels. They should also have one park a night with 2 extra evening hours for the Deluxed resorts and DVC. This is a big benefit for those owning DVC's and that is why they eliminated the Moderates and Value resorts, it's a benefit of owning. Personally I would limit access to the parks to Annual Passholders, those staying onsite and good neighborhood hotels and others buying packages that include tickets and meals. (Lunch and Dinner) for 3 or more days staying elsewhere. There are just too many people in the parks and they need to make it more enjoyable for all even if that lowers attendance and increases prices. I am willing to pay more for a more enjoyable time.

Last edited:

Mousse'

Beyond what a lot of smart folks have already said, I’d say there are a lot of ”fixers” among us - the type of people who see something “wrong” and it drives them crazy. For me Disney used to be an escape:

-No lone light bulb out ruining the display.

-No overflowing trash can begging me to empty it.

-No having to make any real decisions or about planning an elaborate strategy to get close to the fun you used to have.

-No reminiscing endlessly about how things used to be better rather than about all the wonderful memories you made before (happy thoughts, vs mournful ones).

-And no walking back to the room at night grumbling and lamenting in your head that they’re killing the golden-egg-laying goose, and you’re debating how could someone be that dumb and short-sighted or have they just put someone insanely stupid in charge (…when you know dozens of a 22-year-olds who work for you, fresh out of college, who could run the whole thing better than the folks in charge.

FINALLY, your vacation turns into an ongoing emotional turmoil about if you should sell the stock and DVC now before the coming bottom falling out hits (…I THINK, when their vacation experience really degrades on the path it’s on, that stock price will tank. They can have all the revenue they want by becoming another Six Flags, but they fail to realize they will no longer be a worldwide/world-class destination, and that will be more of cement block than they realize.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom