What would be your splurge merch purchase if money was (sort of) no object?

Rickcat96

prices ranged from $700 to 2k depending on the size, was in Disney Springs this May, and they still had several so good luck. Everyone who see's them in our house-love them.

Edit- sorry- my quotes didn't work for some reason- this was in response to Thomas Kinkade painting.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Happy upcoming 50th.
Oh this is easy. Every trip we go into Art of Disney and I always splurge by buying myself some figurine or Disney piece that costs a lot more than just a typical souvenir. I justify it by saying I work hard, I deserve a treat, and its something I normally wouldnt get for myself. I never regret the expense or what I bring home. Those things although expensive are affordable for me.
Now if money were no object... I always look over the original paintings that are displayed on the walls. Most of these paintings go for a few thousand dollars. Never could I hope to bring one home.
For a suggestion I'd say get a figurine of a favorite character or attraction you can display in your home. Last trip I got a nice displayable Monorail. You can for example find some nice HM ones in Momento Mori in MK, that run just a couple of hundred. I recently picked up the 3 Hitchhiking ghost figurine.
Thank you, and we are on the same page.
View attachment 582617

Happy 50th Tony
Humm I am also in the " not a lot of stuff"group BUT. I'm a huge pocketbook fanatic. Coach has a Disney bag I would say no too. Runs about 700 bucks.
There is also Disney jewelry line that I could suffer and wear.
View attachment 582626
Thank you, and we are on...different pages - but I appreciate your taste!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

My husband wants a light saber, and my daughter wants a droid. :greedy:

Personally, I prefer tea cups and maybe a couple of pins to stick on my cubicle walls (if I ever go back to the office). My splurge is PhotoPass. We never get photos taken, so having them from Disney is special for me.
Thank you, and I did think of PhotoPass for a moment. It's been on the back burner of my brain. I'll research the cost (even though it would be on points) and figure out if we'd want to bother. It's just the two of us, I often dislike pictures of myself. But it is a special occasion, and I might not look this hot much longer. ;)

Plan B for that is what we did for our 10 year anniversary: use Photopass, and then just buy the handful of them that we actually like, and it's a lot less expensive than Photopass for 1,000 pics that are "meh."

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And
Greeting Happy Birthday GIF by macniten

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Tons of Disney stock, so I could have enough influence to vote Chapek off the island.

Other than making sure I have at least one presentable Disney parks Tshirt in my wardrobe, I'm not really into the merchandise they sell especially since the offerings have become more generic.
For the past few years, I've been wanting to get one with the "1971" on it. But I am so picky and so cheap, that I never found one "worth" getting.

That's top of my list for a smaller purchase on this trip!

ETA: and I'd be perfectly satisfied if that's all I end up with! I'm not going to spend for the sake of spending. But if something grabs me, I'll try not to rule it out based on price.

I've also always wanted to get the playsets for my nephews/nieces, but some are entering the "I'm too old for this" temporary phase.

Last edited:

Karakasa

Samurai-Mickey.jpg

iu

Not sure which, but one of these samurai Mickeys... Not sure if either are available anymore though, but I know the first I've seen on eBay.

There was also a really beautiful painting of Mulan either in armor or her clothing from the end of the movie (forget which) on her horse looking incredibly gallant. I can't seem to find a picture of it. It was for sale in the Animation gift shop at Hollywood Studios some 8 or so years ago. Wasn't just the original movie poster either...

Edit: I'm gonna echo using your points on something you wouldn't normally do though. A tour or a more pricey table service restaurant, maybe.

Club Cooloholic

I thought this might be a fun "fantasy-ish" discussion, low stakes, no reason to have arguments LOL.

We are heading up for a few nights. When we wake up in our Fort Wilderness cabin on Tuesday, I will be 50 years old (and then we have to drive right home because someone other than myself has school that day. ) :hilarious:

This entire trip (in true "Two Broke Guys & A Dog" fashion, if you've ever seen our TR's) is completely covered by Disney Chase Visa Rewards points - the room, the park tickets, the Boo Bash tickets, the dinners, snacks - everything.

With all that, we will still have a good amount of DCR points left. The plan is when we get home, whatever remains, we will put down on booking our first DCL cruise next September for our 15 year wedding anniversary. (@wannabeBelle I think we need to finally chat about this!)

Given all that, I started thinking...it's my 50th birthday, we've [all] had a heck of a year and a half. If I wanted to treat myself (as if the trip itself wasn't treat enough) when I have one of those moments where I walk into a store and ooh and ahh over something and think, "I love it but I'd never spend X dollars on that..." I may give myself permission to pull the trigger this time. Heck, it won't cost "real money," anyway. And it will commemorate my 50th birthday (and WDW's) for the rest of my life.

I have no idea what the item might be, but just opening my mind to that possibility (which I really never do) will make things fun and interesting.

It needn't be expensive. It might just be a sweatshirt I think is in no way worth $60, but I'll get it anyway. OTOH, it could be expensive!

I'm not huge on souvenirs. If I get household items (like picture frames) they tend to have a more subtle Disney design rather than something that looks...vacation-y. My mind initially goes to the Art of Disney store in Epcot with all the animation art, so something like that is a possibility. For 20 years, I've looked in that store, taken my time admiring everything (I used to want to be a cartoonist when I was younger) and just knew there was no chance I'd ever buy anything other than the small drawings near the front - but it was fun to look!

It could also be something for Christmas that we'd take out every year. We already buy an ornament either every trip or every year, so that would make sense, too.

But it doesn't have to make too much sense!

So the question is twofold: if money were pretty much no object (but we're not talking $10K here) what merch would you splurge on (for yourself) at a store - either in the parks, at a resort, or DS?

And if you feel like it, make a recommendation for me to look at something (which would rule out handbags and what not LOL.)
Popcorn buckets. Some are so cool but I can never justify the cost.

Namaari

I will look-see!

100% agree about experiences, and that was my first thought - but pretty much nothing is happening right now! V&A is closed (been once, loved it.) None of the behind-the-scenes tours or the Food & Wine pairing luncheons or the chef's tables are going on. It's bare bones Disney! Now, granted, we will make our own good time, and I considered the Boo Bash to be one of those splurges we wouldn't normally pay for; plus so far we have Citricos, Topolino's, and BOAThouse on the agenda. I was really hoping the sommelier room would be open at Citricos by now. But we'll order good stuff and ask for wine pairing recommendations.

You know, I am a huge Star Wars nut from day one. Yet, I hadn't considered this. I will consider this. These may be the droids I'm looking for. (And the nephews and nieces will dig it when they visit.) Ooh...but they must have Star Wars art, combining the Art of Disney idea and Star Wars...oh, now you've got me going hunting.

But think how many uses you'd get out of it!!!
Topolino's is on our list to try this year too, definitely looking forward to it! We went to Boathouse 3 years ago the last time we visited WDW and thought it was just ok, but I would say try it out since a lot could have changed since then. I hope more stuff will open up as it gets closer to the 50th Anniversary so we can try new things!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Ooh ooh! I just remembered all the brightly painted things in Mexico that always catch my eye! That will be a "stop to look" for sure. (And then depending how we do in La Cava, who knows what I'll buy?! In fact - there's a splurge right there, a nice sipping glass of Ocho Anejo.)

Happy Birthday!

My wife has grabbed some really cool and not crazy expensive snow globes along the way.
Thanks! And...for some reason I'm afraid of myself buying *one* snow globe. I have a feeling it will turn into another collection LOL.
My last impulse buy was seeing the Mickey-Goofy-Donald-Humphrey totem pole in the WL gift shop. I had to buy one right there.
40843.jpg
Adorable.
Topolino's is on our list to try this year too, definitely looking forward to it! We went to Boathouse 2 years ago the last time we visited WDW and thought it was just ok, but I would say try it out since a lot could have changed since then. I hope more stuff will open up as it gets closer to the 50th Anniversary so we can try new things!
We loved Topolino's last September. So again re: "make your own good time," it's booked for my bday eve, right at fireworks time. Hoping to get a table outdoors, otherwise we'll just go out and watch. I know that will be another great meal, and I might get an extra entree to take back to the room!

BOAThouse is not booked yet, but I'm leaning heavily in that direction for Saturday afternoon lunch. That's a non-park day, and everyone raves about the lobster roll, which I would never typically pay their price for. (See, there are all these mini-splurges along the way! I appreciate every one of them.) On this trip, I'll pay it. Saturday night dinner is still up in the air. Maybe we'll score a nice resort dinner at the last minute. (I try not to overplan, and leave room for happy accidents.)

Ayla

Not sure how much of a splurge it is but I'd probably visit the shops in Epcot and buy a fragrance. I like coming home and thinking of my trip whenever I wear a perfume I bought while on vacation.
My favorite Disney souvenir is a perfume bottle from France engraved with my name. It's been empty for close to 10 years, but it still sits on my dresser.

Happy 50th birthday, Tony! My birthday is Monday. :)

Ayla

Happy Birthday!

My wife has grabbed some really cool and not crazy expensive snow globes along the way. I wasn't crazy about them at first, but now find myself really enjoying a stroll past the mantle just to see whatever castle or character diorama is currently on display.

Beyond that, our souvenir dollars tend to be spent on pins for the boys and apparel that eventually fades or wears out. We did but a few 2020 items at Thanksgiving to keep, but it was mostly stationary and commemorative ears.

Yes! My gym bag used to be stocked with "free" H2O products from DCL. Looking forward to "restocking" when it's safe to do so.
For people who are driving, snow globes are fine, but you can't carry them on a plane.

yankspy

One of the pricey lightsabers not that i would have much use for it. I also am an experience guy. I’d rather do a fireworks cruise or V&A. We splurged on massages once which were like $350 if I remember correctly. There was one year where we were in the studios in October and it was just one of those odd cold and windy days. We were all in shorts with no jackets so we stopped and all got jackets. $400 later we were finally warm.

Ayla

For the past few years, I've been wanting to get one with the "1971" on it. But I am so picky and so cheap, that I never found one "worth" getting.

That's top of my list for a smaller purchase on this trip!

ETA: and I'd be perfectly satisfied if that's all I end up with! I'm not going to spend for the sake of spending. But if something grabs me, I'll try not to rule it out based on price.

I've also always wanted to get the playsets for my nephews/nieces, but some are entering the "I'm too old for this" temporary phase.
I don't know if they still make it, but another one for me is the monorail that goes around a Christmas tree. Totally impractical, ridiculously priced...but fun. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom