What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

KBLovedDisney

Lately, I just have so much trouble justifying the soaring prices versus the value we would get in return for a vacation. Let alone, the nonstop planning. Don't get me wrong, the planning in the past added to the excitement. Now, it just seems so troublesome and nitpicky that even the thought of planning a trip now sounds more like a headache rather than pre-trip planning excitement like it used to be. I know we could very well get the assistance of a Travel Planner, but I still don't want to have to keep checking my phone for plans on top of plans to get everything out of the stay at the Disney theme park. Yes, I know I don't have to invest in the spiffy Genie addition or whatever it is but at the same time it is like if you don't invest in it then you will not get a lot of your vacation that you paid thousands for a week stay.

This just is too much anymore for a relaxing Disney theme park vacation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lately, I just have so much trouble justifying the soaring prices versus the value we would get in return for a vacation. Let alone, the nonstop planning. Don't get me wrong, the planning in the past added to the excitement. Now, it just seems so troublesome and nitpicky that even the thought of planning a trip now sounds more like a headache rather than pre-trip planning excitement like it used to be. I know we could very well get the assistance of a Travel Planner, but I still don't want to have to keep checking my phone for plans on top of plans to get everything out of the stay at the Disney theme park. Yes, I know I don't have to invest in the spiffy Genie addition or whatever it is but at the same time it is like if you don't invest in it then you will not get a lot of your vacation that you paid thousands for a week stay.

The idea that you have to pay for a line upgrade and then it fills at 7 in the morning is pretty repulsive. I did that virtual queue for the broken Star Wars ride twice and found it awfully distasteful. The idea that it is mandatory or you take your chances on 2 hour snake queues is the worst park management I’ve ever seen. Like six flags on the Fourth of July or cedar point on a Saturday bad. Unsustainable.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Over the years (coming up on my 49th year of visiting WDW) I've 'optimized' for different things when visiting. Money spent or crowd sizes or weather or a variety of things. Now that I'm older, it's a matter of comfort. I don't like standing for long periods or walking great distances and I'm currently disinclined to get some sort of mobility device if things get worse.

"What will it take" to stop going? If the system (FP+, G+, rope drop, EEH, etc) leaves me no choice but to stand or walk for long periods, I will stop going.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster

This is a great explanation of my feelings about the WDW experience for the last 10+ years. I know a lot of people loved FP+, but the incessant planning, and need to stare at your phone to optimize a Disney vacation is something I despised. I'm not saying others should feel how I did, but I much prefer the standby queue process. The 10 to 1 FP vs standby queue ratio is something I found repulsive because it just made the standby queues about 4 times longer than they needed to be. I understand that people with more limited mobility found it better, and others were good at optimizing FP, but overall I think for guests in general it was a net negative experience. That's my opinion anyway. Standing in the queue and searching for your next FP was frickin' boring. I just found it to be a more negative experience. I've not yet experienced the new process, but it sounds like a horror show which leads me to the next comment I agree with...
The idea that you have to pay for a line upgrade and then it fills at 7 in the morning is pretty repulsive. I did that virtual queue for the broken Star Wars ride twice and found it awfully distasteful. The idea that it is mandatory or you take your chances on 2 hour snake queues is the worst park management I’ve ever seen. Like six flags on the Fourth of July or cedar point on a Saturday bad. Unsustainable.
Totally agree with this.

IMO they should just sell a very limited number of "Golden Tickets" per day to the public. With a Golden Ticket you get to use the lighting lane on every ride without limitation. Make it extremely limited and cost prohibitive like $500/day per person. That way the "Haves" can take advantage of their privilege, the general public has much shorter Standby lines, and Disney still gets their $$. I just hate the hassle of hiding the additional cost with lots of individual costs that you rack up. Stop nickle and diming, and just get your money from those who can afford to give it. Just my opinion though.

surfsupdon

With the non renewal of my annual pass and it expiring at the end of the month, I will not have access to the Parks and my trips will greatly decrease.

I will still have my annual Senior Trip, but there is a part of me that wants to even stop that trip. because I do not believe in the product any longer.

I will still continue to do a runDisney race weekend, but those don't always include park tickets.

It's a tough decision, but I am getting better value elsewhere.

Hitchens

The avarice & cowardice of Bob Chapek & other Disney leaders. Here is the end of a column ...

By Todd Regan (AKA, "Dusty Sage") on Micechat.com:​

.... [Disneyland Resort] parks are currently celebrating Women’s History Month. A stage in Downtown Disney has a bright yellow banner exclaiming “Reimagine Tomorrow” and “Celebrate Her Story.”
So, it would be hard to imagine that a company with such robust support for all of its customers and employees would actually be funding politicians who are actively trying to harm these very same people. And yet, that’s what the Disney Company is doing. They are saying one thing and actively doing another.

You may have heard that Florida has proposed what is being called a “Don’t say gay” bill, and it looks like it could become state law. But what does that have to do with Disney? More than you might think… as Disney has donated to every single sponsor and co-sponsor of this bigoted and hurtful legislation!!!

What makes this all worse is that so many LGBTQ+ employees are being forced to move from their Disney jobs in safe and supportive California to this painfully hurtful environment in Florida… OR LOSE THEIR JOBS! Disney leaders Bob Chapek and Josh D’Amaro were quite vocal on political issues in California that kept the parks closed during a pandemic, hurting their profits. It ignited their passion to move as many jobs out of California as possible. The company is well into the process of moving almost all of the Parks, Experiences and Products division jobs out of California to a new development in Lake Nona Florida as we speak. Thousands of employees have already lost their jobs as a result. All to save some money on labor and get a tax break from Florida.

Where does the company stand in all of this? Have they demanded their money back from the bigots who so clearly violate every principle Disney pretends to stand for these days? Has Bob Chapek stood up on his platform of power to call upon Florida to respect all people? NO!

Instead, Disney has put out statements simply acknowledging the hurt, reiterating their policies, but not addressing the fact that they are enabling these hurtful actions through their donations. They claim that they give to both sides. It’s pay for play. They are essentially bribing politicians to get a tax break. In criminal law, if you aid someone in a crime you implicate yourself as well. So doing something wrong just to make more money is still doing something wrong. Leaders of public companies often times get so wrapped up in making money for demanding (and often morally bankrupt) shareholders and board members, that they forget that they also have a duty to their customers AND employees as well!

Disney is trying to claim that Bob Chapek doesn’t comment on political issues. But that is simply hogwash. He trashed Californian publicly simply because they were trying to save lives, and yet he seems just fine donating millions to bigots in a state he’d like a tax break from. He also just pulled his company’s movies from Russia on political grounds (which we applaud). So the Florida decision is clearly his preference. He has directed the company to say that they support their gay and lesbian guests and employees, but then put money directly into the pockets of politicians who want to harm those very same people. AND, mind you, FORCE gay employees to move to Florida in the middle of this terrible time.

Where is the compassion, Bob? Where is the outrage, Josh? Where are the demands that Florida do the right thing or you’ll move your jobs out of the state (as you did in California)?

Here is the public comment Disney is willing to share, the same they gave to ABC News:
“We understand how important this issue is to our LGBTQ+ employees and many others. For nearly a century, Disney has been a unifying force that brings people together. We are determined that it remains a place where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. The biggest impact we can have in creating a more inclusive world is through the inspiring content we produce, the welcoming culture we create here, and the diverse community organizations we support, including those representing the LGBTQ+ community.”

If we are to take Disney at their word, and given the current situation and the precarious position so many Disney employees are in, we think it’s only right that Disney put its money where its mouth is and do the right thing: 1) Make a public statement rebuking Florida’s hateful legislation. 2) Demand donations be returned from those supporting the bill. 3) Allow LGBTQ+ employees to remain in Californian and not force employees to move to Florida under this hostile environment. We believe the company’s own HR policies can also be used to justify allowing employees to stay here anyway, and we encourage all of Disney’s employees who feel uncomfortable moving to Florida to file HR complaints on the grounds that it’s a hostile environment.

This is more than a political issue, it’s a moral one. Is Disney going to live by the principles and policies they claim guide them, or are they going to say all the right things in public, but then use their money to empower evil?

Disney is a big company, it can take them a while to act, and I really thought they were working themselves toward doing the right thing. But they seem to be doubling down on doublespeak and deception, using empty words while stuffing the pockets of bigots. Keep that in mind as you read future statements from Disney that profess to care about the pain and suffering their employees are feeling. Because until Disney actually demands that money back, draws a line in the sand for Florida, and provides a safe alternative for their LGBTQ+ employees, Disney is just as much at fault as the hate-mongers in the Florida legislature they are so warmly embracing.

I’ll be closely watching the Disney shareholder meeting this week for any sign that a single board member had a spine, or a conscience. I suspect they are all driven solely by money and have no concern whatsoever about ethics or even the company’s own written principles. But I hope I’m wrong.

JIMINYCR

Overcrowding and Disneys unwillingness to address it and as a consequence ruin my trip. As it worsens, it will detract from our enjoyment and have a perilous affect to achieving what we used to be able to do in a day. Of all the choices this one will be my primary cause for abandoning Disney. But there are many aspects of the other choices that will definitely add on to that, breaking the camels back. Some items I can work around and still be able to justify a trip back. Some like attractions leaving and the park conditions have already been experienced yet I still enjoyed my entire trip.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I will stop going when I stop enjoying my trips.
^^This. We went 4 times during the pandemic and have 2 trips already planned for this year, and may add a third. We still see the value to us, but understand that we are different travelers than most.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually, since all 4 parks are available to certain resort guests everyday 1/2 early, you can knock out the bigger rides before the park even opens to regular guests. We are there for 9 days normally, so hit each park in the morning twice. The nighttime hours are available a few times as well, and people have been reporting that the parks are a lot less crowded before closing, so you can knock some of them out then. Always options.

I won't argue that the park management systems absolutely suck, because they do, and I understand if the only reason you are visiting WDW is to go on rides, then it loses some of the luster. But if you are like us, and visit for everything else and the rides are actually secondary, you can still have a great time without spending an extra nickel. This next trip we'll be going without buying Genie+ on any day, and we'll see how it goes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, since all 4 parks are available to certain resort guests everyday 1/2 early, you can knock out the bigger rides before the park even opens to regular guests. We are there for 9 days normally, so hit each park in the morning twice. The nighttime hours are available a few times as well, and people have been reporting that the parks are a lot less crowded before closing, so you can knock some of them out then. Always options.

I won't argue that the park management systems absolutely suck, because they do, and I understand if the only reason you are visiting WDW is to go on rides, then it loses some of the luster. But if you are like us, and visit for everything else and the rides are actually secondary, you can still have a great time without spending an extra nickel. This next trip we'll be going without buying Genie+ on any day, and we'll see how it goes.
This has been kicked around…you can’t do 1 thing and maybe queue up a second. Just don’t pee.

It’s just time and distance and it involves being out of your room at 7-7:30…later than work for many these days.

It’s ok…but it’s not offsetting the crunch.
They have no answer for the crunch. $150 a day for tickets and 1 ride, a bogged down inventory control, plus long standby waits seems rather outdated.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This has been kicked around…you can’t do 1 thing and maybe queue up a second. Just don’t pee.

It’s just time and distance and it involves being out of your room at 7-7:30…later than work for many these days.

It’s ok…but it’s not offsetting the crunch.
They have no answer for the crunch. $150 a day for tickets and 1 ride, a bogged down inventory control, plus long standby waits seems rather outdated.
And for some people, that kills it for them. We are DVC, have APs, and drive down for our trips so we have a car for out of WDW trips and to avoid the buses if we want. I'm up around 5am for work everyday, and can't sleep in when on vacation. We are rope drop people and will gladly take advantage of the 1/2 hour extra every day. If the lines are longer than we like, we'll skip them that morning, and either go on a different day, or see what happens at night. We always take an long afternoon break, and never do a park open to close.

Again, we know that people are spending a bunch more than we are to visit, and want to get every dollar of value for their trip. We just vacation differently than they do so it's still a good value for us.

Disstevefan1

Everything in the poll is already happening :) but I voted other -
Mine is park pass reservations and it has stopped me.
I know, I know, it's here to stay.
Maybe we will stop in once a year to attend one of the overpriced hard ticket events..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And for some people, that kills it for them. We are DVC, have APs, and drive down for our trips so we have a car for out of WDW trips and to avoid the buses if we want. I'm up around 5am for work everyday, and can't sleep in when on vacation. We are rope drop people and will gladly take advantage of the 1/2 hour extra every day. If the lines are longer than we like, we'll skip them that morning, and either go on a different day, or see what happens at night. We always take an long afternoon break, and never do a park open to close.

Again, we know that people are spending a bunch more than we are to visit, and want to get every dollar of value for their trip. We just vacation differently than they do so it's still a good value for us.
Yeah…i’m familiar with that bio.
It’s “something”…no doubt

But it is nowhere close to good resource management.

You should want more for your frequent trips, by the way…than having them tell
You your limits before you walk into any park/hotel.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yeah…i’m familiar with that bio.
It’s “something”…no doubt

But it is nowhere close to good resource management.

You should want more for your frequent trips, by the way…than having them tell
You you’re limits before you walk into any park/hotel.
Not sure what limits you are talking about. Care to elaborate?

Vegas Disney Fan

Everything in the poll is already happening :) but I voted other -
Mine is park pass reservations and it has stopped me.
I know, I know, it's here to stay.
Maybe we will stop in once a year to attend one of the overpriced hard ticket events..

We’ve been DL APs for a decade, we decided today were not renewing next year, we can’t get reservations so they are essentially a waste of money. It feels like breaking up.

We’ll do the same as you, go a few times a year paying day prices but it won’t be the same.

Between the reservation system and G+ we are getting closer to being done with the parks every day. The magic isn’t gone but it’s fading.

Californian Elitist

I haven't been to Disneyland, my home park, in over two years, and before the last visit, I had gone maybe twice the year before. I'm personally insulted by these excess costs for things that were once free, as well as subpar new park offerings. I won't say that I'll never go back, because I will, but I have no desire to return anytime soon, nor tour the parks like I used to in general.

I'm going to MK for the first time for one day in May, but that's only because my friend's bachelorette's festivities will be out there, and I figured I would stop by, since I'll already be there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom