What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

James Alucobond

Even if we do get an Encanto attraction, I somehow doubt they're going to build a Columbia pavilion to go with it.

If they put it in EPCOT, I could see them just sticking it in the Mexico pavilion and going, "Well, it's close enough..."
Given their concern for inclusion lately, such a move would have absolutely horrible optics. I doubt they would do this.

Sorcerer Mickey

Sadly, my bet is that little to no new info is presented at D23. It will end up being updates on Tron, Play Pavilion, Epcot Spine Project, Toy Story Restaurant, basically all the stuff we already know about.

I fear we've entered another phase like the mid 2000s, where all new projects will dry up for a while while they recoup from the pandemic.

Stagnation until Universal opens a groundbreaking new project (in this case, Epic Universe) and steals considerable market share from Disney. Disney then spends the next decade responding.

History repeats itself.

SplashJacket

Festival of Wonders parade at Epcot or Animal Kingdom

6a5531112381331.601322f73417e.jpg
af1bb0112381331.601322f734741.jpg

018d60112381331.601322f7389b5.jpg

5037cf112381331.601322f739ede.jpg
04f743112381331.601322f739376.jpg

5051ff112381331.601322f732ba2.jpg

fc6a76112381331.601322f739931.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do think they will announce something new for WDW. They need to counter growing disgruntled sentiment about the parks and deflecting with some new shiny thing can be valuable. Plus, they'll want to have something opening to counter Epic Universe and draw attention at that time.

With the ability to monetize new rides via Genie+, they also have greater incentive to loosen the pursue strings to build. I'll be curious how GotG does in that regard - I expect it to sell out quickly like RotR does for LL - which can be further proof of concept in getting return for the investment in new builds.

@ToTBellHop has mentioned they have significant plans ready to go that are just waiting to be greenlit. Seems like DAK would be the next park to get attention if something is announced.

If they want to have a response to Epic Universe, they better announce something given how long it takes Disney to build things. Like with Destination D23, I’m expecting announcements on previously announced projects.
Something substantial?? No way. And no - a parade is nothing.

The “response” for their park issues - and the completion - was about 15 years ago when Iger sat for far too long. And “adds” now will exasperate the situation. It will be crunch on capacity that’s no where close to turning the tide.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What if... it never happens? There's a part of me that believes it was announced as a knee-jerk reaction, and they've scrambled to come up with a way to make it happen and have little-to-nothing to show for it, for whatever reason (I could be 100% wrong, of course, but the lack of movement after how many years makes you wonder...). I mean, the characters in the ride have no ties to the movie, they were plucked from it and a new story for them was written for the ride.
It appears to me the splash thing is off…just how it seems right now

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney had planned anything to counter Epic Universe they would have already announced it. Epic Universe was supposed to up late next year. Disney knew that.
These threads often gloss over the new reality that dirt would have to be moving RIGHT now for it to open in 5 years. So there is a minimum 5 year gap after tron.

Do I feel guilty that Disney stock is down $17 in 3 trading days? No…I do not. Sam I am.

BrianLo

It's way too early for Encanto. Unless Chapek pulls a Bob Iger and announces an Avatar like project before the Imagineers are really aware. Then its mostly a vapourware announcement.

We still don't really have Moana integration in most of the parks.

What is generally interesting though is that for a first time in a decade there really isn't much currently in the works to fallback on. They finally can't trot out Star Wars. Disneyland's MMRR and MK's Tron both being fairly covered entities.

Bocabear

So...I guess then it will be an announcement of new cupcakes and up-charge opportunities...
Or they could keep banging the Tron and GOTG drum... Maybe they will have more information about Journey Of Water...
It is amazing to see how lackluster their announcements have become.

ppete1975

The good
  • Some ride announcement nobody is expecting but will blow the roof off the building (it will take 6 years to build.. but it will be awesome and get alot of press).
  • Stitch replacement
  • updates on epcot timelines
  • the rebuild of the studios... bye bye indie, sadly star tours... and one ill put ill put in the bad. This will open a new land.... or more star wars?
  • Launch bay being repurposed.
  • Studio centric- epcot just needs to be finished in their minds
  • Mary poppins streetscape (ride.. maybe maybe not) but cherry tree lane overlay coming

The bad
  • The loss of muppets 3d for the new land
  • Nothing for figment or the imagination building
  • a long closure of sse
  • speedway going away (although they may swap to electric vehicles they already have backstage.. which id be happy with)
  • coco overlay for mexico (lots of issues with this one... space, line queue space, we need more rides that you dont have to wait forever for, and 3 cabs....
  • Seas reimagining that requires the aquariums closed to the public for the 3-5 years only leaving little mermaid open to the public.
  • Splash closure date
  • An announcement nobody is expecting and es off the Disney fans but will create 100 threads for the next 5 years on this message board.
  • And only closures will happen in the next 3 years... the completion of anything outside the quick stuff is 5-6 years away
  • NEW CONSTRUCTION HOLES
  • Something woke... an attraction built for no other reason but to show that Disney is hip and up with the times. It wont be a worthwhile attraction just something to show that they are listening. And it will be shoehorned, like they have done in the movies with lgbtq+ themes. Please understand this is nothing against them doing a project like this.. but it will only be done for publicity (like the splash announcement) and will be an IP that nobody cares about. This if done correctly with many of the IPS they have and not called out how woke they are, forced down your throat, painfully obvious what they are doing, and publicized to death (about the historical importance, not the ride) could be great.
Please note these are all guesses, I know nobody in Disney.

Surferboy567

Long Post Incoming:

While I definitely understand where many are coming from I believe something substantial has to be announced here. As many know D23 is held once every 2 years. This event is the only reliable place we can expect news other then the abnormal parks blog article or sometimes at a shareholders meeting.

Their has been a cycle I have wanted to write about for a while. I have been thinking about it recently I’ll dub it the D23 announcement cycle. Their are a couple of stages of this cycle and it goes a little something like this.

Stage 1: Initial Announcement - The attraction, experience or whatever it may be is announced. Many different opinions on the matter are discussed. Hype is usually high, and faith in investment in the parks is also generally high. Speculation is in full force.

Stage 2: The Long Haul - The attraction, experience or whatever is around 1 - 2 years into construction it has finally set in for some that Disney takes their time with construction. Usually not in a good “take their time” way but in a way that purposely spreads out the construction timeline to spread out costs over quarters or other reasons. Fans are annoyed most of the time (rightfully so). Faith in investment is medium. Speculation is also dwindling.

Stage 3: Disappointment - The attraction, experience or whatever has been under construction for such a long time that many (at least for the time being) have lost interest. Faith in investment is low.

Stage 4 Whispers - The attraction, experience or whatever is at the stage where it is looking ready to open. Hype, and speculation among the fans are reaching levels close to Stage 1.

Stage 6 Opening - The attraction, experience or whatever is finally open or in soft opening. Hype, and Speculation is extremely high. Many are excited to experience the “new” thing.

Stage 7 Retrospective - The attraction, experience or whatever has been open for a while. Enough time for solid opinions to be formed. Most have experienced the attraction. Fans reflect on what they thought before and compare to the final result. In many cases (but not all) some realize that what they have been saying isn’t a good idea for the past few years actually was a good idea in the final result.

How does this tie into D23 you may ask? Well, this cycle repeats every single D23 when a new large scale announcement is made and is actually built. Like I said before D23 is every 2 years. Sometimes these projects are spread over 1-2 D23 presentations. That can be anything from 2-4 years (sometimes more).

Right before a D23 normally the big “new” thing has opened. Their are no new additions to be excited about and hype, speculation, and faith in investment is at an all time low. That is until a few days or weeks before the presentation where our insiders may of heard something about what may be at the presentation. Restoring faith or dampening expectations. Usually another “new” thing is announced to fill the void of the other “new” thing that just opened and the cycle repeats every D23 (normally, their are some exceptions).

This D23 announcement cycle of not really getting any tangible news on large scale projects for 2 years (beyond your occasional Destination D and similar events) is both a blessing and a curse. Waiting for so long on news is obviously going to put a damper on excitement for “new” things. On the other hand though when D23 is going it enables Disney to rule whatever weekend that expo takes place on with all the new announcements both parks, and other. If that year’s D23 ends up being a disappointment usually we don’t hear much tangible things till the next D23 or (in some rare cases) Destination D.

Right now we find ourselves at the end of a cycle. Guardians and TRON are the only two large scale attractions we know about. The EPCOT overhaul at least the part they announced is down to finishing the spine and Moana. Once Guardians opens (probably soon) TRON will be the only “new” attraction we know about. After that opens, the EPCOT spine and Moana are completed. Their will be nothing to speculate on. It only seems logical that a large scale announcement of some sort has to be coming to fill the void left by the other “new” things. Of course, I can’t really take into account COVID and management changes and how that effects anything or how many “new” things are in active development but at least in my experience this seems to be how the cycle works.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Long Post Incoming:

While I definitely understand where many are coming from I believe something substantial has to be announced here. As many know D23 is held once every 2 years. This event is the only reliable place we can expect news other then the abnormal parks blog article or sometimes at a shareholders meeting.

Their has been a cycle I have wanted to write about for a while. I have been thinking about it recently I’ll dub it the D23 announcement cycle. Their are a couple of stages of this cycle and it goes a little something like this.

Stage 1: Initial Announcement - The attraction, experience or whatever it may be is announced. Many different opinions on the matter are discussed. Hype is usually high, and faith in investment in the parks is also generally high. Speculation is in full force.

Stage 2: The Long Haul - The attraction, experience or whatever is around 1 - 2 years into construction it has finally set in for some that Disney takes their time with construction. Usually not in a good “take their time” way but in a way that purposely spreads out the construction timeline to spread out costs over quarters or other reasons. Fans are annoyed most of the time (rightfully so). Faith in investment is medium. Speculation is also dwindling.

Stage 3: Disappointment - The attraction, experience or whatever has been under construction for such a long time that many (at least for the time being) have lost interest. Faith in investment is low.

Stage 4 Whispers - The attraction, experience or whatever is at the stage where it is looking ready to open. Hype, and speculation among the fans are reaching levels close to Stage 1.

Stage 6 Opening - The attraction, experience or whatever is finally open or in soft opening. Hype, and Speculation is extremely high. Many are excited to experience the “new” thing.

Stage 7 Retrospective - The attraction, experience or whatever has been open for a while. Enough time for solid opinions to be formed. Most have experienced the attraction. Fans reflect on what they thought before and compare to the final result. In many cases (but not all) some realize that what they have been saying isn’t a good idea for the past few years actually was a good idea in the final result.

How does this tie into D23 you may ask? Well, this cycle repeats every single D23 when a new large scale announcement is made and is actually built. Like I said before D23 is every 2 years. Sometimes these projects are spread over 1-2 D23 presentations. That can be anything from 2-4 years (sometimes more).

Right before a D23 normally the big “new” thing has opened. Their are no new additions to be excited about and hype, speculation, and faith in investment is at an all time low. That is until a few days or weeks before the presentation where our insiders may of heard something about what may be at the presentation. Restoring faith or dampening expectations. Usually another “new” thing is announced to fill the void of the other “new” thing that just opened and the cycle repeats every D23 (normally, their are some exceptions).

This D23 announcement cycle of not really getting any tangible news on large scale projects for 2 years (beyond your occasional Destination D and similar events) is both a blessing and a curse. Waiting for so long on news is obviously going to put a damper on excitement for “new” things. On the other hand though when D23 is going it enables Disney to rule whatever weekend that expo takes place on with all the new announcements both parks, and other. If that year’s D23 ends up being a disappointment usually we don’t hear much tangible things till the next D23 or (in some rare cases) Destination D.

Right now we find ourselves at the end of a cycle. Guardians and TRON are the only two large scale attractions we know about. The EPCOT overhaul at least the part they announced is down to finishing the spine and Moana. Once Guardians opens (probably soon) TRON will be the only “new” attraction we know about. After that opens, the EPCOT spine and Moana are completed. Their will be nothing to speculate on. It only seems logical that a large scale announcement of some sort has to be coming to fill the void left by the other “new” things. Of course, I can’t really take into account COVID and management changes and how that effects anything or how many “new” things are in active development but at least in my experience this seems to be how the cycle works.
At the end of the day…it’s “net zero”

We need to pay this Iger era announcement schtick no mind. It’s worthless.

You know what a good “announcement” is? Two new C tickets in wdw online In 18-24 months…little fuss or fanfair. They will never stabilize the parks until the simple stuff is reinstated.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom