What would it take for you to NOT go back?

ppete1975

I think when my parents are gone, ill quit going. There are too many memories that i have tied to being a little kid and spending time with them, and family vacations of the last 10 years as an adult. IF i need a disney fix ill prob go to disney land or paris. As far as disney, if its not fun then ill quit going. There are many beautiful interesting places in the world, but none take the stress of adulthood and make me feel like a kid again like disney does. And thats the magic for me.

Brad Bishop

I stopped going about 5 years back. I was an APer for about a 10-year stretch. Often I would stay on site and my general procedure was to pick a nice restaurant either in the parks or at one of the resorts for each evening's meal.

To understand my expectations:
- Yes it was expensive but they're nice parks
- Yes, I could probably get better food elsewhere cheaper but, generally speaking, the food was very good and the treatment by the employees was always nice.
- Overall it was: "A very nice experience at an elevated price." <- I could live with that.

Over the years leading up to the last time I went I noticed little things that were being cut:
- paper napkin replacing cloth napkins at the upscale restaurants
- things not being fixed
- re-occurring problems ( it was at the point where: If you want to make sure you don't miss your reservation then don't take the Monorail - you may be stuck on it).
- EMH dropping from 3 to 2 hours in the evening
- the quality of the food / meals was degrading
- trimming down street performers / shows
- no new attractions (I think Mission: Space was, at the time, the last one added and it was past 10 years - their attitude seems to be: why add attractions? People are lining up anyway!)

...basically, anywhere they could save a buck they'd try to save a buck.

At the same time the cost was going up on tickets, food, etc. Why not? People are still lining up at the gate.

I remember thinking, and I think I was at Le Cellier when this happened, "This is stupid expensive for the (degraded) quality of food and experience I'm getting. It's no longer "a nice experience at an elevated price" but a sub-par experience and a stupid price. I feel stupid paying for this. I'm not coming back." And I haven't.

I really think that they are just burning through nostalgia now. 10 years ago I was excited that the 50th was coming up and fully planned to be there. Now? I have no desire to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a sub-par experience. I think there are a good number of, "I love Disney!"-folks here that will, eventually, succumb to, "ok.. Now I feel stupid paying for this."

As someone else said, it's not that I can't afford it. I just no longer see the value in it. Over the last year or two I've seen some of the Disney bloggers start to choke on this, too. They seem to really love the parks and all that but will mention something close to, "This is getting stupid to pay based on what you're getting." It's usually very quick as to not upset the Disney gods who give them access but, yeah, you can see it happening.

Brad Bishop

I'm on here less and less. I check in once in a while when I hear some news from Disney. This time it was the Magic Key deal. Otherwise, no, I'm not on here daily or weekly.

I'm interested in amusement parks and theme parks in general. Epic Universe looks pretty incredible to me. The Super Mario Land that they've built in Japan looks amazing. They are really turning those parks around with new, really well done, lands and attractions.

ppete1975

I'm on here less and less. I check in once in a while when I hear some news from Disney. This time it was the Magic Key deal. Otherwise, no, I'm not on here daily or weekly.

I'm interested in amusement parks and theme parks in general. Epic Universe looks pretty incredible to me. The Super Mario Land that they've built in Japan looks amazing. They are really turning those parks around with new, really well done, lands and attractions.
I agree at the amazing ness of super nintendo world, though it looks so much smaller and cramped than i was expecting. If built in the US it would have to be larger or at least more spaced out.

Minnesota disney fan

I stopped going about 5 years back. I was an APer for about a 10-year stretch. Often I would stay on site and my general procedure was to pick a nice restaurant either in the parks or at one of the resorts for each evening's meal.

To understand my expectations:
- Yes it was expensive but they're nice parks
- Yes, I could probably get better food elsewhere cheaper but, generally speaking, the food was very good and the treatment by the employees was always nice.
- Overall it was: "A very nice experience at an elevated price." <- I could live with that.

Over the years leading up to the last time I went I noticed little things that were being cut:
- paper napkin replacing cloth napkins at the upscale restaurants
- things not being fixed
- re-occurring problems ( it was at the point where: If you want to make sure you don't miss your reservation then don't take the Monorail - you may be stuck on it).
- EMH dropping from 3 to 2 hours in the evening
- the quality of the food / meals was degrading
- trimming down street performers / shows
- no new attractions (I think Mission: Space was, at the time, the last one added and it was past 10 years - their attitude seems to be: why add attractions? People are lining up anyway!)

...basically, anywhere they could save a buck they'd try to save a buck.

At the same time the cost was going up on tickets, food, etc. Why not? People are still lining up at the gate.

I remember thinking, and I think I was at Le Cellier when this happened, "This is stupid expensive for the (degraded) quality of food and experience I'm getting. It's no longer "a nice experience at an elevated price" but a sub-par experience and a stupid price. I feel stupid paying for this. I'm not coming back." And I haven't.

I really think that they are just burning through nostalgia now. 10 years ago I was excited that the 50th was coming up and fully planned to be there. Now? I have no desire to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a sub-par experience. I think there are a good number of, "I love Disney!"-folks here that will, eventually, succumb to, "ok.. Now I feel stupid paying for this."

As someone else said, it's not that I can't afford it. I just no longer see the value in it. Over the last year or two I've seen some of the Disney bloggers start to choke on this, too. They seem to really love the parks and all that but will mention something close to, "This is getting stupid to pay based on what you're getting." It's usually very quick as to not upset the Disney gods who give them access but, yeah, you can see it happening.

You hit the nail on the head when you said, "I really think they are just burning through nostalgia now".
That is exactly the way we feel. But the nostalgia is wearing thin for us at this point, and that is sad.
We have no plans to return at this time, but if all gets back to being a value again, then maybe. We will try DL next year to try and find the magic again.
So, yes, I do think nostalgia is burning through alot of people, but for how long?

Cadbury

Thank you to all who are concerned that some of us are wasting our money on a vacation that no longer seems valuable to you. I am retired from a successful career that afforded me the ability to do whatever I want, whenever I want. There is no reason to feel bad for me and others like me. And, every day is a nice day!:)
Sincerely,
Naïve Sap
OK? Obviously my comment struck a nerve. Yeah, it's great you had success and good fortune in life but not many can say the same.

It's funny though, Disney is all about "inclusivity" these days and yet this hotel is something most families can't afford aside from wealthy retirees who like to come on here and gloat about their deep pockets.

Last edited:

Dinardo

For me - it’s nothing to do with Disney as a whole (other than price increases, but that’s a given every year).

For me, it’s when all my kids (3 total, family of 5) become “adult” age. That is when it becomes unaffordable for me.

skypilot2922

So many people filled with vitriol and saying they stopped going, or havent been in 10 years with no intention of going back. Why are you on a message board about it then? I dont understand.

It's simple Disney in the past through great experiences and superior customer service became their happy place, Now with high prices, upcharges and service that one would complain about at a motel 6 they no longer see the value in visiting WDW and many if not most can afford todays Disney prices but refuse to pay because they feel the value is no longer there.

They just want the pre-Iger Disney experience back and like minded people congregate here.

ppete1975

It's simple Disney in the past through great experiences and superior customer service became their happy place, Now with high prices, upcharges and service that one would complain about at a motel 6 they no longer see the value in visiting WDW and many if not most can afford todays Disney prices but refuse to pay because they feel the value is no longer there.

They just want the pre-Iger Disney experience back and like minded people congregate here.
I liked clean wholesome tv shows like leave it to beaver and andy griffith and i think black and white tv is really cool. Doesnt matter how much i complain or wish, that time is gone and never coming back.

I loved 1940-1960 vehicles with the chrome and artistic lines, but you will never see that again.

Disney is never going back to what it was. People need to realize it, and learn to appreciate whats left.

Minnesota disney fan

I liked clean wholesome tv shows like leave it to beaver and andy griffith and i think black and white tv is really cool. Doesnt matter how much i complain or wish, that time is gone and never coming back.

I loved 1940-1960 vehicles with the chrome and artistic lines, but you will never see that again.

Disney is never going back to what it was. People need to realize it, and learn to appreciate whats left.

ppete: I can see what you are saying and yes, everything changes.
However, Disney has set the standard high for years with great customer service, clean parks and resorts, excellent food, to name a few things. I don't feel it's too much to ask for the prices they are asking to have those same services again. I won't settle for a sub par experience (probably related to saving money and the much quoted pandemic), for the prices they are charging now. We shouldn't have to "settle for less" and accept that. I hope disney wakes up one day and realizes that customer service is what makes disney well, Disney.

KBLovedDisney

Heh...oh boy.

I may catch a lot of hate for this, but the thing that will make us stop going (or prolong another trip) is if this pandemic has a Round 2 on steroids...and also Disney closes.

tenor.gif
Scared Horror GIF

ppete1975

ppete: I can see what you are saying and yes, everything changes.
However, Disney has set the standard high for years with great customer service, clean parks and resorts, excellent food, to name a few things. I don't feel it's too much to ask for the prices they are asking to have those same services again. I won't settle for a sub par experience (probably related to saving money and the much quoted pandemic), for the prices they are charging now. We shouldn't have to "settle for less" and accept that. I hope disney wakes up one day and realizes that customer service is what makes disney well, Disney.
Thats my point. If you dont like it dont go. Vote with your wallet. I hate to say this but its like a restaurant. If you went there with your parents, then took your kids , and your grand kids then suddenly the food sucked. You would go a few times again to make sure it wasnt a bad one off. Then you might talk to a manager and say hey your food isnt the same as it was (in case they dont know). But then you have a choice. You can keep going due to nostalgia of what it once was, OR find a new place to eat. Instead people complain about what once was but they keep going. Personally my happiness outweighs my complaints, as long as thats the case ill keep going. As soon as it doesnt ill stop.

Please note im not directing this at you or anyone specifically. More of the people who complain yet go 10 times a year, or havent been in 10 years but still want to complain.

Minnesota disney fan

Thats my point. If you dont like it dont go. Vote with your wallet. I hate to say this but its like a restaurant. If you went there with your parents, then took your kids , and your grand kids then suddenly the food sucked. You would go a few times again to make sure it wasnt a bad one off. Then you might talk to a manager and say hey your food isnt the same as it was (in case they dont know). But then you have a choice. You can keep going due to nostalgia of what it once was, OR find a new place to eat. Instead people complain about what once was but they keep going. Personally my happiness outweighs my complaints, as long as thats the case ill keep going. As soon as it doesnt ill stop.

Please note im not directing this at you or anyone specifically. More of the people who complain yet go 10 times a year, or havent been in 10 years but still want to complain.
Actually, we have opted to not go until disney gets back to great customer service and gives a ROI for the price it charges. I hate saying that as I have always loved going to WDW. I think the nostalgia factor is going away for me.

ppete1975

Actually, we have opted to not go until disney gets back to great customer service and gives a ROI for the price it charges. I hate saying that as I have always loved going to WDW. I think the nostalgia factor is going away for me.
Totally fair, and I think the right decision. I hope that eventually it gets tougher on them and they take a step back to realize their mistakes, or different leaders. Currently though, with the million youtubers, instagrammers, first timers and out of country groups disney isnt hurting for koolaid people, as witnessed by the crowds. Add in "free money" via credit cards, and its the perfect storm, for lazy decisions and grab as much profit as you can greed.

Next year is my next and maybe last trip (it helped taking 8 years between visits), but i know its a different world now, than even the last time i went.

aliceismad

isnt it still a dirt pile? With no definitions on size of any areas. Until we are further along, im still going to say if lol. But you are right i should have said. When built in the us it needs to be larger or at least more spread out.
There were some site plans posted in some places last year, but obviously plans can change. I haven't seen a construction update in about a month. At that point I believe sources said Super Nintendo World was likely to be the first built.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I am not saying never again, but my family has no plans to go back in the foreseeable future. We went twice yearly for about a decade, but then the kiddo started high school and we haven’t been back. There’s just other places we want to visit and not enough time due to scheduling around school, extra curricular activities, and everybody’s work schedules. We have to plan so much in our regular life, that I just don’t feel like doing the planning anymore that is required for a Disney vacation.
We do miss Disney, but we have loved visiting other places and making new memories.

LaughingGravy

I had an opportunity in 2019 to do a one day, solo, in combination with a business trip, meaning hotel was already paid for as well as the flight. The value simply wasn't there. DL offers a better quality, longer hours, a cleaner experience all around and more attractions in a smaller space with more trees and places to sit, and there is a fraction of strollers getting in the way of everyplace compared to WDW. Transportation between parks should not take an hour out of one's expensive day, especially for what they are charging for the privilege to "park hop" in FL. Hop indicates something quick and easy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom