What would it take for you to NOT go back?

Walt Disney1955

The phrase cancel culture is so laughably overused. :rolleyes:

Not really. It is a very destructive ideology. Think about something such as the rare forms of stand up comedy that are left. And think about how different it was, say, 20 years ago. The mob destroys everything it targets. So if theme parks that were built by a man many just assume was a horrible human being is another target, then that wouldn't be fun to watch.

Scott10

This has been a very interesting read for me. My family wife and I honeymooned to Disney in 1997 and then as our first born turned 3, we enjoyed Disney every year from 2003-2012 (adding a second child in 2008) and returned in 2015 for what turned out to be our last trip. Our trips included staying on property at every, level from deluxe to value, enjoying the dining plan, extra magic hours, paper fast passes that turned into electronic fast passes In 2016, due in part to the cost difference between Disney and a beach trip, we began transitioning to a beach vacation family, but as our youngest has reached the age of 12 and talking about missing the days of Disney, we have really began thinking about a return trip possibly next summer. I completely understand that we will not see the Disney that we saw back in '15, and I see via many trip reports on this site, a lot of great reasons to make the return. However, this thread really makes one think about the pro's and con's!

SteveAZee

See, for me, this total shift toward prioritizing mobile order over the conventional waiting in line is something I love. We had a seamless experience using Mobile Order last week. I think the longest we waited was 10 minutes after we hit "I'm here". I hope this is a permanent change.
I would think it is, or at least as permanent as anything can be at Disney. ;)

We used it a few times in October of 2019 (pre-pandemic) and enjoyed it also. It's a win for guests and a win for Disney, so it's likely to remain.

ELG13

This has been a very interesting read for me. My family wife and I honeymooned to Disney in 1997 and then as our first born turned 3, we enjoyed Disney every year from 2003-2012 (adding a second child in 2008) and returned in 2015 for what turned out to be our last trip. Our trips included staying on property at every, level from deluxe to value, enjoying the dining plan, extra magic hours, paper fast passes that turned into electronic fast passes In 2016, due in part to the cost difference between Disney and a beach trip, we began transitioning to a beach vacation family, but as our youngest has reached the age of 12 and talking about missing the days of Disney, we have really began thinking about a return trip possibly next summer. I completely understand that we will not see the Disney that we saw back in '15, and I see via many trip reports on this site, a lot of great reasons to make the return. However, this thread really makes one think about the pro's and con's!
Your disney timeline is similar to ours. Our last trip with paper fastpasses was in 2009. We planned a quick trip for our daughters 6th bday, we even got her in for free that day because they were running the "get in free on your bday" promo. Can you imagine that now?!? It's crazy to think. I have a picture of her hula hooping on main street as we waiting for the fireworks to start. This was end of June. No insane crowds, no people camping out spots for hours for the show. To us it still felt busy. It was a huge culture shock going back 9 years later. It's progressively gotten more and more chaotic. We live on the beach. We prices out a beach vacation and disney was still a little cheaper for us but I think we decided that next year we will do 5 days at the beach and try and get a few 2 day trips in with our pop up to the fort when crowds are "lower" (😂😂😂 lower crowds).

correcaminos

When we stop feeling the magic. When the trips become so scheduled it is no longer fun. I'm at a crossroads. I plan to keep going using my DVC and AP, but if it is hard to switch parks as it was our last trip and park hopping stays at 2pm along with epcot opening at 11, we'll eventually see ourselves out.

adimond

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
- supposedly Yogi Berra

Come now...let's not kid ourselves that anyone who would repeatedly post on a message board called wdwmagic.com is even capable of following through on their threats to stay away forever. We would all be forced to find some more interesting interest to spend our idle hours complainingobsessing about!

My serious answer: barring some real-world apocalypse, I'll always stop by WDW at least once or twice per decade no matter what they do...provided only that the Haunted Mansion there stays substantially intact. Country Bear Jamboree is another red line I'd like to draw, but I would probably still come back and just be bummed out about it while walking along the river down my favorite stretch of Magic Kingdom. Another heartbreaker/almost-dealbreaker (though there have been times when it has seemed sadly plausible) would be if they ever were to give up completely on the monorail and demolish or simply mothball it.

I'm a wee bit anxious about what they might do with Spaceship Earth (or for that matter Living with the Land).
I'm already distraught over most of the rest of Epcot.
I'm sad about the Splash Mountain situation but not because I have some stupid right-wing axe to grind.
I'm ambivalent toward recent attractions: Flight of Passage may be the high point of the whole simulator era, for what that's worth, or at least the best Orlando ride since Spider-Man; Rise is another home run but with a logistical asterisk; Tron looks short but sweet (and is an addition for once, rather than a replacement); but most of the other changes in the past 23 or so years were far worse than these newer investments...so it's a mixed bag, but I think the trajectory is partly positive.
And I'm as annoyed by prices and crowds as anyone else (though in a free market I'm not sure we can rationally object to both at the same time).
But still, as long as there's a shiny geosphere to gawk at, and a U.N. general assembly of adult beverages to circumambulate, and happy haunts to receive my sympathetic vibrations, you can count me in.

ELG13

I think a lot of my issues are more covid related. Right now with revenge travel, crowds are gonna be crazy. Pre covid though, I could do my homework and book a week with manageable crowds and a solid discount. Now mind you, I read all the forums and blogs and try to be ready and waiting when discounts drop and will check several times a day if I wasn't able to get it right away. I enjoy the planning part. I look forward to it even. But I can understand how some people may not like that. I'm not a fan of the paid fastpass per ride situation that just dropped in Paris. It feels...I don't know....icky? I don't mind how my friends get the max pass or whatever it's called in orlando for unlimited passes. They stay deluxe and it's included. However the "deluxe" they stay in is ~250 a night so...............there's that lol.

mrg1106

In the Parks
No
Removal of iconic attractions/rides and/or bad customer service. Mostly the latter but I never thought I'd miss Snow White's Scary Adventures over the past couple years. I was also sad about Mr. Toad leaving WDW but I love Pooh bear.

adamparanoia

It's already happened (and I'm a die-hard fan) The way things are headed, investing less and charging more. Management should be running six flags, not a disney resort. Since lockdown, I bought an annual pass to universal hollywood and have thought very little of disneyland. Universal is already beating Disney at their own game with the secret life of pets dark ride.

Skibum1970

Aside from cheering on your avatar (right word?), I would maybe bake a couple days at UNI/IOA and stay at their hotels that offer free Universal Express. Mixing the two resorts provide different experiences and UNI/IOA has more true thrill rides. I still prefer Disney overall but always make time for at least IOA. I think that it would really offer a well-rounded trip. We have been doing one day at IOA and then the rest of our time at Disney. The cost of UNI Express Pass makes staying at their hotels into a huge value-add.

I will be interested to go in 2022 when the Magical Express is gone and to see what the overall feel of the resort is like. This year, we went in February and it felt different due to the COVID restrictions. I just wonder if it will still feel different next year. Again, I stated earlier that price is the biggest detractor for me. We do have a threshold that, once crossed, would probably cause us to rethink trips to Disney. It already impacts not going there twice in one year (true first world problems).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom