What will happen when the Skyliner breaks down?

World_Showcase_Lover007

B6B01FB9-0434-4B0F-BFED-01F10BFEA709.gif

mergatroid

Peoples reaction to this subject always fascinates me.

There are elevated cable gondolas/lifts that have been operating in nearly 60 countries in virtually every conceivable climate and topographic condition imaginable for decades. Last I read, more than 18 billion people have been transported via some kind of cable lift system system since the early 70's in the US alone.

The number of fatalities in the US since then...less than 20. In spite of this so many people seem to think that Disney will need it's own morgue to deal will all of the casualties from the Skyliner.

You are 5 times more likely to die in elevator than on gondola. Escalators kill 30 people a year in the US alone. Where was all this panic when the Land pavilion opened with 2 escalators and an elevator just feet from each other?

Great post

Goofyernmost

What happens when the skyliner breaks down??

Based on what I have read on this thread and the other main Gondola thread one of two things are going to happen. 1. everybody dies a miserable death follow by being snack time for the massive amounts of hungry Alligators that Disney has planted there to remove all evidence as to why families never got back home OR 2. Everyone rides them uneventfully for a few minutes to DHS or Epcot and enjoys a fun day in the parks and then rides back to their room in their chosen resort. Number one isn't going to happen mostly because the chance of any disaster happening is slimmer then the chance of someone knocking on my door and giving me a couple million in cash.

Not to worry, if someone does come up to my door with a loose 2 million, I will be sure to alert you so you can avoid the Gondola's of death.

Kingtut

Peoples reaction to this subject always fascinates me.

There are elevated cable gondolas/lifts that have been operating in nearly 60 countries in virtually every conceivable climate and topographic condition imaginable for decades. Last I read, more than 18 billion people have been transported via some kind of cable lift system system since the early 70's in the US alone.

The number of fatalities in the US since then...less than 20. In spite of this so many people seem to think that Disney will need it's own morgue to deal will all of the casualties from the Skyliner.

You are 5 times more likely to die in elevator than on gondola. Escalators kill 30 people a year in the US alone. Where was all this panic when the Land pavilion opened with 2 escalators and an elevator just feet from each other?
I was originally dismissive of the Disney Gondolas of Death predictions, but I have been looking at the Boeing 737 MAX issues and realized that while no single person will design a system in such a way that it's users have a good chance of dying. In today's massive companies with committee after committee after committee - we can end up with decisions where the actual safety is impacted. Not intentionally but in a thousand little cuts where doing it this way is OK because X will cover it. Then the next committee decides that X can be reduced and so on. It's not an evil intent but a result of systems where no single person can fully comprehend the ramifications of each decision- and furthermore no single person knows all of the decisions and trade-offs made during design and implementation.

Boeing would never design a flight system which tried to crash the plane but ..... So Disney would never design a gondola system which would put guests at risk - right?

Perhaps we should be a bit more forgiving when people voice their concerns about potential safety issues.

I was originally dismissive of the Disney Gondolas of Death predictions, but I have been looking at the Boeing 737 MAX issues and realized that while no single person will design a system in such a way that it's users have a good chance of dying. In today's massive companies with committee after committee after committee - we can end up with decisions where the actual safety is impacted. Not intentionally but in a thousand little cuts where doing it this way is OK because X will cover it. Then the next committee decides that X can be reduced and so on. It's not an evil intent but a result of systems where no single person can fully comprehend the ramifications of each decision- and furthermore no single person knows all of the decisions and trade-offs made during design and implementation.

Boeing would never design a flight system which tried to crash the plane but ..... So Disney would never design a gondola system which would put guests at risk - right?

Perhaps we should be a bit more forgiving when people voice their concerns about potential safety issues.

The way I understood the Boeing debacle is (and I could be wrong...I'm certain I will be corrected otherwise), the safety feature that would have prevented the crashes was an add-on. That would be like optional doors on a gondola.

lazyboy97o

Except that this isn’t a Disney design and many of the concerns are based in willful ignorance.

The way I understood the Boeing debacle is (and I could be wrong...I'm certain I will be corrected otherwise), the safety feature that would have prevented the crashes was an add-on. That would be like optional doors on a gondola.
It was assumed to be an add-on by some because it just didn’t work.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It was assumed to be an add-on by some because it just didn’t work.
Boeing CEO was on CBS last night saying "The implementation of that software, we did not do it correctly. Our engineers discovered that."

No, Sherlock, the 300-some-odd passengers and crew who died discovered that. Your engineers are busy scrambling eggs to try and fix it.

And as for "I'd put my family on a 737 MAX without hesitation," I'm guessing his future ex-wife's lawyer will use that in court.

Goofyernmost

As soon as the Gondola's are moving at 35000 feet, don't worry, I will be asking a lot of questions.

Goofyernmost

Clearly, you are not a Wal Mart shopper...
Don't know about that, but, I am a recent possessor of a medical problem that will force me to use a scooter when I get to WDW. I am tired of the implication that people that use them are just faking the need. I can only hope for you that you don't get something that changes your whole life, because having ignorant people judge you is not a pleasant thing. The few that are faking the need, don't know what a pain in the butt those things are and how much you miss because of it. I'll bet they only do that once before they figure out how much effort is involved with using one of those in a theme park. Good backs and legs are a thing that a lot of people take for granted. Not everyone has that good fortune.

RollerCoaster

I was originally dismissive of the Disney Gondolas of Death predictions, but I have been looking at the Boeing 737 MAX issues and realized that while no single person will design a system in such a way that it's users have a good chance of dying. In today's massive companies with committee after committee after committee - we can end up with decisions where the actual safety is impacted.

You are absolutely ridiculous! Comparing these ropeways to Boeing is insane. The aerial ropeway systems that Disney has purchased are not innovative or new in anyway. It's a proven system, in operation at thousands of sites all over the world.

Most of you don't understand aerial ropeways or Gondolas. Clearly there is a lack of understanding about the safety systems that are in place. In addition to the primary electrical drive motors, each Gondola section will have least one backup motor to drive the section (typically the backup is a diesel powered motor). The secondary drive is typically used in case of a power failure or serious problem with the primary drive. After a lift is evacuated the backup drive typically can be used for regular operation, but at a reduced capacity. However, Disney has put in place additional redundancy by putting in backup power generators incase of a power failure. Those generators will allow Disney to operate the entire system without any service interruption.

Under most shut scenarios the gondolas will be evacuated by simply stopping the loading, and then unloading the onboard passengers at the next station. If the rope speed is not reduced the time to evacuate will be no longer than the travel time of the span being ridden. In other words it will take minutes. The longest span will be the two section ride from Rivera Resort to EPCOT estimated to be 9 minutes.

During wind events Dopplemayr has a set of parameters involving wind direction and speed at which the system can safely operate. Wind may impact the speed at which the ropeway may operate, but not shut it down entirely, so on windy days the system may operate at a reduced speed. Anemometers will be positioned around the various spans and give feedback to the brains of each lift. The system will automatically slow or shut down if wind speed and direction exceeds operating parameters. Management will then make decisions on whether to slow, temporarily stop, or shut down the lift. Under high wind conditions the lift in most situations can be operated very slowly to evacuate the line and then shut down when clear. The lift can also be safely stopped and then restarted if wind is gusting at times.

Line evacuations are rare and always a last option scenario. Typically only done after catastrophic failure.

The lack of air conditioning is not of huge concern. The interior of the cabins will provide shade from the sun and be well ventilated. If the cabins were enclosed with no ventilation then it would be a concern. Sitting in one of the cabins is really going to be no different than walking around outdoors in one of the theme parks.

Disney will have automatic systems to transfer cabins on and off the line should there be a maintenance issue with an individual cabin or grip. Incidents like this may temporarily stop a line, but likely for not more than a few minutes, if at all.

In the past 12 ski seasons I've skied 556 days and taken a total of 8,857 lift rides. Out of all those rides I've never been evacuated and I can count on one hand the number of times the lift was stopped for more than 10 minutes and never longer than about 15 minutes. The concerns over the Disney Gondolas are unwarranted!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom