What will happen when the Skyliner breaks down?

mbroschak

Original Poster
Living up in Canada’s mountain country, gondolas are nothing new for us. There have been times skiing (although not that often), when the gondola will stop for 15 or 20 min, or in rare cases, people have to be painstakingly “rescued” from them when they breakdown.
I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a 20 min stoppage would be with 10 people in one of these and no a/c in 100 degree heat.
Has anyone heard of the emergency procedure when (not if) this happens?

kap91

What about the manual mode @Chef Mickey brought up? I wont pretend I know anything about Gondola's, but there is no backup before the fire rescue?
Pretty sure it's customary for there to be a diesel generator or engine at the wheelhouse in case of a power outage. Evacuation would probably only be if there was some kind of mechanical failure or other issue at the station.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There's probably many possible reasons these things can break down, but at least if the power goes out, most ski lifts have a diesel generator for back-up. I assume these gondolas will as well.

Yes, the hub has a large backup generator that you can see in the aerial photos, this would provide backup power if the main power goes out. There is also supposedly an option for a diesel engines that is attached directly to the gear box which would be an additional back up, this would also work in the case of the drive motor failing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Living up in Canada’s mountain country, gondolas are nothing new for us. There have been times skiing (although not that often), when the gondola will stop for 15 or 20 min, or in rare cases, people have to be painstakingly “rescued” from them when they breakdown.
I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a 20 min stoppage would be with 10 people in one of these and no a/c in 100 degree heat.
Has anyone heard of the emergency procedure when (not if) this happens?

I am sure Disney understands what that scenario would be like since I am pretty sure it has happened on the monorails, and those don't have windows that can open.

donsullivan

Premium Member
A lot of people will have to wait to get rescued.
Then will come the stories of how Disney ruined their vacations, scared their princess/prince, etc.
And they will probably demand some sort of monetary compensation, maybe even threaten legal action.
Just my guess.

Please, this topic has been beaten into the ground and the doom-and-gloom around the gondola's just needs to stop.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
drogon-rains-fire-in-the-spoils-of-war.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom