What will happen when the Skyliner breaks down?

World_Showcase_Lover007

And our host of the boards has expressly asked multiple times that the doom and gloom discussion cease with regards to the gondolas.

Why? And why does it matter what they ask? Are these “forums” not a forum for free and open discussion? Cannot I not give genuine feedback?

Are we merely able to offer an opinion if it conforms to certain expectations? I may think that the gondolas are awful, so it is my prerogative to speak what I feel.

lazyboy97o

Why? And why does it matter what they ask? Are these “forums” not a forum for free and open discussion? Cannot I not give genuine feedback?

Are we merely able to offer an opinion if it conforms to certain expectations? I may think that the gondolas are awful, so it is my prerogative to speak what I feel.

thomas998

These videos show you exactly what would happen if they ever had to do an evacuation.

In short, there is a comprehensive evacuation plan for all parts of the route in the event of an emergency condition that required an evacuation.

I'm sure it wouldn't be extremely difficult to get fully mobile healthy adults off the Gondola if it were to ever get stuck... but then the question is how hard would it be if the guest were scooter bound? Or if the Gondola is over the alligator infested water? I know from one map it appears that some of the lines will be over water and given they are going to be all along the line there would likely be some number of gondolas stuck over water where a rescue truck isn't going to be driving.

eliza61nyc

I think it might fall under "beating a dead horse" category. threads tend to have a "life span", after a while, (lol I find it's after the 10th page) the topic has cease to be informative or even a discussion.

We really have beat the topic of the bad gondolas to death. time for it to be buried.

When the gondolas break down, I don't think it will be much different than when the monorails break down, at the very worst we'll have the rescue situation that was in the previous posters youtube or like you see when folks unfortunately get stuck on a rollercoaster.

It could be worse, anyone see that story when folks got stuck on the loop section of a coaster and had to hang upside down? YIKES!!

Heppenheimer

I think it might fall under "beating a dead horse" category. threads tend to have a "life span", after a while, (lol I find it's after the 10th page) the topic has cease to be informative or even a discussion.

We really have beat the topic of the bad gondolas to death. time for it to be buried.

When the gondolas break down, I don't think it will be much different than when the monorails break down, at the very worst we'll have the rescue situation that was in the previous posters youtube or like you see when folks unfortunately get stuck on a rollercoaster.

It could be worse, anyone see that story when folks got stuck on the loop section of a coaster and had to hang upside down? YIKES!!
Yeah, I've been stuck on a ski gondola for over an hour. It was boring, but my life was somehow not ruined by the experience.

NormC

This has already been discussed ad nauseam in the actual gondola thread and the moderators and site owner have asked people to stop.

@The Mom @wdwmagic

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I can say that I got stuck on the monorail once for probably an hour or so between Contemporary and the TTC and it SUCKED and I mean BAD! What's really lame for me is that a couple of weeks ago I got stuck for a second on Aerosmith and I got SUUUUUUUUUUUUPER panicky feeling and didn't realize that I've really developed some claustrophobia as I've gotten older. So hopefully if I ever do get stuck on a gondola it won't be that bad of an experience. Oh but as far as "what will happen" if they break down? Well, FASTPASSES FOR EVERYONE, OF COURSE! LOL!

mdcpr

A lot of people will have to wait to get rescued.
Then will come the stories of how Disney ruined their vacations, scared their princess/prince, etc.
And they will probably demand some sort of monetary compensation, maybe even threaten legal action.
Just my guess.
Maybe it wasn't meant to be funny, but it made me laugh. I'm sure if someone from WDW just read this, a sign about 'at your own risk' will show up somewhere.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Living up in Canada’s mountain country, gondolas are nothing new for us. There have been times skiing (although not that often), when the gondola will stop for 15 or 20 min, or in rare cases, people have to be painstakingly “rescued” from them when they breakdown.
I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a 20 min stoppage would be with 10 people in one of these and no a/c in 100 degree heat.
Has anyone heard of the emergency procedure when (not if) this happens?

The gene pool will be improved for heat tolerance.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Living up in Canada’s mountain country, gondolas are nothing new for us. There have been times skiing (although not that often), when the gondola will stop for 15 or 20 min, or in rare cases, people have to be painstakingly “rescued” from them when they breakdown.
I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a 20 min stoppage would be with 10 people in one of these and no a/c in 100 degree heat.
Has anyone heard of the emergency procedure when (not if) this happens?
People will die. Obviously.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm sure it wouldn't be extremely difficult to get fully mobile healthy adults off the Gondola if it were to ever get stuck... but then the question is how hard would it be if the guest were scooter bound? Or if the Gondola is over the alligator infested water? I know from one map it appears that some of the lines will be over water and given they are going to be all along the line there would likely be some number of gondolas stuck over water where a rescue truck isn't going to be driving.

I assume people in scooters/wheelchairs will be carried off without their scooter. The only large body of water the gondola pass over is Hourglass Lake, and we have seen the special rescue boat that was build for just this purpose.

thomas998

I assume people in scooters/wheelchairs will be carried off without their scooter. The only large body of water the gondola pass over is Hourglass Lake, and we have seen the special rescue boat that was build for just this purpose.
They better have some insanely strong rescue workers on call as some of the scooter bound people probably weight more than 400 pounds excluding the scooter. Trying to carry someone that size that has legs incapable of supporting thie own wieght will not be easy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They better have some insanely strong rescue workers on call as some of the scooter bound people probably weight more than 400 pounds excluding the scooter. Trying to carry someone that size that has legs incapable of supporting thie own wieght will not be easy.

It's common for fire-fighters to have to carry people in emergency situations, I am sure they are prepared for that sort of thing.

lazyboy97o

No different than any other rescue situation. What happens if there is an emergency in one of the new hotel towers being built and the firefighters have to rescue persons unable to use the stairs?

thomas998

No different than any other rescue situation. What happens if there is an emergency in one of the new hotel towers being built and the firefighters have to rescue persons unable to use the stairs?
Yes they have to carry some of them down stairs, but at least stairways are wider than a ladder, not to mention in most instances the firefighter use the elevators.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom